An Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Laura Jones, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As I said before, Colorado, whether it be the weather, or whatever, isn't for everyone, just like Florida weather, or whatever, isn't for everyone. There are a lot of people that live throughout Florida. There are those that wish they could leave, but for different reasons, they can't and there are those, like us, that decide "Florida just isn't for us" and leave.

We've got a few former Florida people that moved here and live in our apartment complex. Here in Colorado, most people don't even want to hear the word "Florida". It took us exactly two weeks to change our license plates to Colorado from Florida. We kept getting asked "why did you pick Florida to move to". They simply wouldn't understand why we lived in Florida after leaving Colorado.

And, the people we talked to in Jacksonville, had no idea where Colorado was and would also say, "why on earth would you want to move back to snow??"

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We see tags from Colorado and wonder what took them so long to come down.:D
    We like salt water or use to and a warm climate but its all according to what your use to I guess.
    My son in laws family is from Colorado and he likes to go to Denver and go fly fishing. He got very upset when his gramdmother didn't leave him her cottage in Denver.He said nobody ever helped or visited her and she knew how much he loved the place.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One thing we have learned here, not every vehicle's license plate is people from that state. We live in Colorado, yet, we rented a vehicle that had a California plate on it.
    During the 10 1/2 years we lived in Jacksonville, we only seen one "mountain states" license plate and that was from Wyoming. The family had moved to Jacksonville from Wyoming for a reason wife and I still don't understand, but. All other out-of-state plates came from all of the East Coast and Gulf Coast states, as well as Tenn., Georgia and even Texas.

And, btw, Denver area doesn't have fly-fishing, but the mountains would, within the streams in them. We've seen fly-fishing done in Rocky Mountain National Park.

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Wll I won't tell my SIL and hope he doesn't find out. I know he was catching trout maybe they were fake trout too?

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Well all I can say is I hope they keep disliking the south and stay their Biden loving self in Colorado and not keep coming here from up north voting in libs.:eek:
    Of course now that they have ruined Ca,NY and Nj their escaping to southern states like Texas, Tennessee ,Georgia and Florida.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Most Seniors that want a second home (aka "Snowbirds") from here, don't go to Florida for that second home. We were told by some locals here, that those people move to the Phoenix area.

Seems like, no matter where a person/persons live, there is always those complaining about who is moving there. I remember, years and years ago, seeing a bumper sticker in So California that read "I (red heart) NY". Didn't make folks living in So California happy seeing that bumper sticker and they'd say "if you like NY so much, get your butt back there!"

Marie Mallery and Ed Wilson like this.
  7. Laura Jones

Laura Jones Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Tony…I was born on Long Island a town called Freeport most of my extended family is still there I haven’t been back for many years and when I did go back the old accent came back very naturally. We moved away from there when I was 10 years old as my father was an engineer and moved from project to project. I also enjoy reading the views on the forum and will express my views on occasion depending on my mood!

8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome Laura from Fresno, Ca. My first wife was from Tampa and I know Bradenton.
    What are you retired from?

9. Laura Jones

Registered

I was a vocational rehabilitation counselor and worked for the State of Nevada

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Wr do have lots of snowbirds down here,but they are mostly in Miami .Probably locked in to avoid getting mugs. Us northern Floridians don't worry too much about crime we have what we call the second ammendment that takes care of that. Of course Jax is liberal ran so its full of crime.

Ed Wilson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting---I was just talking to our Assisted Living Medical Director who among other things is a LVN

12. Laura Jones

Registered

I loved my work, it was very satisfying helping people.

Marie Mallery and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Welcome, @Laura Jones from the Far North. Glad you are here and I hope you enjoy the conversation(s).

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

Of course not all northerners are radical libs so my previous comment wasn't meant for the sane ones.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Small world I've been to Freeport a few times it's in Nassau County. I'm in Suffolk County more in the center of the island South Shore.

Marie Mallery likes this.