Wife Having A Terrible Time!

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It's not a matter of being into manual labor Cody, it's a matter of doing what needs to be done to survive as best we can. I have degree's and have always worked as a professional, but if I needed $$$ I would never turn down a good paying manual labor job that I could handle.

2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

For your information, Cody, I am an R.N, have not only a Bachelor's degree, but a Masters as well, and as a nurse I can attest to the fact that degrees mean nothing when it comes to physical labor. If required, we roll up our sleeves haul patients, equipment, and whatnot around. We rearrange beds, furnishings and anything else that is required of us. We run our legs off to various stations where needed in order to save a life and we do it without whining or say manual labor is not for me. I'll till a garden by hand with a pitchfork and mow a law with a push mower and shovel a walk of snow without complaining, because I have too much self respect and high esteem. I do it because I am a civilized and decent human being and when I retired I did not work the system to get more money by drawing SS and then drawing a salary someone else no doubt deserved. Those degrees are pieces of paper and nothing more when it comes to taking care of the necessities of life. I know CEO's who do not sit behind a desk all the time. They work just as everyone else does. Don't lump everyone with a degree in one basket. That simply will not fly.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

All I meant was that many people with Bachelors or Masters, get those Degrees so they don't have to do physical labor. My last Supervisor/Director had a Bachelors Degree in Business, plus three certifications in Purchasing-Inventory Management-Production Control, and physical labor wasn't not a part of his vocabulary either.

I was an EMT at one time, and I did see RN's, LVN's and LPN's that worked in a doctors office and did very little-to-no physical labor at all. It's generally hospital staff that will do physical labor, not office/clinic staff.

As for getting SS and a job salary at one time, I'm proud that she did! There are plenty of Seniors out there that not only work at Walmart, to occupy time, but also get a nice Pension and SS as well. Shoot, we had a friend, Senior, that got laid off of a job and got...…….UI, Pension (previous job) and SS all at the same time.

And, as far as a college degree goes, if I would have stayed in college and got one, I sure wouldn't had to stay working in a warehouse for years. After leaving warehouse work, I was extremely happy to go into an office wearing office clothes, not jeans and work boots anymore.

There are those that like physical labor and those that don't. There are those that would prefer to be behind a desk all day on a computer...….like wife and I. Nothing wrong with that.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

But, that's you, not us. What we call "physical labor" is using our fingers on a computer keyboard! LOL

5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh I don't know what you'd think of me then. I lost my business(bankruptcy) and since I had obtained a license to drive a school bus I took a job driving one and also took a job cleaning toilets. I'd worked with computers all my life but changed my life and bought a motel which I lost. So while I'm doing those low level jobs I'm looking for ways to get back into my old line of work. It took 5 years to get that done. Pride goeth before the fall.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Don't think anything of you. Job wise, just like ownership wise, things happen to people.

My wife simply knows what she wants and is/has been applying for jobs like that. She got her Bachelors Degree knowing that, with it, she would get a much better salary in Accounting, of which she did. A Degreed Accountant does make a better salary than a person without one. She has actually worked for a couple of Accounting Managers that required a Bachelors Degree to work in their department.

As for myself, if I was to look for a job, which would be much, much harder for me, being that I haven't worked since Oct 2007, it would have to be a desk/computer job. Neither wife nor I would want me to take anything else.

7. Lois Winters

Registered

Talk about people who think they are entitled. Cody, you and your wife take the cake. Your parents must have spoiled the living daylights out of both of you when you were kids. Certainly were never taught about work ethic for sure.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife was much more spoiled than I ever was. I was in the Navy, during Nam, and was never spoiled there.

Wife definitely has much more work ethics than I ever did.

We don't think we are "entitled", just get would is coming to us (money). Neither of us get a Pension, so getting SS and having the IRA is good for us. If she was to get another job, she'd continue getting her SS and salary from the job. I'd do the same, if I ended up getting a job...….which is highly unlikely, because I'm not looking (and don't have to).

If you chose not to get SS and a job salary at the same time, that was your choice. We simply chose differently. I guess you'd think our friend thought he was "entitled" also, since, at one time, he was getting UI, Pension and SS. But, what I know of him, he wouldn't care whatsoever what you or anyone else thought!

I don't think anyone should criticize anyone for getting money they deserve.

9. Lon Tanner

Registered

Cody---People generally persue degrees and advanced degrees to obtain good paying jobs and careers not to avoid labor. Anyone ever tell you that you are a Strange One?
    Can we get off this WIFE LOOKING FOR A JOB and change the subject?

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we could... but since that's the topic of this thread I think it's OK to continue. :D

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I'm not "strange", Lon, just know the kind of employment I spent years in and wouldn't have had to if I would've got a degree and certification. Although, I did get lucky and was able to get into the Purchasing/Inventory Management without either. Did take three online courses in each though.

Lon, there are also those that will join the Navy or Air Force instead of the Army or Marines. Boot Camp for the Navy and Air Force is much, much easier than the Army and Marine Corp is. That is just a fact.

Like I've already said about...….everyone has a choice of the kind of work they do. Some totally like labor jobs, whereas an engineer, lawyer, CFO or CEO wouldn't at all. I was the "happiest guy on earth" when I finally worked in my own office and my salary also made me that way.

12. Lon Tanner

Registered

Hmm

13. Lois Winters

Registered

Cody, Is your wife on SSI or receiving full Social Security benefits?

14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I can see that nothing has changed on this thread...so I'm just going to move over to some new news.

Beth Gallagher and Lois Winters like this.
  15. Lois Winters

Registered

Right you are Babs, it is an exercise in futility.

Mary Robi and Babs Hunt like this.