A Blast In The Past - For Me

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hedi Mitchell, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Mary,it sure does.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes while drinking my morning coffe i think of the darnest things. For some reason today it w as all about what I use to do as a kid. I use to drink a splash of milk in my Kool Aid. Um, maybe because it made pretty colors I am not sure. I ate ketsup on my scrambled eggs. My dad hated that site and would put a ceeral box between us so he did not have to look. I learned later it had to do with being in war.I will let you figure that one out. Ahem, anyway, I refused to eat anything green. Always caused problems becuase of veggies that wouldnot touch me lips. Infact I refused to eat most veggies reagrdless of color.
    Weird little habits and irraitations that drove my parents at least nuts. Then, boom you grow up and would rather have a whiskey and coke than yucky Kool Aid. Perfer a dab of cheese on my scrambled eggs ever so often. And Ilearned late in life that veggies could taste good depending on how they are made. I have evolved ;). What odd ways and wishes did you have as a kid?

3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

catsup on scrambled eggs and hard boiled ones too

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We had stamps but they were for a grocery store andI was the one to put them in the booksI lived that job,each one in it lil square.Pink outhouse,I LOVE it.You should publish some of those memories.:)

Nancy Hart and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Some of these apply for me.

upload_2023-12-14_15-55-12.png

7. Julia Curtis

Registered

8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been thinking about what are the ways and wishes I may have had as a kid.
    I had a similar story as yours except I put the cereal box Between me and my father to hide his red and yellow eggs.
    I still don't do veggies With a few exceptions.
    Saturday morning when I get up I couldn't wait to get to the radio to put on the top forty countdown Of hit songs, I don't remember the name of the show or the DJ, but I Impatiently listened as I tried to guess what song made it to number one.
    Sunday Morning on a cold or rainy day, When we get back from church I put my PJ's back on, and lay in bed With a stack of comic books I was dying to read.
    Sunday morning My mom would be up early prepping for the Pasta feast we'd have every sunday afternoon. I'd wake up to Her browning beef, frying meatballs, or dressing the tray of chicken parts with her Paprika mix dry Ingredients, I especially loved the taste of the crisp chicken skin. I wish I knew how she could get the skin crispy without drying out the meat.
    I remember hanging about 50ft. of wire with a clothes pin to our clothes line to use as an antenna for my cat whiskers radio.
    I really enjoyed my childhood Without knowing At the time how special these memories become.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that the countdown , at least the main one , was by Casey Kasem. I remember that he also did the year end special of the top songs from each year. That was how I spent New Year’s Eve, was listening to the countdown. I think that one might have been the Top 100 songs for the year.

10. Jan Ahlmann

Jan Ahlmann Well-Known Member
    Registered

I tried to give my son some of what I had. I was a single mother and by the time he was going into 2nd Grade he was going to his third school, so I made the decision to put my career on hold so he had a place to grow up. It was a small. safe town and he had many neighborhood friends and they would spend summers at the beach and riding bikes. In high school, he was the captain of the football team, an honors student and he played hockey.

Somewhere, sometime our relationship went off the rails. I hope he at least has some fond memories of his childhood.

11. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Casey did the top 100, not sure who the DJ was but I remember 1960 the number one song was a summer place, That year I taped on real to real tape all 100 songs.
    I believe the station was the same one that William B William was a DJ WNEW.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Julia Curtis

Registered

I don't know where you find these things but that is really something.

13. Julia Curtis

Registered

On kraft dinner as a kid but not eggs.:)

Tony Page, Nancy Hart and Jan Ahlmann like this.
  14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We had just moved to long island from brooklyn, And about a mile and a half from our house was a mcdonald's that was nineteen sixty two. First time I was at the golden arches I must have had 4 burgers.
    Here's the menu from that year.

upload_2023-12-16_21-0-30.png

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I still do. I can't imagine scrambled eggs without them. If I have a breakfast burrito, I open it up and put ketchup on it.

We moved to Virginia from Indiana in the summer of '63. That's when I had my first McDonald's. I was upset because they did not do special orders...I hate ketchup on my burgers. Always have/always will.