Whole Milk Or Skim?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I looked it up online, and it looks like Cowshead has several varieties of milk, and it should say on the carton if it is either low-fat or nonfat,and calcium enriched, @Corie Henson.
    All of the milk sold here is processed, which means it has been pasteurized and homogenized, at the very least.
    Some of it has added calcium and vitamin D. If it is low-fat or non-fat, then most or all of the cream has been removed. I think that anything over 3% milkfat is allowed to be called whole milk, although "real" milk from a cow has a lot more cream than 3%.
    Since the one that you are buying just says "pure milk", then it is probably considered whole milk, and would say so if it was not.
    If your milk is shipped in all the way from Australia, then is most likely pasteurized, and if there is no cream separating on the top of it, then it is also homogenized.

Corie Henson likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not really sure if that carton of Cowhead came all the way from Australia but that's what the poster in the supermarket said. I think Cowhead is the most popular fresh milk here because it occupies a big rack in any supermarket that I go to. So maybe you think that is whole milk? For me, there's not much difference and we are only after the taste. There is a fresh milk with a somewhat undesirable taste, bland and the kids wouldn't touch it without mixing with the choco powder.

I am attaching the photo of our milk... cowhead.jpg

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Yes, it looks like it comes from Australia, since it says "product of Australia" on the carton. It also says UHT processed, which means "ultra high temperature" processing to kill any germs that might be in the milk.
    I am assuming that you do not see cream forming on the top of the milk; so that would also mean that it is homogenized, which is a procedure that blends the milk and cream together so that it does not separate as it naturally will when it comes fresh from a cow.

Natural raw cows milk still has the living enzymes in it, so people are usually not allergic to that like they can be to processed milk, but it is pretty much impossible to get fresh milk unless you have your own cow or milk goat, and most kids (and probably adults, too ?) will not even drink fresh milk that does not come out of a carton.
    Most of the time people buy milk by the gallon here, although it is still sold in smaller containers. A gallon costs between $2.50 and $5; depending on the brand and which store you shop at.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I noticed in the store today that whole milk takes up a very small portion of the milk cooler. There are several brands and varieties of skimmed milk, fat free milk, 1% milk, 2% milk, and the like; and then there are the milk substitutes, like Smart Milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc. But there were only about two options in whole milk, and none in the size that I was looking for. Personally, I don't know that adult human beings are supposed to be drinking milk from another species as it is, since something seems wrong about that, but if we're going to drink milk, why not whole milk?

5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

They say whole milk is better for you than skim milkā€¦.more fattening but more nutrition. 2% is best. I agree that it's weird that we drink milk from another species. I never liked milk so Almond milk is my friend.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

How Do You Milk An Almond?

7. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

:D:D:D

8. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

We have switched to almond Milk and 1% Milk to avoid lactose issues.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Whole milk is only 3%, so you're not solving much by paying a higher price for diluted milk. The 1% is barely even white, and it tastes like water.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Whole milk for sure. With either Ovaltine or chocolate syrup in it.
    I don't mind paying extra for organic milk, but it's hard to find around here.

11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I always used whole milk labelled as 4% here in the UK, I avoid any low fat, fat reduced products as they are processed and unbalanced as a food, plus in the case of cheese usually taste awful. I haven't drank actual milk for decades, but recently started using it for making Kefir, which is a whole different product than the milk that created it.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  12. Cheryl Torrie

Cheryl Torrie Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't drink milk, just use it in cooking and baking or on the rare occasion that I get a craving for cereal, so I always buy whole milk. I've never understood the reduction of fat content process. How could saving 1% fat content make any difference in your diet? I guess you would have to be drinking a lot of milk to notice the increase in calories. I have never drank goat milk or fresh from the cow milk. Mostly because I was raised in a suburb, not the country. I guess it all comes down to what you know, what you experienced as a child and how much you are willing to buy into. I really don't think I could drink almond milk. I'd rather take a multi vitamin and use real milk and milk products. :)

Terry Page and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

One serving of whole milk is equal to 1 cup and contains 146 calories with 71 calories from fat. A 1 cup serving of 2 percent milk contains 122 calories with 43 calories from fat. The same serving of 1 percent milk contains 102 calories with 21 calories from fat. Each serving of skim milk contains 86 calories with 4 of those calories from fat.

Minerals
    Based on a 2,000-calorie-per-day diet, each serving of whole milk and 2 percent milk contains 28 percent daily value of calcium. Each serving of 1 percent milk contains 20 percent daily value of calcium. Skim milk contains 50 percent daily value of calcium. Whole milk contains 349 mg of potassium, while 2 percent and 1 percent milk contain 366 mg of potassium per serving. Skim milk has 410 mg of potassium.

Ruby Begonia and Joe Riley like this.
  15. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered