Why Go to Church?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joe Riley, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

If someone isn't within the church environment, I can understand the confusion as to why we often add an additional 'title'. Someone who is denominational, does not believe the same way someone who is Catholic does. So, in discussion, they are giving a quick identifying label as to what their tenets are. In my case, I am Messianic Jewish, meaning I believe in Jesus, but also incorporate the traditions of the Old Testament.

It shouldn't suggest one group is holier than the other. At the end of things, there is only One God over All.

No one needs a church or Bible to be a good person. The definition of Christianity isn't being a 'good person'. It is in believing Jesus is Lord. Someone who chooses NOT to believe that, can be as good a moral person as anyone filling up a church pew. Lots of people in those pews aren't even sincere. This is why @Al Amoling was making reference to people who call themselves Christians, but don't even bother to read or DO what the Bible says.

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

That's certainly illuminating, Bess!

Howl

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have no idea if they are growing or declining. All I know about church is the western idea of a church service doesn't resemble anything I ever read in the bible. I never needed a fancy dressed preacher telling me what the bible says and then expecting a donation or a percentage of my hard earned wages. Best successful preacher ever was Brother Al on XERF 1570 AM 250,000 watt transmitter. Every sermon was about the devil in the bottle. He died an alcoholic. He had first hand experience with the bottled devil. He got rich selling prayer cloths mainly to old ladies on social security. My favorite was Wolfman Jack that came on after brother Al. His wolf howls scared the devil out of me. That was 1959.

Christ answered the Pharisees with two simple concepts, the second was to love others humans as you love yourself. The problem is so many don't love themselves so hate will always exist. My opinion is so many self labeled Christians including preachers, don't love themselves and don't want to change. I don't judge, but do ask this question to every religious salesman or woman that knocks on my door. They always try to change the conversation to their studied pitch. I close my door.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know about the fancy dressing but the early apostles did indeed tell people what was true, disputing that which was false, and they were supported by the Church. There is, however, evidence that they weren't wholly supported by the Church. Even after being called as an apostle, Paul is still referred to as a tentmaker and, when Christ rises from the dead, he finds Peter, James, and John fishing, which was their occupation.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

But the church was the individual members homes and food. Not a building or organization or bank account. They didn't have bibles that everyone could own and read. It required teachers. Today we have preachers, preaching what we can read for ourselves. That differs from teachers.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Please do remember that the early church (Christ’s followers) were a persecuted people. They did much the same as Christians presently do in foreign countries where Christianity isn’t allowed which is to have House churches.
    When Jesus walked this earth the Roman Empire allowed the children of Israel to build their synagogues and worship as they pleased which is where Jesus himself went to worship and later, teach.
    Even the Jews hated and persecuted the followers of Christ which is where Saul of Tarsus came into the picture.

Later, after Saul’s (Paul’s) episode on the road to Damascus, Paul preached and also taught and assigned teachers and preachers their positions.
    1 Cor. 1:21 has the apostle Paul saying: It’s by the foolishness of proclamation, the foolishness of preaching, that God has chosen to save those who believe.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How much of that was due to the fact that the Church was under persecution? It seems to me that, as soon as it was safe to do so, the Church built buildings. Don't misunderstand. In the only denomination that I felt truly a part of, pastors did not earn their living as preachers but were paid a stipend when their duties to the church prevented them from what would otherwise be paid work. My pastor was a plumber, for example, and the church building was modest. I do look negatively at the riches that are invested in ornate buildings and other seemingly unnecessary expenditures, but I don't know that austerity is required.

"So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." -- Ephesians 4:11-13

The Church has need of both pastors and preachers. In some cases, these attributes can be found in the same person, but most people are stronger in one than the other.

In a healthy congregation, the work of the Church is not solely left to the pastor.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

One thing not discussed concerned me and that was the Biden/Harris attitudes towards Christians. Biden is nominally Catholic but disparages believers. Harris was raised among Hinduism and is now something called Black Baptist ( black supremacist? ). My concern isn't that a new administration will be anti-religious. They've shown themselves sympathetic to any religion except Christianity. I observe all this as an agnostic, btw.

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  9. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Where do you get "black supremacist?"
    Here is a link to what the "black Baptists" believe in. Don't see anything that would point toward supremacy. Do you have links to prove your assertion?https://as205.omeka.net/exhibits/sh...a/introduction/gender-roles-in-the-black-bapt
    I think that you are confusing evangelicals with Christians.
    How does Biden and Harris disparage believers? Not wearing your beliefs on your forehead is not disparaging anyone.
    Also you can't call "Christianity" a religion. It is a belief system with thousands of variants. Any religion that claims Jesus Christ as their leader is nominally "Christian". This runs the gamut from David Koresh to Billy Graham, to the wealth preachers the snake handlers to the Westboro Baptist Church.

Now Dwight, I have no "gd" problem with you. You just posted something that I find incredulous and I am trying to determine the root of your statement. This is a discussion board! .

10. Dwight Ward

Registered

I arrived at my position on abortion from secular grounds. I could simply never see a point, from first cell division to birth, when a 'mass of cells' became a person - brainwaves, heartbeat, viability, none of it is relevant. It's a ludicrous idea from even the most materialistic point of view. Sadly, some women see abortion as another method of birth control and I wish they wouldn't. My views happen to align with Christian belief in this area, though I remain an agnostic.

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

Bobby, when I was in the military and stationed in Alabama, we would go to the Black Baptist church after Mass. We were told that all were welcome and to join in the praising of the Lord. Well, let me tell you, I had never heard the Lord praised so energetically and sincerely in my entire life. The singing and pure joy was an experience I shall always cherish. Now, I don't know if Harris' church does the same thing in San Francisco, but it was a change.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Dwight Ward

Registered

Terry, I'm thinking I was premature to label Black Baptists as possible supremacists. I'm often wrong. My ex-wife could have told you that, and told you that, and told you that.....

Terry Coywin likes this.
  13. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, Dwight, I only know what a group of Yankees who never saw anyone praise the Lord like these folks did, witnessed. Actually, it was serious business to them, but we found it fun. It is a community thing and they even invited us to have some food but not at the table with them. Nice gesture though.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well, just as there are white majority churches that are uneasy about black people attending services, there are some black churches who are hesitant about welcoming white people.
    We have a church here that advertises that it is strictly an African American church and so far as I know, no one thinks anything about it.

And yes, @Terry Coywin makes a valid point in that the black churches I have attended and spoken at are types of churches whereby one goes and doesn’t plan on getting home before dark. -

That said, Kamala Harris’s actions and words haven’t led me to believe that she goes to such a “spirited” church.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  15. Dwight Ward

Registered

... not at the table with them. Why so? Were they so insular that 'outsiders' couldn't be allowed to contaminate the insiders? Pardon my paranoia.