Amazon

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Patsy Faye, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Twice, I have heard that Amazon doesn't make much profit
    How can this be ?
    I thought they would make good money with all the companies trading on their site
    Any idea on this ...........................

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't heard this, @Patsy Faye ... but I *have* wondered it a few times myself. Mostly it's when I buy something really inexpensive and wonder why they send it UPS when the cost is most likely the same as or even more than what I bought. I suppose that's what everyone's Prime membership money covers, but I know I save a whole lot more on shipping over a year than I pay for Prime.

3. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Mari North - yes its a mystery to me
    As for Prime - I don't have it either, seems a big payout initially

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's worth it if you order a lot of things online. Before that I was shipping all the grandsons gifts for bdays and xmas and it got to be expensive.

5. Mari North

Registered

I do have it, Patsy... it saves me tons. I meant that people who pay but don't use it often probably helps to offset what they may be losing shipping out cheap stuff via UPS.

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Mari North

Registered

Yep... and I do a great deal of my shopping online so my Prime is something I wouldn't do without. I buy kinds of things from Amazon... it's rare that I can't find whatever I need there. Right now in my cart to order later today is a silicon baking sheet and a pedometer. (Unless someone can talk me into a FitBit instead?) :):)

Lois Winters likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Mari North - everytime I consider Prime, I think I won't be getting much now, I bet if I had gone for it back then, I would have saved
    Mind you - its £70 here - how much over there ?

8. Mari North

Registered

I just renewed and it was $99 USD. I would use so much more in shipping over a year!

Trevalius Guyus and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Mari North - its only for Amazon prime products though, that's why I can't decide
    Can't work out the dollar rate for you, not much in it for you and us I guess .............

10. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd have a hard time believing they don't make a large profit either. I mostly buy books but have bought a few other things (like two deluxe cardboard scratchers my cats enjoy) They really are getting more and more on that site.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I order online a lot but seldom from anyone but Amazon.com. Still, it seems that when I do order from someplace else, it takes practically forever for the item to arrive, so long sometimes that I forget that I had ordered it. I've ordered a few things over the past couple of weeks and have received things that I ordered from Amazon.com almost a week after some of the other stuff, which still hasn't arrived. Apart from the price, which is usually pretty good, and their relaxed return policies, I think that has a lot to do with Amazon.com's success. Even without paying for expedited shipping, pretty much everything I order from Amazon.com arrives within a couple of days. I can order something from Amazon.com and get it before I would get around to driving to Bangor to buy it from a brick-and-mortar store.

I keep hearing that Walmart is intending to go head-to-head with Amazon.com in online sales, but I don't think so. First of all, unless they close their brick-and-mortar stores, there are too many Walmart stores around to make their online sales attractive, especially if they can't offer the fast shipping that Amazon.com does. Secondly, Amazon.com has a whole lot more stuff than I want than Walmart does.

As for Amazon.com's profits, I have heard that too. Often, online companies have no profit motive other than to sell the company at a huge profit at some later date. Twitter, I understand, makes no profit yet it's value is huge. McAfee, the computer anti-virus company, became huge giving its product away, then sold at a huge profit to someone who no longer gives it away. That's the sort of thing I don't understand.

It could be that Amazon.com itself doesn't make a profit but the company is doing well from some of the bunches of other companies and businesses that they have acquired, but a lot of them - like the Internet Archive - don't seem to have a profit motive either.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

How come you mention Amazon.com so many times @Ken Anderson ....sounds like an advert, lol.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

IMG_0727.JPG

I noticed it because it's blue in my email notification:)

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was the topic.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

True!