Amazon Prime Video

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Jo Askerne, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Jo Askerne

Jo Askerne Active Member
    Registered

I've been watching shows and movies on Amazon Prime (and Netflix). Those are the only 2 platforms I use. I got a notification that Prime will now have commercials or I can pay an extra $3 a month for ad-free. Kind of aggravates me. Are there other options? Is Prime worth paying for? Am I really getting my money's worth out of it?

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't have the bandwidth for streaming, but I heard that Disney is trying pump up their subscriber numbers so as to maintain revenue from advertisers, and they are charging something like 99¢ or $1.99 per month. Maybe "almost free" will make tolerating the commercials a little easier to swallow.

It's infuriating that they all play this game. Every subscription service was initially stood up to be User-Funded so there would be no advertisers. Then they get greedy.

Don Alaska and Andrea Lindsey like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello and welcome. It's hard to say whether you are getting your money's worth; I suppose you are the best judge of that. I order a lot from Amazon so I mostly enjoy the "free" shipping but I have been thinking about canceling Prime. We seldom watch Prime Video and I will NOT pay more for that service.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

First…… Welcome to the forum, @Jo Askerne ! We are glad to have you here. I am a greeter, so if you need help finding your way around, I am happy to help out if I can.

As for the Prime Movies, I think that depends on how much you watch movies, as to what is worthwhile for you or not.
    I have also read about the addition of some commercials, (it said not as much as regular television has, whatever that means ?) , or pay the $3 extra for no commercials.
    Prime Movies are part of the whole Prime package, so right now, you do not pay anything extra for them unless you rent a movie, or purchase it.

We use our Amazon Prime membership a lot, so just the free shipping, and other free benefits makes it worth it to us. I do not even watch movies, at least not very often, unless it is one that I really want too see.

We also have Walmart+ Assist, and that comes with a free Paramount+ movie subscription, so if you use Walmart for groceries, this might be an option for you as well.
    We have free grocery delivery, and free shipping for most things from Walmart, plus a discount on fuel; so it is worth the cost for us.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Jo Askerne

Jo Askerne Active Member
    Registered

I pretty much order everything on Amazon so maybe the shipping is paying for itself? Hard to say. I guess I'd have to keep track. I rarely go to the stores as they are basically empty most of the time.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Jo Askerne

Jo Askerne Active Member
    Registered

My town is so small I don't have a Walmart.

Don Alaska and Andrea Lindsey like this.
  7. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Jo and welcome!

I too have Prime and so far I’ve considered it worthwhile but only you can know if it is for you. Video is the least of it for me so I’m unlikely to pay for ad free. I consider TV ads a reminder to get up and move. Sitting too long is really hard on my knees.

Let us know what you decide. Maybe I will change my mind. :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Andrea Lindsey

Andrea Lindsey Well-Known Member
    Registered

I use Amazon for most of the things I order, but it's not very many things, so I canceled the Prime part as soon as I noticed they had snuck it in on me.

i don't regularly subscribe to any of the movie streaming services because I figure I'm already paying way too much for the cable TV I rarely watch.

However -- once a year I buy one month of Netflix (now 16+ dollars) and binge watch "The Crown," and anything else that looks good. By the end of the month I've seen everything that interests me.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Am I the only avid movie watcher here? :eek::D

I received the notice of the ad-free movies on Prime Video and I am not considering it. Since I cut the cord of cable and the gift of a Roku tv I've gotten used to watching the commercials. They aren't that long a few blinks and the movie is back on. I also shop on Amazon for the free shipping it works for me to buy just the minimum.

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Prime has been a life-saver for us as far as shipping goes. THAT is the reason we maintain it, as it certainly pays for itself in shipping alone. We use Prime to watch old TV shows and a few movies. No Netflix or other subscription at the moment, except for BritBox, which I watch all the time.

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been considering Britbox. I've seen some interesting trailers on Prime Video's menu.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have Amazon Prime because I often order stuff under the minimum for free shipping, although I suspect that I'm probably paying more for Prime than I am saving, math not being my strong point. I do watch Amazon Prime sometimes but they are very slow at adding new stuff, and most of what I come across that looks interesting they want to charge rent for, and I rarely do that. I would not pay for Amazon Prime for Prime videos alone, I know that.

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If I lived in the Lower 48, I don't know if I would subscribe to Prime or not, but here it is a game-changer, as shipping costs are so great. We used to spend more on shipping gifts to grandchildren than a Prime subscription costs.