What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since it is just so freezing and cold, I put on a pot of chili beans in the Ninja cooker. We have not had homemade chili for a long time, and I think that it will be perfect for tonight, and leftovers tomorrow.
    It is high-carb for me, but it does have a lot of fiber, so I just have to be portion sensitive and not have too much of it.

Terry Page, Diane Lane and Tim Burr like this.
  2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Watched the game then went shopping, so going for easy.
    Got some Harry's Organic Tomato and Basil soup and made
    grilled cheese sandwiches.
    First time for the soup; very good and creamy with chucks of tomato.
    Found my go-to winter soup !

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

We had leftover Christmas dinner padded out with a potato pie I made with mushrooms fried onions and herbs added.

din.jpg

Followed by more Christmas pudding with custard...

din2.jpg

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Down to 10 degrees here yesterday morning. Planning to make chili our usual way. First we make a big pot of pinto beans. We have that with cornbread (and ham this time) for a couple of meals then we make chili using the rest of the beans, I got a mixture of ground beef and ground pork for the chili meat.
    It's warming up, only 12 this morning.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Oven baked pork chops stuffed with cornbread dressing, baked sweet potatoes, and lighted buttered and parmesan cheesed brussel sprouts.

Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

We had chicken fajitas. I found the chicken fajita packages marked on sale at Kroger, and also the fresh mushrooms and green peppers and we have a big bag of onions we got at Sam's Club the last trip; so I cooked it all up,, and shredded up some lettuce and chopped tomato for toppings, along with sour cream/chives.
    Bobby had his fajita on one of the large tortillas, and I had mine on the small low-carb one (shared with three dogs, of course), and it was a great meal and easy to make.
    I bought some of that super hot Sriracha sauce from the Asian market, and put a good squirt of that in with the chicken and peppers while it was cooking; so they were plenty spicy.

Diane Lane and Babs Hunt like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Marie Callendar's chicken pot pie and salad. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

A spicy sausage and bean casserole today, interestingly the slow cooker has been working overtime here, after a long period of rest, evidently there is a slow cooker revolution going on... [​IMG]

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38286715

There's a culinary revolution taking place and it's not in a hurry. Like many things from the 1970s, slow cookers are back in fashion with some retailers reporting sales up by a third in recent years.

Driven by the trend for slow-cooked meats such as pulled pork, and their general cost effectiveness, the kitchen gadgets are making their case for an essential piece of kit.

BBC News Online has taken a look at why people are falling in love with their slow cookers all over again - and even tried cooking a Christmas dinner in one.

"I love my slow cooker," said Verity Mann, head of testing at the Good Housekeeping Institute.

"It's a brilliant piece of kit and there's a lot of nostalgia around them, with people looking at old recipes. I think they've become more popular over recent years because they've been designed to be even more convenient."

For those not yet signed up to the slow cooker movement, they are all-in-one electric cooking pots that cook food at a slow and steady rate, using very little energy.

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I think I'm going to have a baloney burger and French fries. I haven't had one in a long time and I've been wanting one.

Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

I found one of the DiGiorno frozen pizzas left in the freezer, and we have not had pizza for several months; so that is what we had for dinner today. We always get the 3-pack at Sam's Club, and it lasts us for a while.
    The supreme has everything on it , plus I add extra peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese. When we have them, I add the little hot pepper rings or anchovies (or both); so the pizza is loaded down with everything before we bake it.
    It was actually a combination of late lunch and early dinner; but it is the main meal of the day for us, and Bobby will probably find something else to snack on later if he gets hungry again.

11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I made the chili yesterday. It was so good we'll have it again today.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I absolutely have no idea. I am going to just go look in the freezer and see what's in there and hope there is something simple and easy to fix today. I think I have some tilapia fillets that I could bake and add to the leftover veggies and potato salad in the fridge. If I do...then that is what we will have for supper. :)

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, we are definitely having baked Tilapia fillets tonight with the leftovers in the fridge! :)

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

No, we definitely did not have Tilapia fillets last night for supper. I read @Yvonne Smith's post about having a pizza for their supper...and my mouth started watering at the thought. So I called Papa John's and had them deliver our favorite pizza and that is what we had for supper. Tonight will be the Tilapia fillets which have been marinating since yesterday. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Chicken was on sale at the little store the other day, so that is what we are having for our main meal today. Since it was Christmas, we were going to go out and have coffee together, and maybe breakfast; but everything (including the Walmart) was all closed down here.
    Waffle House was open, and their parking lot was totally packed ........... I think half of Huntsville was having breakfast at that Waffle House.
    Anyway, we had a nice drive, and it is a pretty day and about 73 degrees, and then we came back home again.
    So now, I have the chicken cooking, and some mixed rice to go along with it, and I will add some green beans next. Pineapple slices for dessert, we are not usually dessert eaters; but pineapples are anti-inflammatory and healthy for dessert.

Babs Hunt likes this.