Wife Having A Terrible Time!

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

At this point in time, no, I wouldn’t. Firstly, I don't need the money. Then considering I’m at an age I would rather do things my way, no, I would not go out of my way to accommodate.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We could definitely use the money, but, with some Senior folks, there are stipulations to consider: type of work, working hours, working days, distance and weather. When she left her last job, she gave up some $70k year wage. However, she had been told that there was a high possibility that the company was going to relocate to Louisiana, which we didn't want to go at all. And, she was also told that, if the company stayed, she would be laid-off due to reorganization. So, we both figured that, in August of last year, it was a good time to quit and move...….which is what happened.

Her last two jobs were only 7 miles from our apartment front door. My last job was 28 miles each way and I drove that here in Colorado winters. I done that job for 4 1/2 years, but that was my last job. Left in Oct 2007. I could drive that far back then, when I was 58, but at 70 now...….absolutely no way.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

In all my working years, the employer got to set the "stipulations." I could either take it or leave it. I'm glad I don't have to work at this stage of life, but if I needed money I'd still be willing to make concessions, not excuses.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, but, Beth, will you and I ever get along??:D

Stipulations can also be set by the applicant, as well. And, like you stated, "take it or leave it" and I've done both. As for myself, I plainly won't let the employer have all of the power!

With my wife's pervious experience and major college degree (Bachelors), plus two AA Degrees, she can be choosy, but not as much as years ago. In her career of Finance and Accounting, she has always been a "desk jockey" and definitely knows her way around Finance and Accounting software.

There isn't a single excuse for not finding work, we just don't live in Denver where all of the major jobs are.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

And may I say, "LOL."

Mary Robi likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

At what age are we unemployable? There comes an age when regardless of degrees earned, regardless
    of experience acquired, regardless of knowledge a person processes, we become unemployable. It is more
    of an unwritten law, never stated or acknowledged, but a fact of life. Some of us are no longer employable.
    There are multitudes of younger, 20, 30, 40 year olds, who can do it and maybe do it better. And, the employer
    hold all the cards, all the cards that count or matter.

7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

This is absolutely correct and I don't even consider it 'prejudice'. It makes absolute business sense. When my husband first died, I really thought I should go back to work for awhile. I was only 59. I really couldn't get a job regardless of qualifications. They were even upfront and said I didn't fit their '10 year employee model'. It was upsetting at the time, but I DID understand why they had the policy. I ended up fine financially, but if I did have to work, I would just take whatever was available. Any money is always better than not enough. :D

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Indeed.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Here is what happened to me, back in 1990. I was working for an engineering company, on my 90-day probation period, and got into a little hassle with my manager. He said to me, "remember, you are still on your 90-day probation period" and I said back, "yes I know, but so are you and this company. I can quit any time for any reason, just like you can let me go as well." He was shocked that I said that, but nothing happened and I continued working there.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I understand your point, but. There are multitudes of Seniors that will disagree with the "maybe do it better". There are Seniors, like my wife, who have kept up with todays technology...…...she sure has. She has only been out of work for about 5 months, not 5 or 10 years.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not as far as she is concerned! Just like me, physically speaking, there are certain jobs she can't, and won't, take. There are those Seniors that wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Walmart vest and that includes both of us.

12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

At one point in my not too distant past the only way I could feed us was to work cleaning toilets. At that point I took what was available.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think the key point is in getting a job rather than keeping one. I know a lot of people who are still working as paramedics in their 60s and 70s but a 70 year-old paramedic would have trouble finding a job. While this can be tough, it makes sense.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes; we all know there is supposedly no age discrimination... but that's B.S. Companies are reluctant to invest in training and pay elevated health care rates for older employees, and who can blame them.

Bill Boggs and Sheldon Scott like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I don't understand. No savings or SS at all? We have both, and are currently living off of both of our SS. It's a lean living, but we are doing it.