World's Largest Shovel

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The Bucyrus-Erie "Big Muskie" was commissioned in 1969, a drag-line excavator. It's bucket hold 220 cubic feet, about 20+ times as much as the largest wheeled-loaders. The entire machine weighs 13,000 TONS! If too long for ya, skip ahead to where close-ups show vehicles near it. It moves about by "walking" instead of using tracks.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yup, it is my personal opinion that it’s a tad too large for planting tomatoes.
    I may be wrong, but just the same it’s my opinion and I’m stickin’ to it.

Seriously though, I do wonder how finely tuned the hydraulics are? I know it’s meant for the big dig but I once saw a man operating a front end loader with a candle on the business end light a man’s cigarette with it.
    Then again, I experienced a crane operator with a 1/4 yard bucket who, if I had not grabbed the bucket would have knocked me off a 5th story beam we were pouring. It was a nice ride playing Tarzan but it’s not something I would like to do again.
    I guess it’s all about the operator in most cases.

By the bye @Frank Sanoica. May this day, the anniversary of your birth be a joyous one and may you never have to have a “shovel” even 1000th of that size to dig you out of the troubles that come by way of living life.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Instead of tanks, they should just roll that thing into the next war.