Aches & Pains

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This can be a general thread to report, discuss, or complain about aches and pains that don't necessarily call for a thread of their own.

For example, I woke up with horrific neck pain, the worst I've ever experienced. Of course, something might be said for the possibility that every time I wake up with neck pain, it's the worst I've ever experienced. Are my neck pains getting worse or am I forgetting how painful the ones preceding them were?

Anyhow, the right side of my neck, toward the back, hurts and it has hurt all day. If I raise my left hand, the pain in the right side of my neck hurts increases. If I turn my neck to the right, it increases, but if I turn my neck slightly to the left, it decreases. However, if I turn it further to the left, the pain increases. If I am leaning backward in the chair, I can lift my left hand without increasing the pain in my neck.

This hasn't been a good day. I also fell down the last couple of steps on the stairway, breaking my fall with my thumb, which also hurts now.

I'm going to have to see if I can talk my wife into sleeping with the bed flat tonight or sleep on the futon. Oh, she will surely agree to put the bed flat but I'm worried that she will wake up during the night and raise the head of the bed, forgetting why it was down.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry for your pain, Ken. And do be careful on those stairs; seems like you have fallen on them several times now. Hope you're better tomorrow.

3. Ken Anderson

Except for the fall from the fire escape, which was due to ice and snow, the other falls were related to one of two things: cats and flip-flops. I wear flip-flops a lot because they're easy to slip on but they tend to be a problem on the steps. Then there are the cats, both of whom seem to enjoy tripping me up. They insist on running in front of me, but then they'll make sudden stops.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Are your stairs wood? We have oak stairs that I'd like to have carpeted now that we're getting older, but my husband doesn't want the wood covered. When we moved into this house the stairs had carpet but he pulled it off and added the oak treads and painted risers, which look really nice but aren't as forgiving for a fall.

The aches and pains I have are mostly related to surgery and radiation. Even though I do exercises and stretches every single day, the surgical treatment area still feels tight and uncomfortable. If I move in certain ways, the tissue underneath the radiation field almost feels like micro tears in the tissue... a burning kind of pain. I'm used to it but it's a constant companion... just nagging.

5. Ken Anderson

They are wood, although we have cloth carpet squares in the center of them.

Having gone through radiation therapy, that can be a nagging problem, and I'm never sure which pains and problems can be reasonably attributed to the radiation. Of course, I was radiated in a different part of the body but, it's been fifteen years, and I still can't sit comfortably. As with the aches and pains that come with aging, after a while I pretty much just accept some of that stuff as being normal, but I do remember when it wasn't there. At the time that I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, I felt perfectly healthy.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My wife has had neck issues for as long as I have know her. She started having numbness in her arms, so I bought her one of these and it made a remarkable difference in her pain level and sleep. Her numbness has mostly gone and her neck pain is totally gone.
    As far as the flip-flops go, try Gators instead. They are more secure than flip-flops and are what I use for short trips.

7. Ken Anderson

That would probably be comfortable while lying on my back. I'm not sure that I could sleep through the night on my back, though. I usually sleep on my side.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You probably got a nice case of whiplash from the unexpected fall.
    I have had a few weird aches and pains happen especially after forgetting about the last rung on a ladder when I’m dismounting it.
    One time I jammed a knee and another time I did hurt my neck and back so whiplash isn’t out of the question.

9. Ken Anderson

No, I woke up with neck pain. The fall came later.

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

This pillow is not for sleeping. You use it for a few minutes at a time 3 times a day, working up to 10 minutes at a time 3 times a day. It expressly states NOT to use it for sleeping.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I remember years ago I was going downstairs carrying a cup of coffee. I thought I was on the last step but it was the next-to-last. I kind of "pawed" the air with one foot and stumbled to the floor, spilling coffee all over myself. I sat there in a puddle with my little dog barking at me. Nothing hurt except my pride.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I understand that! I have one indoor cat. He does the same thing. I think he tries to kill me on a daily basis. I think my neck hurts from looking down all the time so I don't trip over the cat. :D

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Hope your better soon Ken, I did a very hard body slam last month while walking,sore but ok.

14. Ken Anderson

Thanks. My neck still hurts, but maybe not as bad as it did a couple of days ago.

15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Krystal, we have a spastic dog and I have to watch she doesn't trip me up.
    But what a personality, she is so cute, her fracial expressions are abnormal for a dog, she will roll her eyes ,turn her head if mad and her pointed ears give her present feelings away.

Krystal Shay likes this.