What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Fall is finally settling in the neighborhood. Leaves are starting to swirl down from the branches with or without help from the occasional breeze. The temperature today is kind of brisk as I sit here with my window ajar. I'm thinking of a big pot of hearty beef stew and biscuits. I blurted it out so Johnny could here me. He makes the best beef stew and vegetable soup.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I had forgotten I had some lightly breaded chicken patties in the freezer. I cooked up those with some french fries. I cooked them a little longer than stated, and the patty I had was a little crispy, but not dry or hard. I usually don't have such a heavy supper, but i was really hungry, and I toasted up some bread and made a sandwich with mayo, a little mustard, and dill relish, and it was delicious. I have leftovers for today/tomorrow, which makes me happy:D.

K E Gordon and Von Jones like this.
  3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I am going to go with a grilled cheese sandwich with some tomato. I have a ton of butternut squash, but I ate some of that for lunch. I have been eating Spaghetti with meat sauce, but I had that the last two nighs time for a break. Omlettes are also a possibilty, maybe I will have that tommorrow. I had a coupon for free cheese which was great because it was a 3.49 value. Food Lion carried 3 brands but I opted for the sliced, as I thought it would be a bit more functional than the shredded.

Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Our supper last night was the specialty for chicken which is called Tinola. The ingredients are chicken, one whole for the family, a piece of green papaya, moringa leaves and the usual sautee elements of crushed garlic, sliced onions and ginger. Here is the pic of the ingredients before cooking... IMG_3447 raw tinola.jpg

After the sautee of the elements, the chicken is added and stirred (pardon me if this is the wrong term) until the chicken looks cooked. Add water and let it boil before adding the sliced papaya. I forgot the salt or fish sauce, whichever you may want. That is the seasoning - either salt or fish sauce. After 3 minutes, add the moringa leaves and cook until the papaya becomes a bit tender. Ready to serve and best to eat with a cup of rice.
    IMG_3449 tinola.jpg

5. Diane Lane

Registered

That's really interesting. I enjoy seeing/hearing about dishes from other places. I love fish sauce. I'd definitely be using that, although I also love salt. Y'all use different combinations of ingredients and spices than we do here, and I'm sure that's based on availability. Chicken sounds really good. I did have chicken patties the past few days, but now after seeing your pictures, I'm craving barbecue chicken for some reason.

I had to eat late last night, because the power was off. I had planned to cook up the sorghum, but that didn't happen. Even though my stove is gas, it's got an electronic ignition, so wouldn't work without electricity. I would like to make the sorghum today and have it with sausage and some sort of vegetable. I can either do that or go grocery shopping, but probably not both, because I'm running on very low energy today. Either way, I'm sure both will be accomplished by the end of the weekend.

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I was running late after getting out of the doctors office Monday so I stopped and bought some fried chicken. We had that Monday and yesterday.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I had some chicken, some jasmine rice, and broccoli, actually a broccoli cauliflower blend. I got one of those big bags of chicken legs for 5.90, which is not a bad price for 10 lbs of legs. I may make some fried chicken. I haven't done that for a long time. The chcken I made was baked with all sorts of spices. I like my spices, and chicken is the perfect medium for this in my opinion. Jasimine rice is supposed to be aromatic, but all I could smell was the chicken!

8. Diane Lane

Registered

@K E Gordon Wow, that's a great deal on the chicken, where did you purchase it? I've never seen a deal like that around here. I like jasmine rice, but I also don't find it to be particularly aromatic. That might be nice with some jasmine tea, which I do enjoy the scent of. I love the broccoli cauliflower mix.

I have some chicken tenders thawing in the fridge. I still haven't cooked the sorghum, and also noticed I have some pearl barley. I might make one of those to go along with the chicken tenders and some sort of veggies. I do have a cauliflower/broccoli mixed bag in the freezer, so I might just use those.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have some fish in the freezer; so I am going to make some fresh tartar sauce to go along with the fish, grill those later, and steam some fresh broccoli for dinner.
    Yesterday I made deviled eggs, and we still have some of those left, so I may just chop them up into egg salad for sandwiches.
    Otherwise, we will just have the rest of those for dinner, too.

The new Walmart Neighborhood Market just down the road opened this week, and sent out a flyer to let everyone know that it is open now.
    We have never been in one of the neighborhood markets; so we are going to go and have a look and see what they carry besides food. The store looks pretty large for not having anything else besides a grocery; but that is all theymentioned on the flyer.
    There is also a convenience store and gas station which is part of it, too.

10. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Great northern beans, seasoned with some bacon ends, asparagus and cornbread. Didn't need nuthin' else.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Today I cooked fried chicken, added mushrooms, onions, and peppers, and then we had a kale and cucumber salad along with that.
    Bobby found a recipe for protein bars that are home-made, and he made some of those this afternoon, and has them in the refrigerator chilling. He gave me a taste of one, and they are delicious ! They have protein powder, coconut milk, oatmeal, and peanut butter in them, and all he had to do was mix it all up.
    We really NEED a mixer; so I am checking out Amazon to see what they have that is cheap. Before I get one, I will check the thrift store and the liquidation store tomorrow, and then buy what ever we can fit into the budget the best.
    An amazing thing is that those old-fashioned hand mixers (like our grandma had) cost just as much ($17) as some of the cheaper electric handheld mixers cost.
    I want to be able to whip cream, and stuff like that, so what I really am looking for is a mixer that can be used as a handheld or with the stand and bowl for things that need longer mixing.
    I have been looking at the recipes for low-carb bread, and they need a lot of mixing to hold their shape when baked.

12. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Tonight I'm having fried zucchini. I normally don't have any fried foods, but this is my one of my favorite things to eat. I'll eat zucchini any way you can think to cook it.

For some reason I'll eat all the veggies on my plate before I see if I have space for meat.

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

I love fried zucchini, too !
    I had never tasted a squash of any kind until after i was grown and married. I don't know if my folks didn't like them, or maybe we just didn't have a good way to cook them. I am not sure.
    Anyway, one day a friend of ours made some batter dipped fried zucchini slices, and I immediately loved them !
    I still like to make them that way; but because of trying to avoid the flour, I usually just sauté them instead. Sometimes, I have them with eggs for breakfast. I also love eggplant and tomatoes which have been battered and then fried, and when I make eggplant parmesan, I always get extra eggplant so that Bobby and I can have some of the fried slices of that, too.
    I also like all of the winter squashes, and we often have those along with a meal. Since they are not inflammatory like a potato is, they make a good choice.
    Spaghetti squash is another favorite, and since it is low-carb, I can use that for making vegetable spaghetti.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Joe Riley likes this.
  14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I too love all squash, but I still have problems with eggplant. I wasn't brought up with it, as you weren't with squash period. So I'm not sure how to get rid of the bitter taste. On recommendation from a friend I tried soaking it in milk, but that didn't work. Is there ar sure fire way of getting it to go away?

15. Yvonne Smith

I have never tried to change it because I like the taste of eggplant just like it is. I think that once you put it in with the tomato sauce and make eggplant parmesan, you don't notice the slight bitterness like you do if you are just batter-dipping and frying it.
    I had some kind of soup that had eggplant in it when Robin took me to the Greek restaurant, and I really liked the eggplant cooked that way, too.
    It had an odd name, and I can't quite remember what it was called right now, but it was sure good ! They served it with hummus and little flatbreads of some kind.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Ina I. Wonder likes this.