A Blast In The Past - For Me

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hedi Mitchell, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Now that i think about it our outhouse was a two seats also. Um, also remember dropping the only roll of tissue down the hatch after using the #2 hole:eek:. At night my grandparents always had a bucket by the beds -for night time use..they called it a Peecan:rolleyes:

2. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

You know what never I never see or hear any more ? In my time ,many after church would head over to grandmas house for Sunday dinner. It was like a tradition or something.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Although I loved my grandma more than anything, she lived in Chicago and we lived in Pittsburgh. :(

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My maternal grandparents lived near us, as did several aunts and uncles (their children), but instead of going to their house after church, they would rotate between the different families each Sunday, so every month or so, they would be at our house.

The pastor's family too, would have dinner with one family or another each Sunday, upon invitation, so a couple Sundays a year, we would have the pastor's family for Sunday dinner.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You guys were lucky, my only relatives when I was young all lived in Chicago or Hungary. I only met my paternal grandmother on our family trip to Europe in 1969. She was 93 and we were all afraid of her, lol...she looked like a witch but she was still sound of mind and body...hope I take after her, except looking like a witch part. :)
    She died a few years later at the age of 97. My dad died at 93 and I do take after that side of the family.
    We had dinner at her house and all any of us remember is the chocolates she offered us after the meal, they tasted like cheese. :eek: Think they were about 50 years old.
    Come to think of it there was an outhouse there.:p

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I didn't know my grandparents on my father's side, although they lived across the (small) river from us, because my grandmother died before I was born and my grandfather died when I was only a couple of years old. I remember my mother's parents well, and visited with them often. They lived at the end of our road, about a mile from our house.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My paternal grandfather died the year I was born. My paternal grandmother lived with my dad's youngest brother who never married. There were 3 boys...only my dad came to the US...the other brother went missing during the war. My dad did sent money every month to his mother the whole time she was alive...think about $100 a month in the 50's which was a lot there.

Hedi Mitchell and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Not even a spare, Sears and Roebuck page hey Gloria, lol!! I heard about my parents and grandparents actually using those in the outhouses;)

Seems the country-folk of yesterday did so much of this. My family/mom, didn't take us to church at all, but I did get to go a few times with friends. I also was fortunate to be around what I called "real" families that gathered on Sundays after church for great fun and grub;) Good memories, and I am still close with "the" family that showed me a real family looks like. I know they weren't perfect, but even "all at the table" at the same time was foreign to me.

Sounds great, and I do remember gramma and grandpa having us over to their house a lot. It was the best of times;)

I was lucky to have my mom's parents until I was in about the 3rd grade when grandpa died. It was never the same after he was gone. Gramma still tried to stick close to us, and thank God for her. One of the strangest things of my childhood was when a note would come to me in school, with a message from my mom. She told me to go to gramma's after school. I caught on eventually. When she'd pick up my little brother and I, we'd go home to a new house and a new daddy. Best of times, and some of the worst (but danged if I'm gonna dwell on the worst) ;)

I wished I'd known my grandparents on my dad's side, but the whole "side" lived up in Canada, Sault St Marie.

Joe Riley and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

It was exactly the same over here Gloria - I enjoyed those Sundays when I was a part of it
    Dressing up in 'Sunday best' too :)

Denise Evans and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0629.JPG

These were all in my past!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I also made a lot of these.

IMG_0631.JPG

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Oh my Crissy Cross .. I remember all of these...and that hair dryer...woo wee ..we be trippen in high cotton having one of those

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

We had relatives that did that- We did not :p

Denise Evans likes this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

:(