Which Decade Do You Most Identify With?

Discussion in 'Decades' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Although born in the 50s, my decade was definitely the 90s. No life before.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Staff Member Greeter Patron Registered

I was born in the mid-40’s, and the 50’s would be the decade that I relate to the most. The music was rock and roll, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash, and many other great vocalists of that era. I remember how excited I was to go and see “Love Me Tender”, Elvis’ first movie, and they handed out autographed pictures also.
    We had all of the epic movies in the 1950’s, too, most with Charlton Heston in them somewhere, and in Technicolor and Cinamascope (all words from the 50’s).

Even though this was the Cold War with Russia, and we were told that we could be bombed at any minute, life didn’t really change much because of that, at least in my small north Idaho town. The larger cities had bomb shelters downtown, and I remember seeing some of the designated buildings in Spokane, with the little symbol that said there was a public bomb shelter under that building.
    We watched Nikita Khrushchev take off his shoe and shake it at us from the speaking podium, as he threatened to destroy America, and the next day, he went to tour Disneyland in California........ how strange is that ?

We girls had to wear dresses to school, which I hated, but it wasn’t a uniform like some of you had to wear. Skirts had to be close to knee-length, and mine were longer than that.
    Boys were allowed to wear their knives on their belt to school, but had to turn them in to the teacher during the day, and the high school boys drove the family pickup to school, and all of the hunting rifles were in the back window in the gun rack.

Gas was cheap, and cars were huge, and no one even worried about gas mileage. Families went on summer vacations together, most wives didn’t have a job, and they stayed home and cooked real meals for their household, and raised their kids to become good adults (for the most part).
    Even though I enjoy all of the new technology and advancements we have had since then, the decade of the 1950’s is the one that holds its charm for me.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

For lifestyle and music, it is the 60's.
    ( 50's for Jazz, 60's for Rock )

When it comes to movies, most of my favorites are from the 40's and 50's.
    Can not imagine being without movies from those years and only had what passes for movies nowadays to watch.

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

An overlap. Late 60's through early 70's. Lots of changes. Still not too many responsibilities. Music was free on the radio, and all the songs seemed to be at least good, and at best great.

Lulu Moppet and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh, definitely the 60's. Graduated from high school, went to college, got married and came near to giving birth in the 60's. Great music. Great happenings.

Lulu Moppet likes this.