2022 Gardening

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Marie Mallery, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Cubanelles are considered to be grilling peppers. They can be stuffed and grilled, grilled then stuffed (better), grilled alone, etc., but use is infinite for this very sweet pepper. I grow 25+ varieties of peppers, sometimes just for the fun or the beauty of it. The mix of colors is quite striking.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I forgot stuffed,we do that too at times. But haven't in a long time too busy to light up grill and we cook enough food now to freeze for later meals. Since I have had health problems ' stoke that caused partial loss of vision, heart not too much fun going on around here,lol.
    I'm gettign dangerous to myself too. walk into doors get black eyes, vines I clear look further away so lots of scratches, just crap happems.
    But I have lots of energy and depression so It helps to keep busy. I feel good then.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

So sorry to hear of your health problems, @Marie Mallery.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I knew a guy in his 30s quit his corporate life (VP Marketing), bought a farm, and grew tons of different varieties of peppers. This was in the early 90s, when peppers became the thing of connoisseurs, and everyone seemed to know what the Scoville Scale was all about. People were talking of Ghost Peppers and Scotch Bonnets as folks converse about fine wines. He did this for well over 10 years, and was quite successful at it. He sold them raw, he dried them, he canned them, he made relishes. I forget why he gave it up. His name escapes me now, or I'd dig up his legacy website.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you Don but its ok considering all the years I abused my health I'm lucky. Smoked 60 years now.I figure why stop now could cause me another stroke.

I am starting to get shortness of breathe though, so can' go like I could. And the toons took an xray of my lungs several times a day in the heart assenbly plant ER sent me to. What a racket.,But of course cancer could pop up anytime. Worst thing you can have in a place like that is good insurance. They love to test often, I complained and the Xray tech told me they are safe. I ask her then why do you run out of the room every time you take one?

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

When my endocrinologist had me take some radioactive oral stuff after my thyroid had been removed, he told me it was perfectly safe, although I wasn't supposed to go near anyone for any length of time for three days, and he was wearing a spacesuit when he brought it in to me.

But wait! How'd we get here from gardening?

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Strip down for us hazmet for them. I'm kind of kidding but I don't think we should be exposed anymore than necessary.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thyis is the squash in bloom he transplanted along with tomatoes full of fruit. So far ok.

[​IMG]

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

This morning they are all still alive and looking ok . Mr. Green Thumb may have did it again. Time will tell but its looking good. reminds me of Mr. Green Jeans on Howdy Doody.I think it was?

Nope it was Captain Kangaroo,

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Today we harvested our first green pepper from container.
    The plant is loaded with these but they are still green, Marconi are huge long red sweet peppers.

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I got a $50 Home Depot gift card with part of my Humana Go365 rewards points, and it came today. Bobby needed to go to Home Depot anyway; so I happily took my gift card along and went shopping in the garden section while he was looking at faucets and Guy Stuff.

I ended up with $50.64 worth of plants and seed packets; so I could not have planned it closer if I had tried !
    It is still cold today, so planting anything in containers is going to have to wait until at least tomorrow, but I can start some seeds in the house in the solo cups right away.

One interesting plant that I got is called a “pineapple ground cherry”, which is apparently a type of tomatillo. I planted tomatillos last year and made salsa with them, but overall was not impressed enough to grow them again this year.
    The pineapple one is supposed to be sweeter, and can even be used in jams and desserts, so I am looking forward to seeing what the little fruits taste like.
    https://gardenerspath.com/plants/fruit/grow-ground-cherries/

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Good luck with the ground cherries, @Yvonne Smith. I don't have too much success with them here, but my son just a little warmer does fine with them. Aunt Molly is the one usually grown here, but I have the Hanover going at the moment. We'll see.... Ground cherries and garden huckleberries were popular among settlers moving west in the 19th century as a way to have sweet fruit while their trees developed over several years. Wild berries were not always plentiful, but the homesteaders could grow their own reportedly quite easily. My wife's family grew them in Iowa when she was growing up, and they were usually used in pies.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yvonne we have too much going on to try a new plant but that looks ok. May try it someday.

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I like ground cherries but ours seldom make it to be made into something else. As far as where to grow them, ours grow wild and really like our south pasture but the chipmunks get more of them than we do.

15. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

4A1CBEE8-ED88-49E4-BFFD-9B311370AA44.jpeg I’ve just pulled my capsicum plants ( sweet peppers ) out not because they were dying due to the nights getting cooler as we are in Autumn…but because we had a infestation on 1000’s of ants on our veggies I’ve never seen anything like it .

Hubs had a small steel lover in the car garage where he stores car cleaning stuff and the ants were also swarming in and over that cupboard as well, I could understand it if there was something sweet I the garden or his locker really odd to say the least.
    The back of his locker after he sprayed the ants with CRC he had in the locker

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.