Wild Garlic

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Val White, May 15, 2015.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We just use them as we would any other chives. Ours are still buried in snow. They usually come back ever year, either from roots or re-seeding, but not always. There may be a restaurant that could use them @Yvonne Smith. We sell lemon basil, and if the local Thai restaurant owner gets there first, we have none left for others.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I LOVE that trowel! Our health food store wanted me to sell them dandelions. That tool would be perfect, except my leg would argue with me harvesting the plants, roots and all.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We have very little wild garlic. A little grew up already south of hubby's house. I cut some with other wild foods around already so he could taste some stuff for his salad. What we DO have is garlic mustard--very prolific and invasive. It is good to eat in small quantities but we and the other animals don't like it enough to keep it in check. I like the yellow wild mustard, the buds are a bit like broccoli but I guess I ate too much as it is absent on the farm, this year.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I liked wild garlic the one time we tried it.

5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

While we were talking about chives and garlic chives, a popular thing here has become chive vinegar. Simply pack a jar as full as you can with the BLOSSOMS of chives (it may work with garlic chives as well) and allow to stand in the fridge or at room temp for several weeks. When it has achieved the color you desire, strain out the blossoms and enjoy the vinegar in salads and other things. We often use cider vinegar, but I think it has been done with wine and white vinegars. Rice vinegar may work too.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My bunching onion seeds arrived today, and I planted some in a tire garden out front in the sunshine, and will plant more out back in a container, too. Once these are started, they are supposed to keep growing like the garlic chives, and I can just cut some of the onion tops whenever I want to add green onions to a meal.
    Once they are established, they spread from the roots instead of making a bulb, like regular green onions do.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Are they perennial onions, @Yvonne Smith ? We grow some perennial onions called Welsh onions, that are as tough as chives and come back every year. They spread some, but not as bad as chives. Some folks here grow walking/Egyptian onions, but they don't survive winter for us, although they do grow in other areas of Alaska.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They are supposed to be perennial onions, according to the description on ebay, @Don Alaska .

IMG_6452.jpeg

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Interesting. I have never tried over wintering scallions, but what will survive in Alabama may not survive here. I do overwinter leeks though.

Mary Stetler likes this.