Any Campers Here?

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Marie Mallery, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds interesting did yall ever have any barn dances in it? I like Rock and Roll mainly then some classics and C&W but we did go to a few barn dances when we were young,they were fun but we didn't dance,didn't know how yo clog or whatevr it is they do..

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

After my parents split up, my mother would take me and my two younger brothers to that campground in Ocean City we used to park the trailer at. We'd take a tent and just spend a week...mom got the tent and the three of us slept in the station wagon.

We used to crab twice a day...every time the tide came in. We had a small kid's plastic sailboat that we would drag to the water to put the crabs in. We wet seaweed and put a layer in the bottom of the boat, put in the crabs as we caught them (almost always a couple of dozen or more per session) and then throw more wet seaweed on top to keep them alive. Then we would drag the boat back to the campsite and steam them. One evening we finished after dark and decided to leave the crabs overnight and steam them in the morning (they'll stay fresh that long in the wet seaweed.) We ate dinner and went to bed.

Our mother liked to read and was in the tent with the Coleman gas lantern on for light, and we were in the station wagon. Suddenly we heard her scream, and rushed over to find about 10 crabs on the tent floor in full-blown arms-up crustacean-attack mode, with mom cowering in the corner. Apparently crabs are not only little escape artists, they are also attracted to light. Lesson learned.

3. John Brunner

You never did polka or square dancing? I recall a little bit of that, but not much. It's the only type of dancing I'll do...it's got steps.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

No I tried a couple times but not around anyone doing it .I did do lots of ball room dance hubby and I won a couple dance contest
    doing Foxtrot,Cha Cha.Mostly classic rock type dance.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

That's pretty cool!

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you John its also history,lol,Now I just dance to exercise and not in public.

Faye Fox likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I just highjacked my own threado_O.

We were camping on the beach at huegonaut Park near Mayport Fl. and a squall or waterspout came on land use closed inside trying to find zipper and potty flying hit me in shins ,once we got out hubby wouldn't turn loose of the tent it took off with hubby airborn holding onto it, sand blinding us wind blowing hubby around couldn't hear me telling him to let the damn thing go.Lots of sites were tore up that night.Few can say they were caught up in a squall camping on land.:eek:

8. John Brunner

The worse part of something like that is getting sand-blasted. Some people pay for derma-brasion, but that has an OFF switch.

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow. That would have ended beach camping for me!

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I know of someone who held barn dances north of here. My barn is split up and, although it is very large would not do well for dances. The living quarters on two floors of the east side. A hay mow takes up two stories of the west side. Just good enough for living rough.

11. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

We were tent camping near Leesburg FL and a storm broke out about 2 a.m. it got very windy and there was a terrible roaring sound passed overhead. Next morning, we found out that a tornado had taken the entire roof off a warehouse three blocks away.

There but for the grace of God.........

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Wow bet that was scary!

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

I must have missed this one Yvonne but sounds like you had a great childhood. And all the conviences too.makes it even better.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We haven't gone camping in years but we do go "RVing." We own a motorhome and I'm itching to load it up and get the hell out of Dodge for a while.

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Well its past time for us too but you are due for a trip for sure. We sold our RV it was too expensive and too big to haul. So now we areback to van or tent but van is good.I sure miss my bus it was really nice.
    Here is our camper we sold in 2019.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Yvonne Smith likes this.