Acute Viral Pharyngitis

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, do you happen to have any of the do-it-yourself covid tests? My friend had very similar symptoms to yours... in particular the fever and horrible sore throat. She did the at-home Covid test and it was positive. She never went to the doctor but she called his office and was advised to rest, drink fluids, etc. It lasted about 2 miserable weeks.

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just had a Covid test at the hospital yesterday.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, I know. But it never hurts to double-check. :D I hope you feel better soon.

Bruce Andrew and Ken Anderson like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

My former doctor, who has become a friend of my wife's, called today and it seems that she and her husband have the same thing, and we haven't seen them recently so it must be something that's going around.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm sorry you're ill, but it's good that an MD verifies that it's nothing to be concerned over. I imagine the cats are treading lightly.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

They're confused because my voice has become squeaky, I think. Plus, I don't want to do a log of hugging on them. Although I doubt it's something they could catch, there's no point in taking a chance. This is about as bad as anything I've had, though. I am miserable, and it always gets way worse at night so I haven't had a decent night's sleep since Monday.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.
  7. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't like the idea that your temperature is going up. Can you see someone else for an opinion?

Ken Anderson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I voted NO, I'm not a big test person in general. I'm at a point and will be seeing my MD in May for an annual, that I want hardly any lab tests. I'm fine and count on my years of taking supplements.

I have NOT taken any of the jabs and continue to hear of many having long haul issues and so many bought into the experimental stuff.

Ken Anderson and John Brunner like this.
  9. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken, WTF? Really sorry to hear of this crap you're going through. I didn't read the complete thread, but I gather you don't have Covid, right? I had some crud that made me feel like I was getting the flu, but only at night. It hung on for a week.

I know there's so much out there that medical science knows nothing about.

I hope you're soon feeling like your old self. Get better!

10. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken - Praying for your full and speedy recovery.

11. Ken Anderson

100.2 is the highest I've seen so far. It drops down to the 98s or 99s, then bumps up to 100. I'm not sure, but it seems to correlate with the amount of fluid I am taking in. When I'm drinking a lot of water or iced tea, it stays below 100. I've been mostly sleeping all day today, but I'll check my temperature right now - 99.1. The sore throat has lessened but, at the same time, my voice has nearly disappeared. There's still a lot of congestion and the headache can be dulled somewhat with Ibuprofen but it never goes away. That's a part of the reason I've been sleeping off and on all day today; my headache gets worse when my eyes are open so I've been closing them, and that leads to falling asleep. My wife got it a few days before I did, and she's feeling pretty good today. She generally brings this stuff home to me, since she's involved with a whole lot of people every day, but I usually get sicker than she does.

No, no Covid. Usually, I will get to feeling a bit better by the afternoon, thinking that the virus was on its way out, but then it gets really bad at night.

12. John Brunner

Since this has been taken out of the COVID thread, I can tell my story.

Not long after I moved here (2010) I picked up a bad case of strep (yeh, I know that strep is bacterial) from an IHOP waitress who came in to work with it. She informed me she had it after I had finished my meal and she was sitting at the other side of my table chatting. After a few days I could not talk. I went to an ENT guy who shoved a camera up my nose and down my throat...my vocal cords were coated with plaque (leukoplakia.) This guy had a very basic setup. His equipment had no way to capture screenshots of the camera images, nor he did take pictures of the video screen with a camera or cell phone...he got out a pad and a pencil and sketched what he saw for future reference to measure progress against! I guess I should have been grateful he didn't break out the stone tablet and the chisel.

He prescribed a Zpak (5 days of azithromycin) which didn't do a darned thing, so he put me on a 10 day course of something stronger, which cured it. The upside is I had been trying to give up cigars, and I was worried that my smoking had done real harm (throat cancer), so this motivated me to quit. I've not had a relapse (of leukoplakia or of smoking.)

I was really angry at Ashley (the waitress), so the next time I was at IHOP, I told that waitress to tell Ashley that I caught something from her but to not worry...the penicillin was clearing it up. I knew what a Peyton Place that IHOP was, and I knew what I had just done. Sure enough, the next time I saw Ashley, she was livid. "What did you tell her?!?!?!?" I told her to not do that again.

13. Ken Anderson

14. John Brunner

That's annoying.

15. Ken Anderson

It concerns me because my body temperature doesn't usually change much; it's usually 97.6. WebMD doesn't define it as a fever until it reaches 100.4 and it hasn't reached that yet, but I consider a more reasonable definition as being a temperature above the normal temperature for an individual and, in that sense, it is.

Trevalius Guyus and John Brunner like this.