Why Are You Keeping All Of Those Keys?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Maggie Rose, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Maggie Rose

Maggie Rose Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Recently, I've been looking for a specific key. Let's just say I've torn apart my entire house....a few times.
    Total, I would have to guess I found about 30-35 miscellaneous keys in recent weeks. All shapes, sizes and colors. Oh my! Yesterday, I decided to start checking them to everything around my home that locks. I thought maybe I would find my hidden specific key eventually. Maybe I would find some extra door keys for the house, who knows.

Guess what? I found nothing. Out of all of those stupid keys tucked away in one drawer/cabinet or another. Nothing fits nothing! I threw away ALL of those keys and it's still driving me crazy that I cannot find the 1 single key that I've been needing.

Do you have miscellaneous keys here, there, and everywhere around your house and for god sake WHY? How many keys would you find if you were consciously looking? If they aren't your daily house/car keys then what the hell do they fit anyway? How much longer are you going to keep them?

2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I have padlocks with no keys and keys with no padlocks. One of these days I'm going to work up the gumption to say the hell with it and throw it all away. But not today......not today.

3. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

I recently found a few and finally tossed them. Had no recollection for what they went to.

Maggie Rose likes this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

When I bought this house, I had a locksmith change all the door locks to unlock with one key. The previous owner used several.

Maggie Rose and Von Jones like this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have always felt that people that carry lots of keys on their person do so because it makes them feel important

Maggie Rose likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have some but, just as sure as I throw them away, I'll need them the next day. In the meantime, they don't take up much room and they don't eat much. :D

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Lolol my hubby still has a wad of keys from work and long ago tool boxes he has not owned in forever. Why..beats me.

John Brunner and Maggie Rose like this.
  8. Maggie Rose

Registered

I think we just somehow collected extra's over the years. This car, that car, the truck & miscellaneous locks, I don't know. Then I had a bunch that I think came from my momma's home when I was handling her estate a couple of years back. I had several of whatever keys! @Lon Tanner They're all in the trash now, but still, I didn't find the one I've been looking for weeks. Ridiculous!

9. Maggie Rose

Registered

I just got the purging thing going on right now. I got seriously tired of going through them over and over looking for my 1 key I can't find. It was just one more pile of things that needed to be purged. @Shirley Martin

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I can not recall any keys that I haven't found but I did find about 24 keys on a chain and a padlock with a key to it when we moved into this house. I held on to them thinking the previous owner or family member would contact me but nope.

Second thing I did was searched all around seeing if any fit the door locks with the exception of the skeleton keys none of them did.

keys 010.jpg

keys #2 002.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Yvonne Smith and Maggie Rose like this.
  11. Maggie Rose

Registered

24! and, I thought I was the only one...ha ha. So, you're still keep gonna keep em awhile aren't you? Why do we do that? I meant to go through and dispose of mine a zillion times. I've always liked the skeleton keys. They just look cool. @Von Jones

Von Jones likes this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It has been 20 years :confused:. They have been out of sight so I don't think much about them until 'lost keys' come up in a conversation. They are very old keys. I thought about putting them out for sell at the flea market several years ago to catch the interest of a key collector; then I thought about making shadow boxes with pictures of us painting, etc. throughout the house. That still sounds like a fun thing to do.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Ed Wilson and Maggie Rose like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Exactly.

My timing is always perfect...it's just backwards.

Ed Wilson and Maggie Rose like this.
  14. Maggie Rose

Registered

You're a DIYer / crafter, of course, your mind will let you think of things to do with, I get it!

giggles

I almost took pics of all the keys before I threw them out. I'm a graphic designer and I like to draw & oil paint. I kept thinking I should take pics. Then one day I'll design a key themed collection of graphics, blah, blah, blah. Whether if's for graphic design, art work or just another DIY crafting project, it seems if you have some kind of creativity in your blood, you look at things very differently. Almost like, I can think of a dozen different ways to put that to use or create something new with it. It's crazy. I have to watch myself because I can't have everything I could put to use. It's borderline, do you wanna be a hoarder. My answer is NO. It's a fine line collecting for projects and being able to manage, organize and use everything collected....and so...

I threw my damn keys away and I did not take pics! @Von Jones

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Maybe they're the functional equivalent of pictures of people who are no longer around.

Maggie Rose likes this.