When All Of Your Wishes Are Granted- Many Of Your Dreams Will Be Destroyed

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Jenn Windey, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Remember as a child dreaming of what it would be like when you were all grown up? Sometimes my sister and I would be mad about stuff our parents would make us do and we would sit and complain. It always went to the conversation of "When I grow up I am going to _________________. " We were going to be movie stars, the Queen of England and most certainly never going to be like that to our kids. :p I cannot help but laugh at the childhood absurdity we had then. No doubt caused by to much TV.

Some things we dreamed about came true, I always loved those muscle cars of the 70's and have owned more then one. these are small materialistic dreams. My sister would draw sketch after sketch of these dresses she would have, and she has had some that really looked close. Neither of us ever had a horse, nor did any knights come a calling. We did have love, romance and many good times.

Were there things that you dreamed of in your life that you were able to actually obtain? After you received your dream how did you feel?

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

After I graduated high school, I got a steady job. Evenings I would hang out with my friends, around town. Used to see this chubby lil' blond driving around in a convertible. I badly wanted to meet her. One day I did and we dated a few times. She was everything I wanted. Always smiling, fun to be with. Then things went South in a hurry. She died about two years ago. Her school yearbook wrote that she wanted a career in the medical field. Her obit read that she made her goal. I still think about her and wonder what may have been.

Other times, I would desperately want something, like a certain shotgun, outboard motor or pistol. I would work and save and when I finally could afford the item, I wouldn't want to part with the money. I hated being broke.

When I do actually obtain some much wanted object, I'm seldom satisfied for long. It seems to me, I'm most content just having what I need.

Jenn Windey and Joe Riley like this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

My mind is swirling with memories that this thread had touched. I have so many dreams when I was young. Remember, we were apartment dwellers and although I was not deprived because my father was earning good money as a race horse trainer, I'd say that I lacked so many things. When I was in high school and my sister got married, I got a room for myself, it was a makeshift room but just fine for me. I was also able to buy my own dresser with a big mirror from my savings. And when I graduated from college, I was able to get hired by a bank.

Most of my wishes came true. Even my married life is God-given. And when I would be having problems in my job, my husband would always tell me that my position as bank vice president is not only my wish but also the wish of so many bank employees so why don't I try to enjoy it and bask in its glory? Problems at work, problems in live, they will always be there and it's just a matter of handling them that matters.

And before I forget, another of my dreams is to travel to other countries. On Thursday, we are going to Vietnam for a brief tour. Is that a good punch line? Hahahaaa.

Ike Willis likes this.