Any Mechanics Here? Help, We Need Advice

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Marie Mallery, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We have one of those kinds of sites, but I forgot the name of it.

Jake Smith and John Brunner like this.
  2. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Drove the truck to town again today and did great, so far so good. :)

3. Jake Smith

Registered

Van is doing great all the way across town and back today, shifts like a champ. Sixty miles there and back. Guess the selenoid pack and speed sensor was the culprit all along. :D

4. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

All the ATs today are using electric over hydraulics. Every vehicle has different symptoms for problems. You can have a simple governor pressure regulator solenoid in a Dodge go bad and it won't shift. You can still drive most of them without one shift but you will start seeing the oil turn very dark from misplaced valves in the valve body. Bumping is what you would call it when two or more valves do not travel within their range or length because of fluid on the wrong side of a valve etc. A lot more complicated than this little Tank game I'm building :) My point is often a lot of times replacing a pressure regulator solenoid will fix no shifts. I've seen GM transmissions run so hot all the plastic clearance washers totally melt and they still manage to shift somehow, but not forever.

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Our vehicles are old like us, 1987 Nissan pickup and 1995 E350 1 ton van.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Jake Smith and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  6. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Past two days my governor pressure regulator has had me not shifting gears. I felt better all day today but then to make a great day sour my one little cat had another seizure. I am going to go get my drivers license renewed first of this coming month and then I will take the little fella and see what the vet thinks,. I still believe it is a dose of that flea spray got to it and it will eventually clear his system or liver or what ever. Sure would hate to lose the little guy especially with him being so active and healthy.

7. Jake Smith

Registered

Probably so Thomas, but changing this selenoid pack on this one has made it shift better than it ever has. Before I changed it was hitting hard in fourth gear every time and the o/d light flashed and it would downshift to third and jump back and forth from third to fourth until the light didn't flash anymore or you stopped it and cut it off, to reset. So seeing how smooth and dependable it's doing now, I believe it's fixed. :)

8. Jake Smith

Registered

Sorry about your cat, hope the cat gets better. And good luck with your license.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hope the kitty is ok.
    We killed a cat bathing it in flea shampoo. ER Vet cost almost $400 trying to save it , that was 45 years ago since we are very careful, but we don't have cats here now the owls killed my old 14 yr old cat.I miss my cats so much.

10. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Back in the 80s when the GM 440 axle appeared many were just off the transport and the cars would die at a red light like you popped the clutch on an old car or truck without giving it any gas. It turned out to be the gasket in the lockup valve being too thin and the high pressure oil would get thru that thin gasket locking up the torque convertor. Not so hard to repair but a brand new car shouldn't be released before they finish the engineering. Then there was the little Ford front wheel drives, they used a long spline d small diameter shaft that mated to te torque convertor and then in the rear it drove the main oil pump. You could drive into the store parking lot and have no trouble then go to shop come out and put it in gear and you got nothing, no movement at all. The shaft just stripped all splines when the torque of the engine hit it once to many times. I figured out how to repair it without removing it from the car. Just unbolt the pump housing and rear clutch housing and pull the old shaft out and replace it. Wiggle the clutch teeth to get the housing back on with everything realigned and that was it.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Jake Smith

Registered

It never surprises me about poorly engineered designs anymore, due to fixing so many stupid designs coming out of factories. I personally think that they do it to fail, and that will make more money for them. Like they say, follow the money. Most things anymore, if it works, they fix it, so it won't. Daddy, use to say if it works don't fix it. :)

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Guys like Thomas Stillhere amaze me. They could probably fix anything mechanical.
    I asked my handiman to fix the brakes on my cub cadet lawn tractor if he could. I hadn't been able to even MOVE it for weeks and hay is coming in. It is in the way. In the old days, I would have lifted it, in increments, to the side. I had to do it when I got stuck in a ditch while mowing ocassionally . But can't quite do it anymore.
    So he got down on hands and knees ( something else I can't do) He poked something under the tractor, got some silicone spray or something; poke, spray, push-- the machine moved. He started it up and off he went.
    Hope your kitty is OK Thomas. Vets can be very expensive. Ask if TMG can work on cats. (trimethylglycine)
    OK, I just looked it up and, yes, it can be used on cats. and you can get it online as well as vitamins, no license required.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  13. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

I actually believe the manufacturers were glad the government stuck their noses in on their business because now they can build crap and blame it on the government, they have made billions more just by providing all the extra system parts and they can legally build an inferior product without being blamed.

14. Jake Smith

Registered

That is so true, "I believe". When someone no smarter than I am, can see something wrong with today's designs, you know something is wrong. Like all the new things they adding to the vehicles, that are not needed to make them perform well, it's insanity to me. People have to spend more on code readers nowadays, and classes to be certified to work on them than we ever spent on parts to fix a problem, in our days.:rolleyes:

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's all a part of keeping us all enslaved.