When Were You Last In A Bookstore?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by K E Gordon, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Are the cat stories sad Krissttina?

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, @Kristinia Isobe, I am gonna have to check out Cat Stories. I read all of the other books he wrote, All Creatures Great and Small and the sequels. I know I would love Cat Stories. If there are sad ones in there, I will skip over them. I have an extreme sensitivity to animals, and I have to be careful what I expose myself to, or I will really get upset. I resisted seeing the remake of King Kong for just that reason. My son said you can see it, just don't watch the last 5 minutes. I bet there are some wonderful stories in Cat Stories though!!! Thanks!

Diane Lane and Kitty Carmel like this.
  3. Daniel Milner

Daniel Milner Veteran Member
    Registered

I have the same situation:)

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

There are no bookstores close to where I live. Barnes & Noble would be my first favorite, then Waldenbooks. Back home in the Boston area, Buck a Book was always a good one for low cost books and other items. I've been to Borders, but found it a bit overwhelming. Down here, we have Half Price Books, which also has some interesting choices for lower prices. They buy books, DVDs, etc., but don't pay much. I've had better luck selling my items online than to them. I have the same issue with pet stories. I just don't want to read sad stories, nor do I want to see them harmed in movies.

5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm the same way regarding animals. I don't watch movies with animals as the main theme like Pet Detective. I always worry about how the animals were treated.

When the move Gladiator came out on DVD, I wouldn't have watched it because of the tigers, but found out they were computer generated.

6. The last times I went to 'brick-and-mortar' bookstores must have been 10+ years ago- looking for gifts for my kids.

I've found there are wider selections (not to mention lower prices) on Amazon and Thriftbooks, so they're my 'go-to' places when looking for books for myself.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I get my books from a used bookstore. I traded in some books and bought a sackful about a month ago.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Used bookstores were my favorite places to get books but that was long ago, I would be so happy coming out with a bunch of good books for hardly anything.

One of my simple pleasures, but it's gone. :(

The last time I remember being in a bookstore was when Borders went out of business. It was in Riverpark Plaza. Riverpark plaza is my favorite one anywhere, it has palm trees, water fountains, restaurants and lots of stores plus a huge movie theater. It's about 2 miles from me and I haven't gone in years...sad. Hate walking around by myself.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If we had a used bookstore convenient to me, I would continue to shop there. However, the only one that I know of is in Bangor, and it's downtown where parking is difficult and out of the way of anywhere that I go in Bangor. If I lived in Bangor, I'd probably go there but I wouldn't go the Bangor specifically to do that when I have Amazon.com and eBay available to me from home. Once in a great while, if Michelle has an appointment in Bangor, I might have her drop me off at BAM, to wait for her there, because I like going through an actual bookstore but, even then, if I find something I want, I'll probably copy down the ISBN and shop for it on Amazon.com when I get home because it's always cheaper that way. There was a time when there might be regionally published books that were only available at the bookstore but they are always available online now too.

Most book stores died out quickly in the early 2000s. When we moved to Maine, we had a bookstore in Millinocket and there was another one in East Millinocket. The one in Millinocket closed shortly after we arrived and the East Millinocket store hung in there until a few years ago. Even mall bookstores have closed.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  10. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi!The last time I have been to the bookstore is about a month ago, but due to work schedules and the prices of books, I tend to see other peple go through bookstores, and just copy the title of the book, then search it inline and download it. I still prefer leafing through the pages. Is it just me or do you, gys, also love the smell of the pages of new books and the musty smell of the pages of second hand or old books?

11. Ken Anderson

I was last in a bookstore about a week ago, but I was just killing time while my wife had a doctor's appointment. I almost bought a few books but, in the end, I didn't. That same bookstore was a lot better when it was a Borders than it is as a BAM.

12. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

There is a small, specialty book store about a mile or so from the house.
    Almost all old books, some rare books you have to ask to see.
    I love the smell of the place.
    I'm sure the people who work there know I can't afford
    most of the books there, but they are nice and easy to talk to.

13. Ken Anderson

That's the kind I like best. Unfortunately, we don't have any used book stores near us, the closest being one in Bangor, seventy miles away, but it doesn't even fit that description, and parking is horrible there.

14. Ken Anderson

I loved the used bookstores, such as one that they had in Fullerton, California. There were shelves and shelves of books, mostly in some kind of order, but customers could also dig through the boxes of books that hadn't found a place on the shelves yet. They also carried quite a lot of the review editions that were sent to reviewers prior to being put on sale. The covers generally noted that they were not for resale, but there they were. Sadly, I don't think very many people read anymore.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't been in a bookstore in years, but I'm certain the last time was to Barnes and Noble about 8 miles from here. I don't buy as many books as I used to, and it's more likely to be an e-book for my Kindle.

Krystal Shay and Yvonne Smith like this.