Wife Having A Terrible Time!

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Happy Christmas Cody - your threads sure do get a lot of response, people just can't stay away :)
    Good wishes for the year ahead

@Cody Fousnaugh

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

A question, without starting a new thread:

At your age right now, how far (miles) would you be willing to drive for new employment...……..even in winter weather like we get/have? IOW, possibly heavy snow coming down when your suppose to leave home for work? Call in or try and drive thru it?

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

As in most of my life, I'd do whatever I had to do within my capability. I can't see how this would make any difference, since your wife's opinion is the only one that matters.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I was just wondering, Beth. A lot of decent-paying jobs aren't in our area. She has got calls, from Temp-Perm Agencies to see if she was interested in working some 30 plus miles (one way) away. During winter months, with snow coming down, I'd have to take her to work. I wouldn't feel comfortable her driving in heavy snowfall. And, along with that, our vehicle just has to many miles on it (166k) to go many miles on a daily basis. We don't have the money to buy a newer vehicle.

IOW, Beth, driving 30 plus miles to a job is NOT in her capability at all.

Funny, but where we live, seems like at least 90% of folks who are retired, and over 65, don't work. Most have a nice pension and SS. A lot of them meet at local McDonalds for 10 cent coffee a couple of times a week.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

What you are asking Cody would have been in my thoughts long before I moved to a place where there is snow like that. My answer would be I wouldn't even try to drive to work in snow weather. If I wanted to live in a place where it snows I would definitely have to have a job I could do from home.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We knew about northern Colorado winters, because they are pretty much the same as Parker, where we lived before. Babs, we just missed to much of the things in Colorado, not to move back. Unfortunately, it took us 10 1/2 years to figure that out. When we visited in August of 2018, we absolutely knew we were going to leave Florida and return to Colorado.

As far as a "job from home". We've checked into that and, unfortunately, if management of a apartment complex finds out, thru excess USPS mail or package delivery, they can be subject to eviction, if not stopped. It's actually in the Complex Rules/Policies about doing this. IOW, it's not allowed.

Anyway, from what I've researched, most people who work from home, live in a house, not in an apartment.

Not thinking of excuses, just facts that we have found out about. One of the nice things about home ownership.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I do believe that you might wish to clarify the “business” thing with the apartment manager. I am sure they’re talking about someone doing tattoos, hair styling, bulk delivery services or even having house parties to sell Tupperware.
    As long as there isn’t a whole lot of traffic going back and forth to your apartment, I’m sure that some things like data entry and proof reading that qualify as a home business would be allowed.

8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Always done what I had to do. But right now, if the job was a good one, I'd drive five miles if the roads were good.

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, here in the NY/NJ area, folks would be sunk if they could not work from home. The cities are fraught with apartment dwellers and hordes of them now work from home.

10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lois Winters

Working from home is common today due to the internet. How was it accomplished before computers? How, then, did income become available to those confined from the daily rat race?
    Frank

Lois Winters likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I wanted to raise my own kids so to add to our income I ran a home Daycare taking in newborns and preschoolers. This is a gift I am blessed with and I loved nurturing my own children and others. I have known some people who took in laundry and ironing clothes for others. Some who sewed and mended clothes, some who typed term papers, etc. for college students, others tutored students, those who created cakes for all occasions, etc., etc. Where there is a will there is a way.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

What about 20 or 30 miles, each way...….in snow and/or icy roads?

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Some "at home jobs" are folks that started their own business and, believe it or not, apartment complexes do have policies against this. Actually, I just read online that many-to-most "at home jobs" from companies, the person has to not only work during the week and on weekends. My wife definitely doesn't want weekend work and I don't blame her. When the only kind of work hours a person has had is weekday/daytime hours, with weekends off, it's extremely hard to work anything else.

I couldn't wait to quit my EMT job and go into manufacturing, where I only worked an 8 hour shift with weekends off.

Many "at home jobs" require some type of insurance to protect yourself from any problems with customers. That insurance costs.

IOW, when you own a house, or are paying a mortgage on one, YOU have pretty much full control of what you do. That is very different went renting...…...you are under a "rules of the complex" that both the apartment manager and owners set. Now there are apartment complexes where smoking is not allowed in apartments or even outside walking around. Complexes have property rules, meaning inside and outside of apartments. Our next door neighbor is allow to smoke in her car only. Not inside the apartment or even outside. Here, a person has to be inside their vehicle or off of the complex property to smoke.

14. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

20 mile one way commute is normal for my area. She probably should seriously look at some of those temp positions. We have a couple of temp agencies that handle the hiring of most people in this area. The temp agency is for getting your foot in the door. Most people are hired as regular employees after a year or so. Maybe she should hit the bricks and go door to door the old fashion way. Surely there are restaurantssmall businesses where the owners first skill is not book keeping. For several years my wife did "bookeeping" for a pizza parlor and a church. Mostly making sure documents were in order so the accountant could make sense of it.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

This is all "fine and dandy", but what you are talking about, plainly doesn't happen anymore. Job search has changed!

20 miles, each way, for a 71 year old, in possible snow/ice? Heck, we don't even see that here! From what we can tell, most folks here, our age, either work at Walmart as cashier,because they are bored at home (and we've been told this) or are fully retired with a nice pension/SS. Even those working at Walmart are getting a nice pension/SS. They don't need the money, they just want to work.

Peter, almost all, descent jobs are online now. No more going door-to-door looking for a job! Those might have been the "good old days", but not today!

Jenna Parnellson likes this.