Another Member Going?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 7, 2016.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like it when old threads are resurrected. People don't have to come up with topics in order to keep conversation alive, and there's usually some number of members who were not here for the prior iterations. I've found older threads and tacked current comments onto them rather than start a fresh thread. It's sort of like combining threads to keep the same topic in a single container, except you don't fragment in the first place.

I've been a mod on other forums. We've never locked old stuff. Those things get left there for new members (and even existing ones) to breathe new life into.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. John Brunner

No one accused Cody of being fast. ;)

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It just occurred to me that maybe there is a difference between resurrecting a thread and regurgitating one. :rolleyes::D

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Several of those that have left this forum are on other forums, discovered this about two years ago when I searched a few other forums, just for the heck of it. I even joined one under another name and well, it just was not for me.
    When long time people start leaving that bothers me. When someone long term leaves and does not let anyone know, that makes me wonder why. Those who threaten to leave and never do, or are not gone long, I assume got their feelings hurt .
    In the future if anyone decides they do not care to remain an active status with us- perhaps a short line stating so on Roll Call thread. This way least we know your leaving, and do not have to question as to why.

5. John Brunner

Lazarus vs Jonah.
    -Similarities?
    -Differences?

Discuss.

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  6. John Brunner

I get where you're coming from, but that will never happen. People will always want to know "why?", and most of us would ask the departee to reconsider. People who genuinely don't want to be prodded over their reasons should first go into their account and turn off all email notifications...THEN come say "Goodbye;" otherwise, they are as those who stand at the door--luggage in hand--hoping for a "Please stay" response rather than "I called you a cab." I guess there's nothing wrong with that...we all seek affirmation from time to time.

The only thing that's on my mind when someone disappears is if they are still among the living. We've discussed this before. Other than accomplishing that which Houdini could not, if I kick I ain't got no way of letting you know.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I think you could assign someone to notify us if that should happen. Your bound to have a friend somewhere to whom you could trust. Otherwise I guess no word from you for 6 months means you bit the dust ;)

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

I understand. I think there are a few of us (at least) who are in my boat.

edit to add: Here is the comment I made regarding this subject in the Roll Call thread. There were a few responses, generally in the vein of "People in my life have no idea what a forum is, much less that I'm on them."

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I would estimate that the majority of the people I know, my age, don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about when I invite them to the forum. Like the AOL users of yesterday, they can't think beyond Facebook. The Internet is Facebook to them, and Facebook is the Internet. Thus, a forum would have to be a Facebook group. I have invited several people here and, as yet there are only a few who I know personally, and most of them created an account but have never posted.

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I left though no fault of my own due to earthquake damage and couldn't get back on without establishing a new email creating a new account. Some time later I managed to get in touch with Ken after multiple attempts at recovering my password and sending him emails. I don't have any social media accounts, so I couldn't make contact that way either. Fortunately I managed to get back on. I am just so sad that both Crissy Cross and Holly Saunders have departed the forum during my absence.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I miss them too.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

More will depart...some from personal reasons, others from death.

Peace to them all !

Hal

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

And more shall come.

We are a microcosm of life, except our "Ignore" button actually works.

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

This happens in real life too. We've had old friends, who died, and we never knew about it. In one case, it was 8 months later, in the other a month later. We had not been it touch, but it was still a shock, but most of all it was a missed opportunity to grieve and say our goodbyes. Bob Cratchet said it best in The Christmas Carol...."Life is full of greetings and partings". If you have a will, maybe along with your list of things to give to others, you could write the forum's information, along with a name of a member to notify.

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

just stick around...what else you gonna do

Frank Sanoica likes this.