Who And Why For Vice President?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Denise Evans, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

An interesting thing that I have been reading about as a possibility for Trump to choose as a vice president, might be to choose his oldest son, Donald Trump Jr.
    I do not think that this has ever been done before, but I don’t remember reading anything that said they could not be relatives, in the requirements for VP and President, and it definitely opens up some interesting possibilities.
    I remember that they have to be residents of different states, but if Trump is using his New York address (which is where he has been lately, and where Melania is at), and Don Jr uses his Florida address, then that requirement is taken care of.

President Trump always keeps his family in the picture, but not in the headlines; however, his sons have both been on the campaign trail with him frequently, and i think that people would vote for a Trump/Trump ticket.
    Assuming that happened, and Trump was re-elected, he could serve part of his term, and if he had any health problems, he could then turn it over to his son to finish up his term.
    Since he was not elected when he assumed his dad’s term, Don Jr. could still run for 2 more terms as president, like Johnson did after the Kennedy assassination. Johnson was eligible to run again, but decided not to do that.
    I admit this is probably not likely, but I think it is a possibility.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024 at 5:07 PM
    Jacob Petersheim and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Trump said he’d probably make an announcement on or before the debates so we’ll see.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'd like to see somebody who would be viable to run in the next cycle, i.e. not another sop to the Party machine like a Pence. I'm not sure who could be that independent of the deep state though without a lot of their own money and organization as "protection" from coercion.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have concerns over what Ramaswamy might add to the ticket as far as the election goes, but a Trump/Ramaswamy administration would be the strongest we could hope for, assuming that Ramaswamy is for real. I have no doubt that Trump is who we need for the next four years but he will likely be under siege throughout his term, and, unless he's learned something (which he may well have done), he'll let that get in his way, and he will appoint and endorse all of the wrong people. I've said it before but Trump's endorsement of a candidate makes me wonder whether that's a good choice or not because he's made horrid choices in who to endorse, whether it's because he listens to the wrong people or something else, I don't know.

However, four years of Trump is likely to put us on a much better footing than we are right now, but we have to look beyond that, and that's where the VP comes in. VP selections based on electibility in November are unlikely to continue moving the country in the right direction because, while they may be spouting some of the right words now, they are mostly entrenched in establishment Republican traditions, which generally mean letting the Democrats call the shots. Think of it; some of our most liberal Supreme Court justices have been appointed by Republican presidents.

If Vivek can be taken at face value, I think he has what it will take to keep us moving in the right direction for another eight years after four years of Trump, and that should give us an even better Supreme Court. I can't think of anyone more likely to buck the GOP establishment than Vivek Ramaswamy. While there are downsides to electing someone who hasn't lived a lifetime entrenched in party politics., I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

I liked Kristi Noem, but she should have kept a closer eye on the ghostwriter for her book. Why the hell would someone sabotage their own political future for a shock line in a book that is going to be read only by people who are looking the cherrypick the negatives?

I loved Ron Paul and I like a lot of what Rand Paul has to say, as I do Ted Cruz, but I can't help but feel like they are both Republican poltiicians playing for the network soundbites. Rand Paul endorsed Mitt Romney for president, and Ted Cruz's wife literally wrote part of the book for UN Agenda 21. I like what they say but I don't know where they'll be when push comes to shove. Others who are most often advanced as VP picks are establishment politicians who are saying the right things as long as they are auditioning for the VP spot, but so did Mike Pence.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 5:24 PM
    Yvonne Smith likes this.