Amazon Delivery

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Mary Robi, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I bought a couple of items from Amazon last week ,they were delivered very quickly , however the package arrived
    open :eek::( .
    I’d been away for the day so didn’t get home till after office hours to inquire if it was open when it was placed in my letter box and it was quite oblivious as it’s a A4 size package in a letter box designed for letters only .

I phoned Amazon the next morning cause one of my items that I was waiting on in particular was missing
    I have a sore bunion that my dance shoes tend to rub ,so I’d ordered like a slip over the big toe mini socks
    ( 2 pairs ) that was missing, Amazon were so good they insisted on refunding me the whole grand amount of $7. 38 it had cost me .

I latter asked my neighbour when he talks to the postman next (they are friends ) could he ask if the pack was open
    when he picked it up from the main post office …..It turned out it was open ….and he’d found my “ missing items “
    in the bottom of the plastic crate he picks up the parcels in , and takes them to another very small post office / deli / cafe (combined) to sort for delivering .

However he didn’t know who the items belonged to until my neighbours asked him about my missing stuff ( other parcels must have been damaged as well)

The postie dropped off my item …3 days after me getting the refund …..so luckily it’s easy no waiting to get onto Amazon on the phone to let them know I’d eventually got the missing items ..so I re- payed them again for the refund they had given me the whole big amount:):D of $7.38 ……I like to keep my name “ clean”

I’d previously sent them photos of the damaged package that was only partly cut .but it was enough for my items to fall out .

635310D5-7C3B-43DE-9048-FA88A2221F83.jpeg 635310D5-7C3B-43DE-9048-FA88A2221F83.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  2. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

"Ken Anderson,

I just got a small rug from Amazon; it was delivered on time but left in the building' s lobby instead of my front door as agreed. I called Amazon "to report the situation" and they give me a gift card for the next purchase. Not bad.

Mary Stetler and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We ate 2 of the worst dented cans of salmon from Amazon which got them from Walmart., so far still kicking.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Dennis Compton

Dennis Compton Active Member
    Registered

I love this relatively new feature of delivery confirmation and it works both ways. Amazon proves they dropped off but the photo is also useful to the recipient to claim a refund when the drop area is incorrect. I recently had a delivery with photo that clearly showed the wrong suite number, cue instant refund.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Many people live in places where they can place an order with Amazon and receive it the same day. While in Maryland, my wife noted that they could order something from there and receive it the next day. Living in an area distant from an Amazon warehousing point, I don't expect same-day or even next-day delivery. However, I don't understand that; although I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, my orders are usually not even shipped for a week or two. Once it is finally shipped, I can expect to receive it within a couple of days, but often, Amazon doesn't even ship it within a couple of weeks. No, I'm not talking about third-party orders, either.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We usually get our orders within 2 weeks, although sometimes faster, sometimes slower. I understand they are building an Amazon warehouse at the Anchorage airport, so that may speed things up. During Covid, Amazon started flights up here once a week on Thursdays, and increased to several times a week later. We have a low spread out population, but we order more per capita than most other states. When I lived in the Bush, we would get invited to "The Mall', which meant an invitation to peruse a family's collection of catalogs.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I can find nothing on a general web search that discusses Amazon's actual Order Processing times, especially relating to geographical differences. Most results discuss "it's slower lately," or they talk about transit time once it's shipped.

I did find a thread started Sept 2016 on Amazon's website where someone asked why their orders are taking so long to ship. (There are 99 pages of responses...I think that's maxed out their per-thread page capacity.) Here is one response from Jan 2023:

Free Walmart shipping is always much faster than Amazon where I live. Sometimes more than a week faster. I live in a county with 50,000 people, about 2 hours from Atlanta so there is no way Amazon actually need to take this long. It seems they don't want our business, after they charge for the Prime subscription.

So that guy is 2 hours outside of Atlanta and sees way better service from Walmart (I think we discussed Walmart as an option before.) I don't think it's got anything to do with low population regions (most northeastern states have populations of only 1 million), since Georgia has 11 million people and is experiencing poor service...at least, in some areas.

My delivery times in rural central Virginia have been--and continue to be--fine, with me always choosing Free Shipping and receipt often occurring within 7 days of placing the order (kudos to my local USPS and UPS folks.) I figure that vendors like Amazon have an incentive to process orders quickly since they cannot charge the credit card until they ship, so delays in shipping only serve to hurt their cash flow and to make disgruntled customers.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When I order something from amazon, they always have a little blurb that says it “arrives by Friday” (etc, depending on what day I am ordering), or maybe “arrives by tomorrow if ordered in the next hour”.
    It does not always get here that fast, but most of the time, I can track the order and see that it was shipped when it was supposed to be. Our orders usually arrive within 2-4 days normally.

10. John Brunner

I just got my Amazon delivery. I got a text saying Amazon is trying to get people to use their Alexa spies by having a "contest." Drivers are supposed to see how many people they can get to use Alexa device to thank them. "If you don't have an Alexa device, you can find Alexa in the Amazon app on your phone." No I can't. I don't have your "app."

The driver was nice enough. She thanked me for keeping her job secure, and I thanked her for helping me avoid going out in public. ;)

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I always get a photo & e-mail with delivery. I like it. Once I got an e-mail saying my item was delivered, but I didn't get it. I recognized my neighbor's porch in the photo, so it was resolved easily.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

I posted elsewhere that the latest example of unfit humans comes from Amazon delivery drivers who drop off your package on your porch, take the photo as proof of conforming delivery, then pick the package up and take it home for themselves. Customers are correct when they realize that their package has been stolen. They would never guess who the thief was (unless their Ring doorbell caught the action.)

13. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Did you reported the driver for " wrong address delivery"?

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

You and I never got our motor bikes. I know that yours was so small that it might have been lost but...
    ;)