Why Believe In Evolution?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joseph Carl, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We're all believers, Sunny.

2. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I wish to commend the few individuals who read, understood, and appreciated my initial post enough to give it a like. Without even judging their religious beliefs, it's reassuring to find some people rational enough to assess scientific evidence in an intellectually honest manner.

Many of the responses to this thread however, have demonstrated a complete lack of interest in scientific evidence relating to evolution or creationism. They have totally ignored the 10 fallacies I initially outlined that serve as the primary basis for evolutionary beliefs, completely dismissed the 3 scientific laws I later noted that strongly support creationism, and proceeded to hold onto their naturalistic beliefs. Yet, while no counter points to the weak evolutionary evidence have been presented, some here incredulously justify their beliefs on supposed scientific evidence. How can this be, when the evidence for evolution is so flawed - and specifically addressed here for one to read? Why do so many people choose to believe a naturalistic world view that conflicts with many current, known scientific principles and evidence over a creationist world view that's much more consistent with current, known scientific principles and evidence?

The answer is obvious, as I discussed in the first post. It's not a matter of the amount and type of evidence. It's a matter of one's heart, which interprets the evidence. Atheists are not going to accept any scientific evidence that undermines naturalistic processes or supports a supernatural creator. They would rather defer to unknown forms of life, undiscovered chemical processes, or improbable exceptions from our current laws of science governing the known universe. Belief in anything, no matter how absurdly impossible, has become the agenda for those determined to deny any supernatural creator.

Now while I don't willingly accept the Atheists' unyielding objection to God, I can understand the Atheists' rejection of creationism in order to maintain that world view. As I said before, at least its a consistent and logical connection - unlike the many professing Christians who accept evolution, despite its opposition to the Bible. The thing is, for either party to justify their evolutionary position based upon a general blanket claim of scientific evidence is to deny the reality of the actual evidence we've acquired over the past 50 years - particularly in bio-chemistry (like DNA information) and physics (like cosmological fine tuning of the universe).

For the masses of people in this world that simply believe what they're taught, specifically the naturalistic world view based upon evolution, I expect that evolution does not seem like a "religion." However, for the fervent Atheists, particularly the leading ones writing and leading the cause, it is definitely a religion. Consider these two definitions of religion which Ken touched on:

- a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe (dictionary.com)

- a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith (Merrian-Webster)
    To anyone seriously considering the matter, nothing could be more religious than the foundations and beliefs between a naturalistic world view versus a Christian world view. The first belief holds that the universe and life happened by accidental, chance processes, that humans are no more than animals, and that life has no purpose or meaning. The second belief holds that God created the universe and all life for a purpose, that our lives have meaning, and that there's an afterlife for our souls that extends immeasurably beyond the temporary circumstances lived here on earth.

The fact is that the vast majority of people on both sides of the debate base their position on blind faith. Really, there's a very limited percentage of the population actually studying the scientific evidence of creationism versus evolution. Everyone it seems gets a taste of evolution in school, public displays, museums, and the media, but few bother to question the source or material. Thus, naturalism, materialism, and evolution has become a religion. It's a world view that many hold to determine their purpose, meaning, and values in life.

I've found that Atheists are generally so offended by religion that they don't want Atheism to be called a religion. But it is, when you consider its belief system - our origin, purpose, and destiny in life. Evolution is a core foundational part of that.

For those of you interested, following is an excellent article further detailing evolution as a religion. In my view, it's not necessarily important to affirm that evolution as a world view is a religion, though I think it is, but to recognize that the world view of evolution equates with Atheism. If you're an Atheist, that's OK. But if you're a Christian, agnostic, or undecided on the issue, I'd encourage you to seek the truth with some enlightening books, articles, or videos (that I could recommend). The answer will not only address life's biggest questions, but ultimately steer one's heart and soul in a proper direction.

https://www.icr.org/article/455/