What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think Ive had anything fried or batter dipped in 13 years. My husband liked fried foods so I'd make breaded pork chops etc for him but since he died, like I said elsewhere I don't have flour in my pantry.

My daughter's family doesn't like food fried unless it's chicken nuggets for the boys or KFC but all other meat they eat grilled or any other way but frying or breaded.

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've got some frozen pollock in the freezer. I have leftover chicken for tonight's supper, but I think I'll pull that out and let it defrost, so I can have it tomorrow. I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I might do a potato side dish and spinach for sides.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Another native dish in the Philippines is one of our favorites called Pork Sinigang. It is actually a soup dish that is sour with the use of tamarind. The cooking is as simple as boiling the pork and when tender, the tamarind broth is mixed plus salt to taste and then the vegetables. The vegetables include taro which thickens the soup and also enhances the taste. This dish is popular in Manila and not in the rural areas. IMG_3497 pork sinigang.jpg

By the way, the side dish (correct me if this is not the correct term) is a mixture of shrimp paste, sliced tomato, sliced oinion and young leaves of cashew. Yeah, you read it right, that's cashew leaves.

K E Gordon and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

I've got the pollock defrosting in the fridge, so I'll cook that up later. I will probably bake it, but I might pan fry it if I get the energy. I'm also going to make some scalloped potatoes and mixed broccoli and cauliflower (frozen) to go with it. Last night I got lazy and just had some canned beef ravioli, and I'll have those leftovers for lunch.

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

We had lunch at the Olive Garden, I was good, I only had the salad and a couple of breadsticks. I just had a small chicken leg and peas for dinner. I am going to be weighing myself tommorrow I think, so that keeps me from overdoing it. I have had a pretty good week, so I expect to see the scale a bit lower.:)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Tonight I had a slightly spicy lentil Dahl soup....followed by some Hot Smoked, trout fillets in a dill and orange sauce... :)

K E Gordon likes this.
  7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Smells like Beef Stew or something similar coming from the kitchen.
    Hope there's some French bread or cornbread.
    Won't ask. Just happy I'm not in the kitchen and watching football.;)

Sheldon Scott and K E Gordon like this.
  8. K E Gordon

Registered

I have some leftover barbecue. I think I will make a sandwich with it, and hmmm, pickles, and maybe some cucumbers too. Also, a deviled egg, I believe. That sounds good. I did hard boil some eggs last night
    so I am already to starting eating them. They will be delicous I am sure.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Registered

I'm craving chili cheese fries, but I have no fries, and no potatoes, and I'm not going to the store. What's a girl to do? Well, I do happen to have a can of corned beef hash, and I also have a package of frozen hash browns. I'm not sure which I'm going to use, or maybe I'll just use them both. I loved when I put the fried egg on top of my last batch of chili cheese fries, so eggs will definitely be involved. I'm getting hungry just typing about this. Maybe I should eat breakfast before thinking about supper .

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Making a curry tonight plus home made naans.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Diane Lane

Registered

Are the naans easy to make? If I remember correctly, they're either a flat or pocket bread? I still haven't made homemade pitas or lavash, but I want to make both. I've purchased naan in the past, but I can't remember which it resembled more.

12. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I posted the recipe in your pizza crust thread. They are delicious. It's hot today so definitely eating outside x

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Registered

O.k., thanks, I'll look for it. I forgot to back up all of my recipes and pictures before switching computers, so I'm starting from scratch until I'm able to shut this down and reconnect that one and back it up.

14. Diane Lane

Registered

Last night's supper was wonderful. I cooked up the hash browns yesterday, and then layered them last night with chili and topped it off with a fried egg. I think I actually like the dish with the hash browns even better than the french fries. Tonight will be a repeat performance, if my stomach holds up.

K E Gordon likes this.
  15. K E Gordon

Registered

I am trying to remember what I had last night.. Oh yeah, I had a couple of hotdogs wrapped in crescent rolls, with a side of green beans. I am not really crazy about that dinner normally, but for some reason, I had a taste for it. Tonight will probably be fishsticks. I seem to be on a "fish theme" today since I had tuna for lunch. I should be getting paid on Saturday, so grocery shopping is on the agenda.