Wife Having A Terrible Time!

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Patron Registered

If you don't need a lot of money and she just wants to get away from the house for a few hours each day, tell her to get a job as a Walmart greeter. :D I have seriously thought of doing that. I enjoy talking to people and I would get to do that with everybody who came in. The work is not hard at all. Just stand there and say, "Welcome to Walmart." I could do that. :D

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Patron Registered

Holly, there was a "key" word I said...….."necessarily" need the money, but, like many, could use it. Neither of us want volunteer work...….End of that story!

BTW, just got our Star Wars tickets for December. Only $14 for the both of us. That will be our "Date Night". LOL[/QUOTE]

oooh that's good value, you'll be looking forward to that all of November... :D

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Patron Registered

Wow, no volunteer work is one of the stipulations. Just wow!
    There’s probably an old folks home right there where you live Cody. Probably filled with old west cowboys saying, “I sure do wish some old goat roper would come and see me” but nope, nary a one will come and sit at the pickle barrel and play even one game of checkers.

The west just isn’t what it used to be is it? I mean, they let old cowboys die with their boots on and don’t even put a plug of chaw in the pine box.
    Why would an old cowboy or the wife of one expect anyone to come and help cheer them up when there‘s so much more to do like dress up like a Star Wars character. Most of those old guys in the old folks home don’t even know what Star Wars is unless it was the name of the horse they had to put down, but hey, it’s there own fault for getting old and not keeping up with Hollywood.

No, it’s a sad, sad day in the old west when children cry and the dog barks at everyone because the sun has set on what used to be.
    When an cowboy is too old for a visit to the local saloon and cat house and his eyes have seen the last prairie dog, there’s no one who cares enough to visit him and volunteer a little time and hear his life’s story. Nope, he’s alone a ready to die just like the rest of the old cowboys at the home.
    No one to help him saddle his dying horse so he can ride off into the sunset nor help him find his spectacles just so he could see a smiling face of reassurance during his last rodeo on earth.
    All those old cowboys in heaven are starring down and saying, “too bad that guy with the lace up roper boots from Jacksonville couldn’t help give one of us a last smile on earth” but he was just too busy to give up a little bit of his time.

Mary Robi and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Patron Registered

@Bobby Cole , I don't mean to be unkind but I don't think all that was necessary.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Patron Registered

Perhaps not but perhaps Cody will take it in the manner that it was written which is basically simple satire. It’s not sarcastic nor is there any venom of any type intended. I dislike placing emojis everywhere but if I had, it’s a possibility that you might have taken it differently.

Either way, it is a reminder and a much kinder reminder than some more picturesque scenes that I have experienced that volunteering one’s time to do some good in this world isn’t just for someone else’s good but one’s own good as well.

6. Shirley Martin

Patron Registered

This is one thing I found particularly distressing:

"Why would an old cowboy or the wife of one expect anyone to come and help cheer them up when there‘s so much more to do like dress up like a Star Wars character. "

It sounds to me like a putdown.

7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think you would look quite sassy in the Greeter vest!!! :p
    Seriously though, for people who enjoy being around other people, I think it's a great job option. It's not hard, you can make someone smile and earn a few extra bucks!! It's a win win.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Patron Registered

Hey, looking good and making money! Can't beat that with a stick. :D

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

I know Bobby lives to mess with me and my wife...…...right, Bobby? LOL

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

True, Shirley. And, we bought our tickets today for the next, and last, Star Wars movie in December.
    Actually, Shirley, and the rest of the members, wife and I love it when I'm in full costume and kids want their picture taken with me.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Problem is, during all of the years we've been going to Walmart, we've only had one Cashier tell us that she loved working for Walmart. When I've asked other Cashiers at Walmart "so, you like working at Walmart", they don't answer, but do give that "you have to be kidding me" look. It's like asking a waitress at Denny's, "do you eat as well as work here?". One waitress said "ain't no way!".

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wife had an interview with a Temp Agency Rep this morning, but with the 4 inches of snow and 13 degrees, it's been cancelled. The company the Rep is hiring for, wants the Rep to meet with my wife before sending her to the company for an interview. Don't ask me! The Rep is driving from west of Denver to here...…..around 60 miles, one way. This was for coffee, but my wife likes having breakfast. This interview was set up last Friday. What this Rep don't know is that, when this "coffee/breakfast" interview does happen, I will be with my wife. She wants me to go with her and, of course, I said "sure". I'll just tell this Rep that I'm my wife's husband and Bodyguard (LOL).

13. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Veteran Member
    Registered

Cody.
    Wife had an interview with a Temp Agency Rep this morning, but with the 4 inches of snow and 13 degrees, it's been cancelled.

Who cancelled, the Temp Agency Rep, or your wife?

The company the Rep is hiring for, wants the Rep to meet with my wife before sending her to the company for an interview.

Yes, the company is paying the Agency to do the first interview.

This was for coffee, but my wife likes having breakfast.

What does that mean? Does it mean Wife will order breakfast for herself, or both?

Was the breakfast discussed? Does your wife expect the rep to pay for her breakfast?

If breakfast wasn't decided on, does your wife intend to conduct herself at this interview by answering questions between chewing and swallowing?

Or does your wife intend to arrive early enough to eat her breakfast in private?

I may be too old fashioned, but imo, YOU don't belong there! Can't you see how inappropriate it is for you to tag along and horn in?

Maybe your wife wants you to drive her but whatever you do, enter separately, sit far away and don't butt in.

If you do, unless this job is garbage, she can kiss it goodbye.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife called the Rep this AM on the Rep's cell and told her what the weather was like here. She done this BEFORE the meeting was suppose to happen. The Rep told her "fine, will check my schedule to reschedule you" in an e-mail. Another e-mal from this Rep asked about tomorrow AM at 8AM. My wife was somewhat shocked at the new time of 8AM, but ended up going "ok". Today's was set to be at 10AM.

My wife doesn't just sit and drink coffee, of which she likes hot chocolate instead. She likes breakfast. If she does have breakfast, she will pay for her own. Anyway, this is the first time my wife has ever had an interview in a restaurant. She sure doesn't consider this any kind of formal interview! But, then again, the Rep's office is some 60 miles south/southwest from us and we sure don't want to drive that far. So, if the Rep wants to meet her at a restaurant here, fine.

Wife and I have discussed it and I WON'T be staying at the restaurant. Will drop her off and go to Walmart, then home if they aren't done yet. But, would like to meet this Rep, if possible. I would really like to see the expression on this Rep's face when I tell her "I'm my wife's husband and bodyguard". If the Rep has any "sense of humor" she will laugh, wife and I did when I told her what I'd say.

15. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm glad to know you WON'T be at the restaurant at least.You're wise to assume the rep has no sense of humor.

Temp agencies often use casual restaurants for interviews, especially when their offices are far. I know this from experience.

Eating in front of someone, especially .while conducting business, unless prearranged is rude, unprofessional and not business-like. But, maybe I'm too old school.

I wish her luck, anyway.

Holly Saunders likes this.