Why English Is So Hard

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL....well Come to England, the home of the English Language and you'll find exactly the same thing..from county to county the dialect is different....and mostly southerners have difficulty understanding the broad dialects of those who live in the Midlands, and the North of the country...

Bobby Cole and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  2. Hugh Dowling

Hugh Dowling Veteran Member
    Registered

...It also may not piddle, or widdle....!!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

teach....taught
    speak.....spaught?

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL :p

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Hugh Dowling

Hugh Dowling Veteran Member
    Registered

One can only imagine the effect it`s having on the traditional dialect of the South West, what with all those countless people who have re-located there from the North...the Midlands,..AND the east coast over the past thirty years, or so. ALL bringing their dialects with them...!! In fact, i suspect that there`s an entirely NEW dialect already in the process of evolution...combining a unique combination of all of them...!! It`ll be a bit hard to understand at first, though...!!

Bobby Cole and Sheldon Scott like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I posted it somewhere before but I'll bring it back here.
    About 20 years ago, a black English professor at UCLA said that because of the past slave trade in the U.S. and the African dialects that were brought with the slaves there is a new standard when conjugating the verb for of "I am".
    She further explained (I cannot remember her name) that it is now proper English to conjugate that verb form as:
    I be, you be, he she and it be's.

With that teaching it is no wonder that some folks find plain old 'Merican or English so dern hard.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Along the same line:
    1) The bandage was *wound* around the *wound*.
    2) The farm was used to *produce produce*.
    3) The dump was so full that it had to *refuse* more *refuse*.
    4) We must *polish* the *Polish* furniture.
    5) He could *lead*if he would get the *lead* out.
    6) The soldier decided to *desert* his dessert in the *desert*.
    7) Since there is no time like the *present*, he thought it was time to *present* the *present*.
    8) A *bass* was painted on the head of the *bass* drum.
    9) When shot at, the *dove dove *into the bushes.
    10) I did not *object* to the *object*.
    11) The insurance was *invalid* for the *invalid*.
    12) There was a *row* among the oarsmen about how to *row*.
    13) They were too *close* to the door to *close* it.
    14) The buck *does* funny things when the *does* are present.
    15) A seamstress and a *sewer* fell down into a *sewer* line.
    16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his *sow* to *sow*.
    17) The *wind* was too strong to *wind* the sail.
    18) Upon seeing the *tear* in the painting I shed a *tear*.
    19) I had to *subject* the *subject* to a series of tests.
    20) How can I *intimate* this to my most *intimate* friend?
    There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in a pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. Why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2meese? One index, 2 indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it? If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on. English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

I just don't know how foreigners learn the language, I admire them as some are very fluent
    Mind you, the French, not much better - couldn't get to grips with that at all, back to front it is :confused:

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

In my experience, Spanish is the easiest, although I think Italian is probably similar. Learning to read Japanese is the most difficult since they use multiple alphabets in the same article.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Japanese is fascinating
    Italian - my favourite language to listen to (only know a few words)

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I have only been exposed to Italian in small amounts, but I can understand much of it (especially reading) from the Spanish. As I said above, I have lost much of my language ability since I don't use it much and my hearing loss has made it difficult. I discovered an Italian restaurant in a place in Florida named Dunedin quite a number of years ago, and they had an Italian language program taught every Wednesday evening for a number of weeks after which they took the students on a food tour of Italy. It sounded like a wonderful idea for folks with time and money. I wasn't there long enough to take advantage of it though.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Registered

That's such a shame
    I would love to speak the language and that was an offer not to be refused :)

13. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Try learning Welsh...was taught it as a Child but can only remember the swear words.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the hardest part of learning any language is the pronunciation. Nowadays learning a different language has changed to listening (Rosetta Stone) rather than reading.

15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

This morning I was listening about a recent one of a kind study concerning children and learning to read. Ostensibly, children at the ages of 3 are able to pick out letter placement within a word when they are subjected to someone reading to them and pointing out the words at the same time. Afterward, as they are being taught to read and write, they automatically spell much better because the letter placement is already ingrained.

The old phonetic method which most of us learned by around the age of 5 or so is one of the reasons (according to the study) why a major portion of the English speaking world have trouble spelling.