Amazon Just Delivered My New Kindle Reader

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Can books be purchased in larger print ?

Sometimes my glasses aren't the correction I really need. Other times they seem fine .

I don't think I want an electronic book either.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You can buy large print books, but it is more of a problem than just getting regular size print, and not likely at all if you shop used books stores like I usually do. I can still read regular books, and it took a while to adjust to the feel of just having a flat little device in my hand, and touching it to turn pages; but once I got used to it, I started really liking it more and more.
    I used to always carry along a book to read if I was traveling, or had an appointment somewhere, and now, i just use the kindle app on my phone , so I do not have to take along anything extra.

One of the things that i totally LOVE , is the dictionary that is part of reading with the kindle. You just touch the word, and the whole definition pops up, so you never need to look up an unfamiliar word when you are reading. There are words that i know what they mean, but not the precise definition, and with the built-in dictionary, I can look them up and know precisely what they mean, and where the word originated.

I have a huge online library from Amazon, and when I find books on sale that i want, then I add to the library. Kindle also does audio books, for people who enjoy that. I prefer to actually read the book, but my daughter loves audio books, and she listens while she is driving, doing housework, or just relaxing.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It took me a while to get used to a Kindle, too. I was also one of those who said that he preferred real books and, in some ways, I still do, but the Kindle books are much cheaper, so when I want to read something that I'm not particularly interested in having in my library, I'll get it on Kindle, often for free.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

You can also get large print books from your library. I don't like large print as it bothers my eyes. Conventional print is fine with me. Since my cataract surgery some years ago, I had new lenses implanted and now have 20/20 vision. Glasses no longer required, although for extremely fine print, I'll done a pair of regular reading glasses.