Alternative Gardening, Hydroponic, Aquaponic, Hugulkulture

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Marie Mallery, Jul 15, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Is this the GeoTech stuff you mean, Don?

I had begun to lay out a drip irrigation system, but my water is so hard I know the thing will clog up after one season. I have 2 outdoor faucets: unsoftened water and softened. I know my softener is high-efficiency, but it would still put salt into the soil...and the salt might clog up the system just as much as the minerals would. I've been so lazy...I need to get my rainwater collection system set up.

Regarding that Weed Dragon...one of those is on my perpetual Craigslist hunt. All guys like fire ;)

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Don I'm kind of burnt out on gardening this year, but hope to get back into it this fall. I am getting raised bed ready. May start hügelkultur if hubby will weed it.It needs a weed eater.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I can't say for sure, as what we have only comes in two widths both of which are much wider than the 4 or 5 foot width mentioned. The stuff I buy is used by professional landscapers and road crews and probably wouldn't ship by Amazon except in small amounts that can be folded. It may well be the same stuff, but I can't say for sure.

This is what you need for your tractor in a smaller 4-row version:).

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. John Brunner

What a great idea!

"I had 100 people over the other day. We made S'Mores. There was no line."

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

I just checked on it and the wide ones can go up $899.00. Width really raises the price.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

That is true. That is why I don't have one, but rich guys like @John Brunner.... I had an associate that was a long-time organic farmer and he had one for his tractor, but he farmed 20 acres or so. He would till the entire area every spring and wait 10 days to 2 weeks, then run the flamer over the entire place prior to planting. He may have done it again a few days late to be certain, but he had no weeds on his 20 acres of veggies. His theory was that the tilling awakened the weed seeds and they would sprout. He would then cook them before they became a problem. Oh, and @John Brunner about the calcium in the drip system...if you take it up and put the tubing and fittings into a mild acid bath--vinegar or citric acid--prior to shelving it for the season, it should keep the calcification at bay at least unless you are using liquid rocks to water your garden.

7. John Brunner

I really really like fire. ;) Man, what a great idea. I could buy a bunch of used Coleman stoves, mount them upside-down....

Regarding my water...in addition to being hard (225mg/l or 13 grains) there are a lot of visible mica flakes in it. I have an inline ball valve for turning off the water to replace the filters. There's mica in it, so now the flow is never shut completely off.

Attached Files:

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

This is the only thing we have ready now to plant, we put worms we raised in it then covered it with cardboard from delivery boxes. I made this raised bed about 15 yr.s ago, improvements have been done on the bed over the years. on it since then.
    had used the hügelkultur type system on it by digging down about 3' and putting some fallen limbs and brush into the trench then covered it back up. did this to both sides.

I can cover it with shade cloth in summer or plastic in winter.

[​IMG]

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Jake planted too many seeds in peat pellets. Now we have to get up pots to transplant them all.
    I'm thinking setting back up the hydroponics may be easier, Jaske said," we need to replace some of the buckets so not a good idea.
    It is easier once it is set up, but then too, we'd have to use heat on cold nights. I'm tired.:(

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

As far as alternative gardening, I continue to work on my food forest. Since I already have been eating 'weeds' it is not hard for me to harvest and requires little planting and weeding. Now the governments are talking about home garden carbon foot prints being to large.:eek:
    What can they do to me if the shtf? Weed my property?

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Certainly a good alternative to gardening, @Mary Stetler but if everyone does it, there wouldn't be enough to go around. That is why agriculture was invented. I would certainly keep your preps and weed garden secret from your neighbors,

12. Mary Stetler

Registered

I actually was thinking of holding classes to identify edible weeds to fight the powers that be. So much free food in your yard if you know what to look for. This year will be putting more weeds up to see how it goes. Will still grow 'normal' stuff. Nettle is the most nutrient rich vegetable.

13. Mary Stetler

Registered

And no eyebrows.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

They won't have to search for the weeds though. They can just come over to Mary's farm and take hers.

15. John Brunner

There's a small farm in my region that gives those types of classes. The get big bucks for them, and people come from all over.

Here's a link to their Whole Living Class.

85 hours across an entire growing season. $2,260 per student. It fills up fast.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.