Why Is It...?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

who, who, who said I was happy ;) Me and the Dali Lama?? You think maybe we were separated at birth? :p

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

To piss you off. You should have said something to her, after she want to all that effort.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

I think this one is all about people becoming more and more self-centered. The other thing is unforgiveness and where I get that is if a person is treated badly, long enough, they may think some sort of payback is due them. I do think for myself it's better for me to look for the good in people. Some you would have to dig deep, but I like to think most people have that good in them.

I'm in complaint mode quite often around here, or I feel like complaining. All I get out of it is a freakin headache though so I want try to learn how to live with it. That is, if I can't afford to go live in the mountains but then a Grizzly might eat me :eek: smelly bear, nice smelly bear, look hardly any meat on me at all o_O

4. John Brunner

I will pet her and I will love her and I will call her 'Denise'
    [​IMG]

5. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I always try to remember that I don't have to outrun the bear.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Denise, as for myself, unlike my wife many times, I think more "reality" concerning people, not what I wished they'd be like. Many people do have "good" in them, but definitely not everyone. When we see an apartment neighbor completely ignoring any warning e-mail from an apartment manager or thinking "for as much as I pay for this apartment, I will do whatever I want to" attitude, doesn't cut it with me. One apartment manager told me "most new residents don't even look at the Rental/Leasing Agreement and basically do what they want to". I truly believe that. Many young folks on freeways think the same way, as in "get out of my way, old man" as they speed recklessly by me.

Of course, me being former military, I found out very, very fast that any military service doesn't take "I'm sorry" or any other bad behavior very well, if at all. After all of these years, I still have at least some military/Navy in me, meaning the discipline that I encountered.

7. Denise Evans

Registered

If I had big bazoombas I sure wouldn't be showing them to any bears. I've never understood the pushup thing, to me that's just false advertising;)

8. John Brunner

I don't think that Mister Ranger Sir is gonna like your comment, Denise.

9. Denise Evans

Registered

It is the shame of mankind the way humans behave at times, maybe all the time, but I think I mentioned before, I can make myself sick thinking about the "wrongs" in this world. I don't mind talking about them with others like yourself that feel the same way I do. As I get older, I really am starting to feel sort of invisible, or like I don't count. I doubt there's an elderly person that doesn't feel this way at some time. Not everyone is in the same frame of mind, or mood, at the same time.

10. Denise Evans

Registered

Maybe not but my guess he doesn't mind big bazoombas!

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

I not only wonder about this for ourselves, but I wonder about it for the prior and subsequent generations. Imagine being our parents' and grandparents' generation and being overwhelmed by unprecedented hoards of ankle biters. And the current generations are overwhelmed by unprecedented hoards of geezers. The worse part is that the current generations feel burdened by the old farts who outnumber them...this is a global issue in every 1st World nation.

Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

I never thought much about this before, but one thing is past generations were raised in a different world you might say. I think my group was literally the last that grew up play outside, no phone, no laptops, etc. I remember when I first heard of a child divorcing his parents and I have to admit I thought it was kind of cool but I was much younger then and didn't think so much about a young child having that sort of power.

Anyway, kids, at least the kind of kid I was, want to be free of parental guidance. We thought we were grown up way before we were. After I got out in the world making my own living, I slowly but surely began to understand my grandparents, and parent much better. Now I really understand what it was like for them to get old, and still feel so young inside :( Any wisdom we do gain could have served us better when we were young, at least for me anyway I should say.

I can tell you I would have spent wayyyyy more time with my gramma and gramps, I was about 7th grade, maybe, when they died, 1 year apart. And I was so busy discovering boys, I had no time for them :( I wish I had a do-over many times but know that's no way possible.

13. John Brunner

Having regrets is a sign of growth. We are meant to apply those lessons in our lives today and tomorrow.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are no answers for why people do what they do or how we feel at times.
    We’re not the 1st or 2nd or even the 10th generation who ask the same questions for indeed, the same problems and variations of those problems have plagued mankind from the beginning.

In other words, we’re not special.

The book of Ecclesiastes tells us that there is “nothing new under the sun” so how people are now is the same as they were a few thousand years ago.
    My goodness, one of the reasons the 10 Commandments came into existence is because people lied, cheated, committed thievery, did dishonor to themselves and their parents, messed around with the neighbor’s wife, etc. so again, we’re nothing really special.

Do I wish it would change? Sure.
    Can it? It can.
    Will it? It will.
    When? Your guess is as good as mine for even the angels know not the day nor the time.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered