Any Mechanics Here? Help, We Need Advice

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Marie Mallery, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks Teresa, thats one for the silver lining on the cloud.:cool: Just kidding it was nice of him to be honest.

Teresa Levitt and Jake Smith like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Good job, folks.

Marie: When your husband wants to look for more ponies, he can come to my place. I'll hold the trash bags for him.

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank goodness he likes ponies; John I'm having a toddy for the body but only a couple. I'm playing some music nobody likes or maybe its me, but that's life.
    No more Garden parties.

Jake Smith and John Brunner like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Another part just got ordered but whos counting.:D

Jake Smith likes this.
  5. John Brunner

I am.

Please tell me it's just one of these:

Air freshener.jpg

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Nope not unless it cost several hundred bucks. Still tags are practically reinsurance is low and no payments, just lots of work and worry. Not to speak of being stranded off and on.
    I hardly left the place anyway.
    But I hope I live to take one more trip home which may be more dangerous than the autos. Home is outside Atlanta Ga.

Jake Smith and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

All those reasons are why I was pushing 40 before I bought my first new vehicle. Even then I drove 'em till they dropped. If Bambi hadn't been standing in the road one foggy night (friggin' suicidal idiots) I'd still be driving my 1990 Volvo with over 200,000 on it.

8. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL, we can't even blame Bambi.:D

John Brunner and Jake Smith like this.
  9. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A while back like 18 years ago I change the selenoid pack but I think because of the price and lack of money I put a used selenoid pack in, something you should never do.
    Been so long that I can't remember but when it's bad, it will cause a hard shift change and limp mode too where transmission is in limp mode to protect the engine. Anyway, I ordered a new selenoid pack, gasket, Filter, and fluid today and a differential, and speed sensor too. Now I want to put a new head on a truck while I'm waiting on parts to finish the van. The van is running even with ac on and will serve us well until new parts are here, so let's put the new head-on truck in meantime.

10. John Brunner

When I moved here in 2010, I used a shop that was around the corner from my job. I'd drop the stuff off (2005 Canyon and 1990 Volvo 740) and they would drive me to work/pick me up in the PM. I loved those guys.

I had them replace the rear fuel pump in the Volvo, and a couple of days later it would dog whenever you'd hit the gas. It felt fuel-starved to me. I had it towed to the shop for warranty repairs. As it turned out, there was debris in the turbo intake and a couple of flaky solder joints on the relay board (which you pulled out of the dash from under the radio.) The guy had his mechanic clean out the intake and refresh every single solder joint on that board. THEN he refused to take my money!!! I argued violently...I'll hold them to account for poor work, but daggone it I'll also pay for the proper work that's done. Just because I thought you messed up does not mean that you owe me something! He refused to take my money.

The best part was the car had an electronic 2 speed differential...4-on-the-floor with a 5th gear button you pushed. That 5th gear would randomly pop in and out as you drove. The refresh of the solder joints fixed it permanently!

I'm kicking myself for not having driven my truck the 30 miles there to get all this work done on it...I just didn't want to abuse the offer for a ride back home, so I kept it local. The shop I took it to called this morning to increase the estimate on my brake job because they quoted a "standard brake job price" without realizing that the wheel bearings gotta be yanked on my Canyon to replace the rotors. It's not that I mistrust...

Marie Mallery and Jake Smith like this.
  11. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I totally understand where you coming from, had some experiences myself with others doing the work. Put this same van in Ford's place here and every time I talked to them to see how it was going they added another problem to the list, well long story short I had it pulled out of there torn apart and fixed it myself.

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  12. John Brunner

My younger brother (now deceased, God rest his soul) was a mechanic since before high school. He eventually started his own business, then bought a piece of land and built his own 8 bay shop. One of his customers got my brother written up in a local paper because the customer came in with a not-quite-right running car, and it turned out that another place had mis-installed the timing belt. It was out of warranty. My brother called the other shop, told them that they did the work wrong in the first place and that warranty shouldn't matter, and he got them to install a new one for free for the guy.

The guy at that shop I liked so much reminded me of him.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sorry about your brother, I lost two of mine. Good thing the guy met your brother and got the guy's car fixed.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

Remember Montgomery Ward? They did the original timing belt work. I'm not sure my brother did the guy any favors sending him back there, even if it was free work.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered