What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

@Sheldon Scott especially creamy mash made with milk and a little butter. Mmmh

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't eat any now but I also like liver, mostly chicken liver. My mom made liver a lot as I recall.

My husband loved it too so I made it many times.

The best ever is Goose liver which I had in Hungary. Thankfully I was oblivious back then to why it's not allowed in the US. It wasn't cheap even in Hungary but the first year we moved there we didn't buy a house so we lived in a hotel for a long time and ate out every day.

I think I ordered goose liver every time.

3. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you miss Hungary @Chrissy Page. Such a traditional country

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I probably do, I had the best 6-7 years there. But that was then in 1997-2003 with a husband and money to burn.

But I also met some of the nicest people that I still keep up with on FB. I knew some that didn't have a toilet in their house and they welcomed you with such a meal and you knew it must have cost them.

I was back in 2006 for a 3 week visit with my mom and my baby sister and her hubby and 3 kids...we had a blast.

My mom wanted to go with me one last time but she became too ill for that long of a trip.

Since 2006, many of my husband's family have died...including my SIL, and 2 BILs. Also a distant relative of mine
    Has died.

Maybe one day, I'll get to go back. I do have invites from friends all the time. Maybe if I move in with my daughter I can save my money for a final trip there. :)

If I do, I may take a part of my husband's ashes and place them by his parents graves. He left Hungary in 1956 because he had to...he might never have left if not for the 1956 revolution, then I would never have met him and my 2 wonderful children wouldn't exist nor would my 5 grandsons.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't miss the UK at all. I think Skype is the perfect invention. Our one grandson calls me Nanny plane. We are going back to the UK in a few weeks and it will be great to catch up with family and friends. I am completely settled and have some lovely Spanish friends.

I think it's a nice thought if you could move in with your daughter as long as you won't miss your independence x

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Gosh, I should try acting because I can cry at the drop of a hat....thinking of Hungary always makes me cry.

It's funny how easily I can cry lately.

How long have you been gone?? @Honey Gee? How far is where you're living now from where you lived in the UK?

I'm such a thread hijacker....sorry people.

I'm having comfort food today for dinner...don't know what yet though. It will go well with the rain.

Back on track.

7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

So, anyway...I did not have liver for supper!! I had some leftover turkey meatloaf, half a baked potato, and green beans. The group I did the other day had to do with fruit cups, so I had to purchase a fruit cup today..and that was dessert, except it was a bit odd, the fruit was mixed with applesauce.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Well today's meal dujour was baked chicken with instant mashed potatoes and a few glasses of red wine. I didn't feel like making any veggies. I am missing my microwave bigtime. Well it will soon be resolved I am sure. My sister was telling me about one they bought from GE that blew up!!! Say what? She said it must have been defective...ya think??? :p:D

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Mmm, I have liver now and then. My favorite was calves liver, back before I thought about the source of such things.

I made another pizza last night. I used the same toppings as last time, a little pizza sauce, probably about 5 ounces of mixed grated cheese, pepperoncini, pepperoni and red pepper flakes. It came out delicious. I had to toss the last of my milk the other day, and didn't want to use up any of my meager amount of half and half, so I opened a can of evaporated milk and used that for the 1/2 cup of milk called for in the crust recipe. It didn't rise quite as much as last time, which wasn't that much, seeing as it was fairly flat but thin, but I think the evaporated milk gave it a tiny bit of sweetness which was actually very nice. I'll have the rest of that for supper tonight, and I have a pound of ground beef defrosting for tomorrow.

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Tonight I had a bowl of Smoked Haddock chowder, with Mozzarella and tomato crispy pastries to dip in....deeeelicious :p

Sheldon Scott and Diane Lane like this.
  11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Well now, how can I let you guys have all the fun. I sort of quit cooking very much after Michael died. My hubby was very trim up until the last three years when the meds caused him to bloat. But that man loved to eat, and I spent a lot of time cooking for him.

But I've been listening to the other single ladies talk about what they were cooking, so I started to cook again. And, I now have Bobert to cook for sometimes. He hates veggies so it's a challenge.

Tonight I fixed two 1" pork chops with a medium size zucchini scooped and filled with a mixture of zucchini, cheese and wild rice. Plus one baked potatoe for Bobert in case I couldn't get him to eat the zucchini, and I couldn't. I also fixed a casserole of wild rice, chicken breast strips, onions, bell peppers and cheese to put in oven tomorrow. Bobert's mother and father are popping in to visit, so I thought I might treat them. I'm also fixing a Splenda chocolate mousse graham cracker crust pie for their dessert.

Now I'm tired. :rolleyes: :p

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yum, those sound delicious @Ina I. Wonder and @Holly Saunders. I don't fry all that often, but I made up for that yesterday. I fried up Bermuda onion strings, potatoes and ground beef. I also made up some hamburgers for a few meals. I'm all set for a few days now. I ate about half of the onion strings right out of the pan they were so scrumptious! I have one small piece of pizza left, and I'll probably have that for lunch, then some of the onion/potato/beef mixture for supper.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I may just eat veggies...I went on a veggie spree the other day and I haven't made any of them so I'm cooking them all up before they spoil.

Have a drs appt in the morning so I want to lose 5 lbs today. Lololol

14. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Off for a Chinese tonight it's hubby' s birthday so we are celebrating the move and his birthday. Thing is we did the same last night :p just found out the owner of the complex we have just move to turns off the WiFi if he thinks you are being excessive. Word is out he has flown back to the UK..So free for all

Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't had much of an appetite lately. Some days I don't want much at all, other times I feel hungry but don't eat much.

Yesterday I was feeling hungry so I cut a ribeye steak in half and cooked one half my way and the other to suit my wife. Small baked potato and some sweet peas finished the meal. I still have half of my half of the steak left.

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.