A Historical Fiction Of World War 2

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Richard Whiting, Jul 18, 2023.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have been re-reading W.E.B. Griffin's historical fiction novel of "The Corps" a story of the U.S. Marines in the Pacific during WW2.

While all of the actual events, dates, places, battles, etc are accurate, the MAIN characters are fictional. But the famous people we are familiar with are true to life: Gen. MacArthur, Admiral Nimitz, Sec of Navy: Frank Knox and , of course Pres. Roosevelt. As well as many U.S. Marines we are familiar with.

I say "historical fiction" because the events are true , but W.E.B. Griffin has installed fictional characters. During the novels, we are heavily involved in the day to day life of some 40+ characters.

Some of the things I like so much about this series are the "behind the scene " thinking of those who handled the super secret breaking of the JN 25,: the Japanese naval codes . Without which we would have had a much more difficult task of winning the war.

There are a total of 7 novels in his series:
    1.) Semper Fi
    2.) Call to Arms
    3.) Counterattack
    4.) Battleground
    5.) Line of Fire
    6.) Close Combat
    7.) Behind the Lines.

A darn good read. They will keep you engrossed for weeks. New York Times "Best Seller List".

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
    Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have read a good many of Griffin's novels. Some of the ones I learned the most from were the ones about the war in South America. I was pretty much in the dark about the conflicts there,

Richard Whiting likes this.
  3. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yeah, that was an excellent series also. :)

Don Alaska likes this.