Any Mechanics Here? Help, We Need Advice

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Marie Mallery, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Don, didn't you work on big boats or do I have you mixed up with somebody else? I'm confused these days ya know.

Jake Smith likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Registered

Cody Although its really frustrating trying to fix these old autos, buying a newer old model will require the same kinda problems, IMO of course.
    Not giving advice of course just saying why we don't buy another one.

Jake Smith likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Until I was nearing 40, I always bought used/paid cash, driven them for a few years, traded up when I saw a For Sale sign on something better, then sold the old one. Coupled with lower property taxes and lower insurance premiums, and it was like driving for free.

My best deal was a 1975 Vega station wagon 4-on-the-floor that had 24,000 miles on it. I paid $500 for it...it was only 5 or 6 years old at the time. They guy had a bunch of minor issues with it, and the latest involved a loss of spark. He replaced the entire electronic ignition system, and the problem ended up being a broken timing belt. I happened to be there when he was ready to put a match to the thing.

Bobby Cole and Jake Smith like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

I told hubby it would be a sin to sell this truck to some poor unsuspecting sucker.

Jake Smith, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

In my less scrupulous days...my ex had a Fiat 850 Sport Coupe. Every once in a while you'd be driving down the road and the thing would just die. I could never figure out if the problem was fuel or ignition. So she bought another car (a 1961 Austin Healey Sprite Mk II) and was selling the Fiat. She was gonna let if go for $250 because of the issues, and I told her if she put that price on it, she'd be advertising the fact that it had issues. We sold it for $650.

These days, I just don't have the heart to do that stuff to folks, unlike my father who was an Arab horse trader until the end.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That reminds me of one of my best deals on a used vehicle I got. It was a 98 Olds in great shape. I just happened to be in right place at the right time to get it. Like you said this guy was ready to put a match to it too. He had a ton of receits where he had put money in that car. I got it for $50.00 , less than , it would cost for one of the tires on it. I still have trouble believing it. I made money on it, after we had great service from it.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I hope you ask for forgiveness, for doing that to some poor unsuspecting shmuck.
    We all did foolish things when young. We knew what we could be getting when we bought the old truck but this one has been a real challenge, maybe the biggest of all .

Jake Smith and John Brunner like this.
  8. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just got two notifications , on Van and Truck parts , there being shipped right now, and delivery 24-25. "cool".

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The bottom line is, that keeping and maintaining a dependable auto is going to cost money if you drive much. The last four vehicles I had were new because I use to drive a lot for work. 80k a year was the minimum. After I quit driving except for short distances, I bought my last car. It was new! That was 10 years ago and it has 40k on it. I keep up the service at the dealership every 5k and it runs like new. I have put one set of tires and one new battery in it. That is all. The problem these days is a good newer used low mileage auto cost about as much as a new one.

I will never regret having to watch my money and not buying or doing things so I could make the payments for 4 years on a new car, my final auto forever. I had it paid off in 3 years despite the fact I bought it at 2% interest because it wasn't a popular color and didn't have all the bells and whistles of the fancier models. It also has fake wood on the interior that no one liked including me, but it was about 5k off the sticker price because it was the end of the year and the lot had to be cleared.

I wrote down my offer and of course, the guy says he has to go talk to the boss. I said no, bring the boss out here so everyone can hear. He said he couldn't do that, so I said I was leaving and grabbed my keys right out of his hands and went out to my car they had parked at the far end of the lot and started to pull out and I see this guy doing jumping jacks blocking the exit. I inquire what his problem was and he says he is the boss and will accept my offer for $8k under the sticker at 2% interest for 4 years (special sale interest set by Toyota for 4-year loans) since his big boss has told him to have the lot cleared by closing time or get a new job.

To this day anyone riding with me or driving me in my car can't help but asked what provoked me to buy a car with the awful nauseous producing plastic fake wood. My reply is $8K, eight large off a $19K sticker price. I still have the original paperwork to convince doubters.

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Marie Mallery Congratulations on getting Jake to join rather than making self-glorifying statements and saying, "and my husband agrees." :D

11. John Brunner

[​IMG]

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

:D your welcome Faye he is not much of a forum person, but he is learning. He likes to work, sometimes too much. I ask him if he isn't doing things to those vehicles.;). It sure keeps off the 'honey do list'.He now has an excuse, " I'm working on the truck, Vân, etc, right now, I'll get to it later".

Faye Fox likes this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Faye likes to add some 'spice' to the forum,huh?:p

14. John Brunner

But thanks to you, it will be "Can't do it now, Hon...I'm creating a Thread."

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dern. Get a new husband on this forum and a single guy broadcasts the best kept secret I’ve had to the new guy’s wife AND mine.