Where Is The Perfect Place To Live In Terms Of Weather?

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Ed Wilson, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't stand Austin. Here, we have four seasons: Hotter than Hell, Coolish with Hotter Than Hell Thrown In, Rainy and Dreary, Warm and Muggy, back to Hotter Than Hell. I've wanted to leave for about forty years, but my success in business kept me from doing that. Now, semi-retired, I'm looking at properties in Durango and Woodland Park, CO. I vacation there when I can, and always like the chilly mornings, low humidity, and clean air. Unfortunately, with global warming a hard reality, I have experienced Colorado warming up, little by little, and the summer air filled with smoke from forest fires. Yeah, nowhere is perfect, but I hope to someday spend the majority of my time in Colorado.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You might like Idaho, too, @Trevalius Guyus .
    It does not seem to have changed in weather very much. There are four beautiful seasons, if you do not mind snow.

BAAE7912-0C6D-418A-BB5F-9F9E697E51E6.jpeg

Terry Coywin and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, are we touchy or what? Why take Ken's comment so personally? It's not as though he singled you out.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Terry Coywin

Registered

Idaho is one of the few states I missed in my travels. Perhaps in the next life.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Sakkom Jelani

Sakkom Jelani Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've been a resident of Northern California since the 50s. And, before continuing, I must distinguish between what we call NoCal and SoCal. Over time some people have half-seriously called for creating two states because we perceive each other so differently--superficial (SoCal) vs Zen (NoCal). Of course, those are comical generalizations. Although, judging by voting patterns, I think SoCal has been more politically conservative than NoCal.

SoCal does seem to be where many go who have dreams of being part of the entertainment industry and all that entails. I don't believe those are the majority of residents, however. To add a little more detail: In general, SoCal residents seem invested in "see and be seen." Even though most aren't living the life of glamour, the mindset seems to rub off and, I imagine, it does have it's fun aspects! Also, I'm told traffic is horrendous no matter the time. I don't know where everyone is going days, nights, and weekends, but I guess braving the freeways must be worth it.

On the other hand, In northern California a few large companies (eBay, Google, Yahoo!, Apple, Adobe) and many small ones have set the tone for cities between Sacramento to the north and Gilroy to the south. These companies are focused on new or expanding technology, and it results in an intensity that's uncomfortable--at least in my opinion. It seems people are over-worked, overly competitive, and sleep deprived (if their driving is any indication). From the 50s to the early 90s, Silicon Valley wasn't bad. It didn't include the many cities that it does today, although it did get its name in the early 70s. HP, IBM, Fairchild, and Lockheed were the only significant players, and cities had plenty of open space, even orchards. That's the Zen part. Having a lot of land around, tends to calm you down.

By 2000, commercial and residential building had begun in earnest, and it has only increased. Every piece of land that can be built on is being built on. Basically, the area became a magnet for folks who want to build their careers, make a lot of money, and make sure their kids get into the best schools. Of course, everyone is not interested in or employed by a technology firm, but the effect of having that much intense energy around and less space in which to disperse it, takes a toll. You can still find rural areas north of Sacramento and south of Gilroy, but I'm not sure that will last. And, for the last several years, areas to the north have been devastated by fires. SoCal has its share of serious fires, too.

Yet, the older I get the less inclined I am to move to another state. And NoCal does have beautiful beaches, parks, redwoods, and foothills!

6. Terry Coywin

Registered

I live in So. Cal. for one year to attend UCLA. While I met many folks who were not star struck nor even interested in that industry initially, some did work at one area of it or another as it paid very well and they had the expertise required for their specific job. At first I found CA to be rainy and damp for about one month straight. Then it got hot and sunny and stayed that way for most of the year. Boring. I do like the Pacific ocean and spent a lot of time on the beach. One other thing I despised was the smog. Every day, it burned my eyes and played havoc with my sinuses. Couldn't wait to leave. My uncle in Palo Alto who was a professor at Stanford wanted me to transfer up there, and while the area was also lovely, no way was I going to remain in California.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Coywin

So, where did you wind up, and have you stayed there? How long?

Frank