A Few Old Movies You Might Want To Try

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Jan Ahlmann, Dec 17, 2023.

1. Jan Ahlmann

Jan Ahlmann Well-Known Member
    Registered

I pretty much just watch old movies now, although I did see Equalizer 3 with Denzel Washington. I like all three of those. He doesn't make movies with gratuitous sex and overly bloody.

Anyways, I caught The Red House on Amazon Prime the other day. Edward G. Robinson is in it. It was good. Three of my favorites that I watch over and over are Hitchcock's Rebecca (based on an excellent book by Daphne Du Maurier); Midnight Lace with Doris Day (it's like a Hitchcock movie); and Leave Her to Heaven with Gene Tierney, one of my all time favorites. It's based on a book by Ben Ames Williams which is also good. Amazon has it.

Any favorite old moves to recommend?

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We like old westerns, and he likes many movies I do not like. All the war movies..geez there will be another soon no need to repeat now. Aside from White Christmas I don't watch many old movies, or new ones really. sorry

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't really watch any "old movie", like back in the 40's/50's. We have a few Audi Murphy western movies and his To Hell And Back WWII movie about his life. I like, and we have, "action" type movies, like Under Siege (Steven Stegal), Last Stand (Arnold S.) and others. Comedies, like: Weekend At Bernie's, Blended, Bringing Down The House, etc.. Religious: The Shack, Blind Side and others. And, a few westerns, in color, not black/white. So, for us, a good variety.

Jan Ahlmann and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

The Red House is a very good movie. I didn't think anyone ever heard of it.

Andrea Lindsey and Jan Ahlmann like this.
  5. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

especially lovers of "The Christmas Story" from 1983.

I got to thinking about who the heck was the narator in the movie because he really was excellent and I felt how little people ever talk about him, including me! So I looked it up and his name is Jean Shepherd. I found out he was the writer of the story and other stories as well. I'll put the article below if your are interested, also the link to the IMDB info on the movie itself. I'm going to watch it tonight, and watch it every year. It so brings back memories of Christmases when I was a little girl. Although it's set in some years before my time, when radio and Little Orphan Annie & Ovaltine was a big thing for kids:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Shepherd

The Christmas Story, 1983

Andrea Lindsey likes this.
  6. Andrea Lindsey

Andrea Lindsey Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh I love all four of those, Jan! Joan Fontaine is the perfect Rebecca. I watch an old black and white on YouTube almost every night and on Sunday afternoons I watch one with a tiny group of people on a Classic Film site: https://classicfilmtvradio.freeforums.net/ We watch at the same time and make comments.

The old movies had a real story and not just a lot of special effects and explosions. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- my husband watches that kind on the TV while I watch mine on the PC.

What we watched yesterday was, "The Human Comedy," So good!

Nancy Hart and Jan Ahlmann like this.
  7. Jan Ahlmann

Jan Ahlmann Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’ll check out the forum. Thanks!

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Dan, we just watched a really great movie last night. Story of June Carter, the beginning was a little slow, but it was a romance, thriller, history, all wrapped up into one.
    Such a surprise to see a woman of the 2000s to playing June Carter Cash, she was my grandkids favorite singers, The guy playing Johnny Cash was also a great actor.
    Very rare for today's actors to be able to play old performers.
    @Yvonne Smith, you may like this one if you hadn't already seen it.

Dan Miles likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"Laura" from 1944 was another great Gene Tierney movie. And has one of my favorite title songs.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.