Amazon Kindle Ebooks Sales

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Every day, Amazon puts some of their ebooks on sale either really cheap, and sometimes free. To find these free books, you go to the Kindle Store choose the type of book you want to find (cookbook, novel of some kind, DIY, etc) and then have the selection shown by price , from low to high.
    You will get all of the free books in that selection first, then the 99 cent ones, and so on, and it shows if they are on sale usually.

If it is hard to remember to check every few days, you can sign up for a book email website like Bookbub.com or bookgorilla.com. I use both of those, and really recommend them. When you register (free) you choose the genre of books you want to receive sale information about, and then they send you an email every day with those books that are currently on sale.
    Most of them, you can get on other websites besides amazon, also, if you usually buy ebooks some other day.

These sale books are sometimes only on sale for a day, so when you go to buy one that says it is free, always look at the current amazon price for the book, in case it has changed since the list came out.
    Using this method, you can amass a huge online library for almost no cost, which is what I am doing, and then organizing them into collections by topics.

Here is an example of one on sale today, and I thought it might be of interest to @John Brunner , since he has that specific iPhone.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BB4SZV9G/ref=nodl_?dplnkId=2b9d042c-63d6-44f7-b29f-45612a7c0e57

I read a lot, so I also have Kindle Unlimited, and with that , you can borrow many kindle books for free and keep them as long as you want to, as long as you have no more than 10 books at any one time.

581758D8-6B2B-4BB5-8C94-431EAF1E4548.jpeg

2. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I might have mentioned this before, apologies if I did, but another source of free books with expired copyrights (so older books) can be found at this link.

https://www.gutenberg.org/

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

So with a Kindle, you are not constantly exposed to the internet, right? You see a book you want and you download it. Do you have any idea what a typical file size is?

4. John Brunner

Oh...how many books can you save on your Kindle? Can you offload them to a hard drive for storage and then move them back when you want to read them?

5. Thomas Windom

Registered

I’m not sure what you mean by internet exposure but when using the apps (Kindle or iBooks) on an iPad, it’s pretty dedicated to that function, no other intrusions. My wife has over 800 books in iBooks alone so no idea what the limits are. For movies on iTunes, there’s no limit because, even though you own it, it’s stored on Apple’s servers and just immediately downloaded to your device when you want it, so no local storage constraints. Seems like it should work that way with books too.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know how many books a Kindle will hold, but purchases (including free) made on Amazon are always available on your Amazon account under Digital Purchases. So you can delete stuff off your Kindle (or regular tablet with Kindle app) and load it back later.

7. Yvonne Smith

This depends on what Kindle you get, but you can turn off internet, just like you can with an iPad or your iPhone. The Kindle Fire is basically like an iPad, it goes online and can have all kinds of apps , and many people use that as their only online device. I think that is what @Denise Evans uses, so she can give you more information about that function.
    I just used my kindle for reading, but I left it connected to the internet, and it is all you need to go to amazon kindle store and get books.

The Kindles like the Paperwhite are dedicated strictly to reading, and not for internet browsing. I think that I read you can have a thousand or more books on the kindles; but I have never come even close to that. The Paperwhite has a connection that only connects to Amazon to download books, and not to anywhere else, and they are really lightweight, perfect for reading with .
    I store most of mine on the cloud with amazon, and then download what I want to read. When I read novels, I often just delete them once I am finished, unless it is part of a series and I want to save them until I finish the series.
    We should have more information in the Kindle threads, too, @John Brunner .

I have the amazon app on all of my Apple devices, so I can read my Kindle books from any of them, depending on what I am reading . If it is a craft/knitting/DIY type of book where I need to see charts, then I use my larger iPad. When I am just reading and not looking at pictures, the Mini is perfect for me, and it is also just right for cookbooks where you want to carry the ipad into the kitchen with the recipe you are making.

Denise Evans likes this.
  8. John Brunner

It just hit me that for survivalist needs, a Kindle loaded with 1st aid data and wild edibles books, etc, would be a great tool. All you would need is a solar charger. And maybe a backup.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I rarely buy a Kindle book because there's so much for free available that I haven't read, and when I do buy a Kindle book, it's often less than a dollar. I also have Kindle Unlimited, which lets me borrow books for free. I can keep them on my Kindle as long as I want to but can only have ten at a time.

10. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

But for a new book, you'd need internet is the only thing so you would download all the books you would need/want when there was no internet. The way things are going, with space-exploration I think that internet might be more available in the future, maybe even free from anywhere on Earth, without the middle-man like Spectrum. Maybe that's just silly to think that but maybe some of you might know if that could happen??

Back to subject, I have 100 or so books on mine, since I had my first Nook Reader, then the next 2 were Kindles. My Kindle is really slowing down and I didn't think I had that many books actually downloaded so I need to check :p You can also have an extra SDcard I think they are called and keep your books on that for extra storage space and a backup ;)

11. Thomas Windom

Registered

I have an older model of one of these, charge while you cook.

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2-plus

Denise Evans and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

Thomas Windom likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Thomas Windom likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

I belong to two websites that let me know when Amazon has kindle books on sale that I am interested in. For both of these websites, you make a free account, and then select the kinds of books you are interested in reading, such as health, cookbooks, crafts, or any kind of fiction books. they have a whole list to choose from.
    Then they will send you an email with books on those categories that Amazon has on sale in the Kindle store. This is an easy way to not miss books that you might be interested in, but do not want to pay full price for.
    The ones that i use are Bookbub.com and BookGorilla.com, but there are probably more if a person looked.

I also go to my amazon profile page and scroll though the authors that I follow, to see if any of them have books on sale, or sometimes I just type in a subject I am interested in and see what is on sale (search by lowest price first) or is on Kindle Unlimited.
    You can store the books online , or have them stored on the Kindle, or a combination of both. Downloading is simple, just go to the Amazon Kindle store and purchase/borrow the book, and it automatically will be downloaded almost instantly into your Kindle device or app.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I store my 10 unlimited books on my kindle(s) as well as any I have purchased as reference. I keep the wi-fi turned off much of the time, as the battery lasts longer, and I don't know what they are collecting while it is connected. My REAL reference books, I keep in paper books though. Not only for the security, but also it is easier to flip back and forth in a paper book.