Why English Is So Hard

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have only been exposed to Italian in small amounts, but I can understand much of it (especially reading) from the Spanish. As I said above, I have lost much of my language ability since I don't use it much and my hearing loss has made it difficult. I discovered an Italian restaurant in a place in Florida named Dunedin quite a number of years ago, and they had an Italian language program taught every Wednesday evening for a number of weeks after which they took the students on a food tour of Italy. It sounded like a wonderful idea for folks with time and money. I wasn't there long enough to take advantage of it though.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

That's such a shame
    I would love to speak the language and that was an offer not to be refused :)

3. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Active Member
    Registered

Try learning Welsh...was taught it as a Child but can only remember the swear words.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

I think the hardest part of learning any language is the pronunciation. Nowadays learning a different language has changed to listening (Rosetta Stone) rather than reading.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Registered

This morning I was listening about a recent one of a kind study concerning children and learning to read. Ostensibly, children at the ages of 3 are able to pick out letter placement within a word when they are subjected to someone reading to them and pointing out the words at the same time. Afterward, as they are being taught to read and write, they automatically spell much better because the letter placement is already ingrained.

The old phonetic method which most of us learned by around the age of 5 or so is one of the reasons (according to the study) why a major portion of the English speaking world have trouble spelling.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I've lived in both Italy and Spain..( albeit Spain for much longer)...and I find Spanish much easier ..not easy...just easier lol.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I'm an American. I expect everyone else to learn English.

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Ok...so when's that going to start? :p:D

Tom Galty and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Michael Dean

Michael Dean Member
    Registered

Don't forget that over the centuries, many other races and nationalities have "visited" the British Isles. Stayed a while and left a bit of themselves behind when they were politely asked to vacate the premises! There are a great deal of foreign implants in the English language.

Ken Anderson likes this.