Another Good Movie

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Richard Whiting, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that differs greatly from case to case. In many cases, I am sure that the arrest and prosecution were begun by people who were persuaded that the person being prosecuted was guilty, the problem is that once the police and the prosecutors have decided on a suspect, they are no longer investigating the crime but looking for ways to prove that this person is guilty. On the part of the police, body cams and other audio-video often catches them discussing whether they can get someone on something rather than whether the person is actually guilty, and once they have that focus, contrary evidence is not pursued, often ignored, and sometimes withheld from the defense.

In other cases, the public outcry over the nature of a crime puts a great deal of pressure on the police and the prosecutors, so they are pressured to convict someone, anyone, for the crime. Sadly, even after it has been established that someone who has spent years in prison may not have been guilty of the crime, both the public and the state are invested in that person being guilty, anyhow.

I am also sure that plenty of people are arrested and convicted by corrupt police, prosecutors, and sometimes even judges, but I hope that these represent a minority of cases.

Often, the person who is wrongfully convicted of a crime is someone who has indeed committed crimes, which is why they are on everyone's radar, to begin with, but sometimes they are simply people who, statistically, are believed to be more likely to be the one, such as the statistics that affirm that the spouse is more likely to be the killer when someone is found murdered.

Then there are those who were unfairly targeted, such as the Memphis 3, who had to take an Alfred Plea in order to get out.

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Some people got tired of seeing innocent people in prison so seems they got together strength in numbers kind of thing like the justice system has, I'd think?

3. Richard Joseph

Richard Joseph Active Member
    Registered

Here are some notable trials in history I have bookmarked, including the Scottsboro boys. Galileo was wronged being imprisoned also. The Salem witch trials was a sad time in history too. I have toured Salem, MA.

https://famous-trials.com/

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Socrates was one of my favorites, he tried to tell the fools in Athens that free speech was important. They killed him for it. Although he wasn't exactly a people magnet.
    A fine example of " you can't handle the truth " prophet.

5. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thomas, if you have netflix . and you watch the whole series, you'll be shocked at how many innocent people are in prison ... especially the poor AND most notably blacks.

America has more people in prison, per capita, than any other nation. Aprox, 8 million.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Richard Whiting

Registered

The list of people who were wrong persecuted is nearly endless. When someone believes he/she is acting on behalf of God, there is no end to what they might do.. The Roman catholic church is responsible for the killing of thousands upon thousands of people.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

The elders in the church are and people don't pay attention to who they listen to.

8. Richard Whiting

Registered

It is my opinion and personal experience that many cops have no problem lying under oath. God, knows how many people are in prison because cops have committed purjury.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

true some cops are bad, but most just do their jobs. Imagine where we are heading now with this war on cops instead of crime? Now the county is hiring very questionable people for LE.
    Already many are in important positions who aren't qualified many criminals themselves.
    I don't have the answers if there are any at this point in the game.
    I'd hate to dial 911 and the cartel show up. But it seems to be going that way. Many LE officers are quitting, retirering early or just not joining.

10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Speaking of the devil…it’s good Newsom isn’t interested in being POTUS. I guess he’s already having too much fun screwing California into the dirt. His next brilliant idea.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spenc...n-citizens-to-become-police-officers-n2605649

11. Richard Whiting

Registered

I wouldn't say there is a "war" on cops. I would say, however, that we must keep a microscope on them 100% of the time.
    It is a well known fact that cops will use every and any excuse to stop people, especially minorities, and roust them.
    There is a saying among blacks. "Driving while black".

Once 55 years ago, I was sitting in my car and waiting while my GF was applying for a job. The cops pulled up, and with no reason what-so-ever, had me exit the car and did a "pat down". One of the cops went through my wallet and said, while smiling, "This is known as a casual search for weapons".

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

And it is amazing how many crimes are committed and not punished. I had an issue with a neighbor that was destruction of property. I was told it was a civil issue and the police were not to be involved. Meaning, you have to have enough money to hire a lawyer to fix the problem. You have to pay to defend yourself against law breakers. I then went to a free legal session in another town and hundreds of people were waiting for a chance to get advice in a very short period of time. I went through the process and it was worthless. But being me, I drew my lawyer friend like a gun!

13. Richard Whiting

Registered

You don't necessarily need cops in that case. You can sue someone in small claims court. All you need to do is fill out a few simple papers and then show up at the court date, and make your case to the judge. Your opponent then makes his/her case. If you have any documentation (photos) of the damage the judge may rule in your favor, and aware you damages. The other person is then required to pay you.
    (just like the TV show, "Judge Judy".)

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

Maybe he was looking for drugs? I don't know. I do know many people are keeping the cartel in this nation very wealthy. Many Americans are dying from Fentanyl, they say around 200,000. Not to speak of the killings they are involved in.
    I have to admit it was our generation who built up the drug culture while tearing down the family.

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Much bigger and more involved than that. But even the poor people in line for help, many in tears...