Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by K E Gordon, Sep 14, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you belong? I have only had the prime trial memberships because 100 bucks is a lot for me right now. The benefits seem nearly endless, and I think they are adding more. It is the fee shipping, I am most interested in. I think Prime was 79 dollars at one point last year. Do you think it will cheaper again before Christmas? I could order Christmas gifts for reduced prices.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Its expensive over here, so I haven't taken it up

Krissttina Isobe and K E Gordon like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have it and have had it for awhile. It was $79 when I first joined but last year the price went up to around $100.

I wasn't going to renew in December because I can order things from my kids accts but I don't know how I would have amazon video which I watch on occasion.

I still have a few months to decide.

It's definitely worth it if you buy a lot online.

K E Gordon likes this.
  4. K E Gordon

Registered

Yeah, I am not sure how AMazon UK stacks up against the American version of Amazon. I suppose it is roughly comparable. I bet you have access to different things though, that we can't get here or would pay a premium for. Strangely enough, I was looking for a certain brand of Doritos and I found it came from the UK! I didn't even know Doritos were made in the UK honestly. They were delcious but I paid a pretty penny for them...not again!

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I order enough through Amazon that it is worth it for the shipping charges alone. Prime streaming is a plus, but not a huge one anymore because they seldom add new stuff.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

It is just not worth it for me to join prime at amazon, so I am just a regular customer at amazon. I get amazon gift cards and buy, but cried a bit when free shipping went up from $35 to $49. I can find many things I need that brick and mortar just don't stock locally that I need. I needed a replacement watchband but locally I'd have to spend $15 for what I could get for 1.99 at amazon.com...I ordered from amazon!

K E Gordon likes this.
  7. K E Gordon

Registered

I order from Amazon often enough that I think Prime would be worth it to me, but only at the lower price point. I am not about to pay 100 bucks for it, However, if you look at it logically it is less than 10 dollars a month.
    I don't get something shipped from AMazon every month, maybe every other month, but you often get special prices on items and so forth as well as movies and so forth that might make it worthwhile. It is worth considering anyway.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Now that we are doing the review trader, we order from Amazon almost every day; so having Prime is what really makes the difference. Even before I started saving money with the review trader, we still ordered something almost every week because we could get what we wanted at a better price from Amazon than by shopping here at the store.
    We have Netflix, and they just raised their cost to almost $10 per month; so we pay as much just to watch TV shows as we do for Amazon Prime, which has SO many benefits, plus all of the television shows.
    The hard part is that it comes due in one lump sum instead of just a nibble each month like Netflix does. If Amazon would allow monthly payments for Prime, I bet they would double or triple their membership almost overnight.

Besides the free shipping and low prices, and the Amazon Prime Video, they have the Kindle Lending Library, and Kindle First, which are free books every month.
    The Amazon Garage is a great benefit, too. You enter the information about your vehicle, and when you are ordering parts, it will tell you which parts fit on your specific vehicle.
    We also use subscribe and save, for things like paper towels and toilet tissue, which we re-use all the time, and that saves even more from the already low price.
    There are just so many benefits from Prime that it is one of the most useful things that we pay for.

K E Gordon likes this.
  9. Debbie Seattle

Debbie Seattle Veteran Member
    Registered

Have always had Prime. Living in Seattle, we've got super speedy shipping, lockers, the trucks that have clearance items.........will say, Amazon has invaded the city and is growing like crazy. Just announced yesterday they are offering busses for their employees and dogs (like Microsoft does) to get to work.

10. K E Gordon

Registered

It would be fun to have your merchandise delivered by Drone. Amazon has a big facility in this region, in the Chesterfield area, however I think that you have to be within a few minutes of the warehouse if they are even doing it there, I am not sure, if that is the case. I have a birthday coming up, maybe I will ask for a Prime membership for my birthday, as I tend to spend quite a bit of time on Amazon anyway. I always seem to have certificates to spend on there, so having Prime would be a great advantage!

11. Yvonne Smith

What I read about the drone delivery was that it would only be small items, and I think it was for the Amazon Pantry, where they send out the fresh food right from the grocery store. The explanation was that the drone could go above traffic and straight to the address and do it much faster than a delivery person from the store could drive there. This makes sense to me, and it would only need one person to remotely fly the drone every where it went instead of drivers in all parts of the city.
    I imagine that they might send other small packages, too, and I think it said that the weight limit would be five lbs.
    Apparently there are still restrictions here in the United States, and they may start doing this in Canada first because it would be allowed up there.
    It has been a while since I read that article; so they may have gone ahead with plans to use the drones here , too, by now.
    Prime offers a month free , @K E Gordon , so if you are thinking about getting a membership, be sure to sign up and get the free month first and that way you get 13 months instead of 12.

K E Gordon likes this.
  12. K E Gordon

Registered

Oh Yvonne thanks, but you can only get those Prime Free trials, once every 12 months, and I have exhausted mine for this year. I would really like to see them lower the price again to 79 if that would happen again, signing up wiould be easier. Either way even though the drone delivery seems like fun, I am not in an area where I would be able to benefit from it. I have heard it discussed alot. It would be fun to have a drone come to your door, or drop a package off on your porch, but I digress. I will settle for Prime.

13. Yvonne Smith

Today, we received a free additional month of Prime from Amazon ! Here is how it happened. Last week, I ordered a new iphone case for Bobby that has a protective cover as well as an internal battery. Since he has my old iPhone 5, it is not holding a charge for as long as it should anymore, and with the new battery case, it will extend the charge longer for him. Plus, it is not PINK like my old case is.
    Anyway, it was supposed to have been here yesterday, and shows up until last night that it was arriving on schedule.......... but it didn't get here.
    Today, it says that it will not arrive until next Wednesday, which makes it a week-long delivery rather than the 2-day that was scheduled.
    I emailed Amazon and told them what has happened. They contacted the carrier (good old USPS, imagine that !) and told me that it will arrive on Tuesday (a little better), and that they are adding a free month to my Prime subscription as a way to make up. For the inconvenience.
    I am really happy about this, and wanted to share with everyone so that others might want to contact Amazon when your delivery from Prime is more than the scheduled 2 days. I am for sure going to be writing to them every time this happens from now on !

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I started a 30 day trial membership yesterday. We order quite often, so I plan to give it a go.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

It only cost about the same price per month as something like Netflix does, and with Amazon, you get movies, books, music, picture storage, plus all of that free 2-day delivery.
    You can even share it with other family members, too. Since you can have multiple shipping addresses and credit card numbers; each person can order, pay with their own credit card, and have it shipped free. As long as they sign in with the prime account, other family members can watch the movies, or check out the free books and magazines on Prime reading.
    We use it all of the time, and often shop for the returns or refurbished items, and save even more money.
    I am sure that you ill be happy that you chose Prime,@Joe Riley ! !