Aches & Pains

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

There are many, many posts on the breast cancer forum from people who "did everything right" and still got cancer. They are thin, athletic, eat "clean" :rolleyes:, spend hours a day in the gym, breast-fed their babies, etc. and still got cancer. They are resentful and angry. I'm glad I ate the french fries. :D

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since my neck still hurts, I have ordered one of these. Although my neck might quit hurting by the time it arrives, neck pain is a periodic problem with me, probably related to sleeping wrongly because it's always something that I wake up with.

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I hope it helps you as much as it has helped my wife, @Ken Anderson

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

That is great your wife got relief from that neck support "pillow." I tried it but it didn't help me. I have also tried several expensive pillows and my current one works best. It was $250 on sale. It conforms to the shape of your neck. The drawback is it is hard. One has to be a back sleeper to make it work best. I have too much titanium in my neck so all the pressure is on a few upper and lower discs and nothing will change that on a permanent basis.

What works best for daytime relief is my flaxseed microwave-heated, heat pad. Also changing to high mock neck racerback bras has also helped because of no strap shoulder impingement but yet supports back muscles and lower neck.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Maybe Ken needs to try one of those racer-back bras. :p

Faye Fox, Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Has anyone here used or know about the benefits of pure -not only for hair and nails,
    is used externally only for pain, and digestion . My oldest daughter swears by this.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2023
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Eeeeeewwwww. I remember my mother using castor oil as a laxative when I was a kid. Most disgusting stuff EVER. I have heard that it is toxic to animals.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It’s been a long time but yes, I have used castor oil to relieve the pain associated with sprains and such and it does do a good job as a topical treatment.
    Also, I knew a guy who used it for hair growth. I never saw any difference in his hair but he too swore by it.

Interestingly though, somewhere along the line I heard that the United States is the only country that uses the stuff Internally which isn’t what it is intended for.
    WD-40 is also good for sprains but like castor oil, I wouldn’t drink it.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Sounds reasonable. Castor beans contain ricin. An estimated lethal oral dose in humans is approximately 1 milligram per kilogram of body weight. It is the heating process of the oil that deactivates the ricin.

10. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

After I turned 65, I stopped wearing any footwear that didn't have a heel strap. Flip flops/slippers are asking for trouble - as a few of my friends found out. Sandals are easy to put on & safe.

Hedi Mitchell and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I may get one of these.

[​IMG]

I've had a cervical disc fixed and that puts strain on the adjacent ones (although my residual disc problem is a weak left leg because of sciatica.) I have all sorts of chiropractic pillows for propping up my back, legs, neck, etc.

These are on Black Friday sale on Amazon for $20. Link

12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Bobby Cole - well this castor oil is not to be ingested. Suppose to put a drop or two in belly button to aid in digestion.
    My oldest daughter who has had more than her share of aches and pains and a host of medical issues- swears by this stuff. She only uses this brand also. She is wanting me to try for lesser issues, just wondered if any here had tried.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I had no idea this was a "thing," and am shocked at the number of results that come up on an internet search for "Castor oil in belly button." Apparently people throughout history (dating back to the ancient Egyptians) in a myriad of cultures have been doing this for a myriad of ailments, as well as applying castor oil topically.

edit to add: This article says "Applying the extracted oil to the belly button is believed to stimulate the absorption of nutrients and bioactive compounds into the bloodstream. The umbilical vein, which once carried nutrients to the developing fetus, is still present in the adult body and has the ability to facilitate the absorption of substances applied to the belly button."

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I doubt my mangled up belly button would carry anymore nutrients into my digestive system than just applying it above or below it. Castor oil works much like diclofenac sodium topical gel. It is an anti inflammatory. The DST gel certainly smells better and tends to work faster. DST has more drug interactions than castor oil which might be an issue with seniors on several meds. Castor oil tends to have more interactions with vitamin and mineral supplements than DST.

In either case, severe reactions are rare if used topical.

For those wanting to keep life as natural as possible, then castor oil might be the way to go.

Has anyone tried putting marijuana oil on their belly button? That might be an interesting study. It might help increase appetite in seniors whose appetites have dwindled with age. If I didn't have inner ear damage and balance nerve loss, forbidding such a nerve intoxicant, I might experiment and go lesbo with Mary Jane. o_O:D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I just eat a gummie, before bed- end of issue :D

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.