American Bandstand, Soul Train And Such

Discussion in 'Music' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Three black ladies, calling themselves Chapel Hart, were on America's Got Talent last night. All four judges and Terry Cruise (Host) hit the Golden Buzzer for them and the entire theater crowd went crazy. They sang their own song, You Can Have Him Jolene, and done an absolutely terrific job of it. Even Simon Cowell was stunned that they hadn't signed a recording contract yet.

Country music has very few blacks in it and these three ladies would be a perfect addition to it.

Here they are, singing on AGT:
    Chapel Hart and The Judges React to The Group Golden Buzzer Moment | AGT 2022 - YouTube

Shirley Martin likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Oh, and I forgot, the two ladies at each end are sisters and the middle lady is their 1st cousin. IOW, a family trio!

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Guess no one here watches AGT. We've been watching it since 2008, when Terry Fator won the money and a Vegas Show. We were actually on a Bahamas Cruise, after an evening Show on the Cruise, came back to our cabin and watched AGT/Terry Fator.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I bumped into a YouTube video of an American Bandstand dancing competition from 1970 and had a bit of a nostalgia attack.
    The Lennon look, Mini skirts and bell bottoms were the craze at the time and I guess we all looked like we didn’t have a care in the world.
    Well, I really don’t mean WE because in 1970 this gentleman was getting ready to come home from the Nam but still, for a lot of older teens there were some fairly innocent good times.

Now, I know my first paragraph was about a 1970 competition but the video below was a competition from 1967. In ‘67, we were still dancing together for the most part and not many miniskirts were featured on TV.
    Knee length skirts and dress attire for the young men. Yup……I do remember when.
    And yeah, that was also the year I entered the military.

Just a Note: Did the gal in couple #3 hit the deck with her head? She kept going but it sure looked like it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  5. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole thank you for your service!

IMO the late '60's early 70's is what happends when youngsters start to consume the devils lettuce, left handed cigarettes , jazz cabbage, Mary Jane, THE REFER :eek:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Thank You Sir ! I do appreciate you!

Yeah, I have a few hang ups about some of the terminology that was started back then and is still used.
    For instance, I have to say cooler or refrigerator instead of saying reefer lest some of the folks I’ve worked with start Jonesing out.

Still, as little as I actually saw them it was through such dance shows as the ABS and others that certain prejudices and barriers were broken down and some of them for the better.
    Now, I have mentioned miniskirts a couple of times because I still think that there were a lot of dads back then who would have rather their daughters wore 15 layers of clothing instead of the much more revealing 12” strip of cloth but alas, dad’s gotta let go sometime.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I loved Soul Train.
    MFSB/TSOP, baby.

Love
    Peace
    and Soul

Thomas Stillhere and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Chubby Checker woo hoo!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My first pair of Jeans were vertical striped two tone Geen bell bottoms. Starting in 67 the only shirt you could find were all paisley. Previous to my arrival to nam you were allowed to wear civilian clothes off post, that changed and I never owned anything civilian until I came home. I mean I had no civilian clothes to wear until I actually went shopping. I was more interested in buying a New Buick GranSport Yellow and Blue. Couldn't get financing and finally just bought a used 65 SS 327. I drove it for 2 months and traded it back to the same seller for a nice 68 long bed Ford F-100. Drove it for a couple months until December 70 and traded it for a new 71 Mach 1. Best choice I made for sure, but I came very close to buying a new 70 model Mach 1 that had the 428 cobra and I kick myself for not buying the car, the cost was exactly the same as the 71, the 71 was so nice it looked like a Ferrari with saddle interior and all the goodies. All I ever bought in clothes was Jeans and western shirts. I like to get out of the car or truck and roll on the ground and do my own repairs.... well I did but not now, as a matter of fact I don't want to open the front door. This morning the Mother of the 3 cats I have was on my front porch trying to take food from another cat I feed in the mornings, I had to step out into the mist to chase her away. I don't mind feeding them but I don't like all the screaming and fighting heh

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I never missed a show each Saturday morning. I still keep all of the Motown classics on disc.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I remember Soul Train, but didn't watch that much. Until I met my wife, I was never into black music. Not raised around it like she was. Now I'm a major fan of Motown and Soul. Absolutely LOVE the bands, Kool and the Gang, Earth-Wind & Fire & Sly Stone.

We have a home-recorded DVD's of: Dick Clark's American Bandstand 50th Anniversary Party, History of Rock & Roll, My Music (different ones recorded from PBS) and Motown 25. At one time, we had a DVD Player/Recorder hooked up to our tv. One My Music (PBS) 60's Rock Experience Live cost us $125.00.

IOW, we have our own DVD library of Soul/Motown, Classic Rock and Oldies video concerts and music.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I wish it would rain

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Joe Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeffur, I do likes me some belly rubbin’ music…….

Joe Smith and John Brunner like this.
  15. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

In 1966 music was wonderful if you were in the Army. Today after 56 years all of the old classics keep all my memories alive. I can even remember what I was doing when I heard a song for the first time. One example was at Fort Ord for Infantry Training. There were not a lot of pay phones then and always a long line near the PX in our particular area, I was standing there in line to use the phone and heard ooh Baby Baby by Smokey Robinson, it is still one of my all time favorites. I remember California Dreaming while there at Fort Ord on the edge of the Pacific and next door to Monterey. Monterey was the original Cannery Row a long long time ago. The small airport at Monterey was thriving due to all the incoming and outgoing Military travel from Fort Ord. I found myself in the 101st Charlie company 506th Infantry and the music just kept getting better and better as time went on. I saw one of the first 45rpm mobile record players mounted in a fellow 506th member's car. The player arm dropped records with the arm underneath then it retracted and dropped the next record so on and so on. If you could remember to keep records in a cool place it was great. ;0)

Bobby Cole likes this.