Who And Why For Vice President?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Denise Evans, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The best choice for VP should be one to attract a voting block that the presidential candidate would not normally get, especially in tight races. For a Republican candidate, that would be a black VP candidate to attract the usually Democrat voting blacks. Tim Scott would be a good choice.

The Jewish voting block votes Democrat, but I can't think of a Jewish candidate off hand who would fill the bill, if there even are any Jewish Republicans that are politicians.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

However, if we really want to restore our nation, we need someone who can continue the work after four more years of Trump, and I doubt that Tim Scott is up to the task. He would likely be more like Mike Pence, in that he would be mostly supportive during Trump's term, but when that's over, he'd be back to being an establishment Republican who is more comfortable letting the Democrats call the shots.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law who is not only a businessman but did quite well helping to negotiate the Abraham accord.
    Jared would never be the VP but between him and the fact that the U.S. Embassy was moved to Jerusalem during Trump’s administration, I think he has that particular sect of faith headed in his direction already.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is certainly true now and has been for some years, but it wasn't always so. As you have said, the Republican politicians either A) don't stand on principles, or B) stand on principles so firmly to the exclusion of other viewpoints. The current Democrat party was created by Jimmy Carter according to Hamilton Jordan, his Chief of Staff. Jimmy wanted a group of special interests, not a coherent party, so he would give each group a little gift in order to get their support. That has morphed into the Democrat party we have today. One additional reason perhaps that Carter was one of our worst Presidents...although a completely new standard is now being set by the current occupant of the White House.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Good grief. I must admit I hadn't paid much attention to Kristi Noem, but I watched her pathetic appearance on Face the Nation and all I can say is, "Oh. My. God." If that is Trump's choice for VP I will be abstaining from voting; this nation is doomed.

6. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

I agree with you about the site. Social media is not full of airheads. There are many people looking to discuss serious issues in a reasonable rational way. This site lets us do that. So long as things are kept polite, without personal attacks, we should be able to express our views without fear of being ridiculed.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I didn’t make it through the question concerning meeting Kim Jong Un.
    All she had to say is No, the statement has been edited out but nope, she started dodging the question and I turned it off.

I normally give people a little wiggle room but she’s on the short list for VP and if chosen, that puts her in the possible position of second in line for the Presidency.
    I understand that politics is just another word for creative lying but at some point there has to be some hallmark that makes a politician seem less creative and more forward about the facts.

That said, whilst I may not like the idea if Trump chooses Noem, she’s GOT to be a heckova lot better than the do-nothing VP we’ve had to put up with for the last 3.5 years.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You know, Bobby... I am really tired of the excuses we have to make for them. And I'm not at all sure that a bald-faced liar would be better than a nitwit. How far we have fallen.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll try and see if I can find this on streaming Beth. I've always liked what she's done w/SD as governor, but I want to know all I can about her. I'm curious to know what she said or how she said it to make you this she is bad news for the US, Denise

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

I don't know I'll get to see it, but thank you for your take on her dodging a question, sounds too much like the left. Hate to have our side look like their side, although it happens, I've seen it myself :(

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You can get the drift of it here... https://www.yahoo.com/news/kristi-noem-sits-down-brutal-145807988.html Be sure to watch the embedded video clip. Also her recent promoting of the Texas cosmetic dentists (Smile Texas) is in poor taste IMO.

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

Dang, they are pushers of things like braces for all ages, (fake) white teeth. Too bad she can't support a business is truly something the people of America need. Sounds like another side of her is coming out. I just hope Trump is smart enough to avoid her.
    Thanks for the link, I'll take a look ;)

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am pretty sure that President Trump already has a VP pick in place, but he is not saying anything about who it is going to be right now. People are just guessing names and playing with the idea of who it will be, in my opinion, and I think that Trump enjoys the diversion
    I believe he has chosen someone who is competent to take over should something happen to Trump, for any reason, or at least to continue on with the MAGA plans for restoring America after Trump is no longer president.

I am still hoping for Rand Paul, of anyone I have looked at thus far. I do like Ben Carson (I think everyone likes this man) but I just do not see him as being an effective president for this country.
    I like Ramaswamy the best of any that are being touted as possibilities, thus far. Also, after reading that Ron DeSantis might have made his run just to drain opposition bankrolls to help Trump, I am liking him better now, too.

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Benny put forth some strong arguments for Rubio as the VP candidate. He explained a lot of things surrounding Trump's actions that don't make sense otherwise. Trump may be negotiating a "deal" that would benefit himself and DeSantis and line up donors on top of it all.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, here's the latest. I'm going to have to study up on this guy. From Trump's rally comments today...

One notable tidbit from the early speaker portion of the rally was North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum speaking second-to-last, telling the crowd he flew in with the former president on his plane. Burgum has gone from a favorite to get a cabinet position to a genuine contender for Trump’s VP pick, as previously reported by The Daily Beast.

“You won’t find anybody better than this gentleman… Get ready for something, just get ready,” Trump said of Burgum.