Any Preppers Or Sustainable Living Proponents?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Marie Mallery, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

They are available but expensive. It might be almost as cheap to get a generator large enough to power your well. Of course, that would only last as long as the fuel to run it.
    Link to pump

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It probably depends on what else is available. Like I said, Alaskans don't eat pink salmon, but most of the world thinks it is great. We used to feed the pinks to the dogs. I don't know that I have ever had Atlantic salmon, but have eaten all 5 species of Pacific salmon. Halibut is also fine canned, but it doesn't seem to last as long as salmon when it is canned. The fattier fish such as tuna, salmon, and mackerel seem to last better. The fish will be safe to eat for a long time, but the non-fatty fish seem to not taste as good after a few months in storage. Fatty fish also smoke better.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe stick to the bucket and a good rope. Or pully set up. I think open wells are good to have long as covered well. Ours is pipe well. We tried the hand pump and I made them angry when I told them to take it back out I could pee faster than that thing pumped water, made me very mad. So they tore up bottom pump getting it out. They should have known better than to set such a con-traction up in the first place.

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Are sardines fatty fish?

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am not sure that @Shirley Martin can actually use any kind of a hand pump with a well that deep. They usually only have a small diameter pipe for the water to come up, unlike a shallow well, which has a much larger circumference.
    We had one that was about 25 feet deep, and were able to haul water up by the bucket full from that well. We put an old claw foot bathtub right by the well, and then when we hauled the bucket up we just dumped the water into the bathtub and brought it inside as we used it.

We didn’t actually use the well water for drinking water, but it was fine for washing things and even to use in the little garden we had, and the horses drank from it.
    I used to put the rope around the horse’s neck and chest and then lead him away from the well and he pulled up the 5 gallon bucket of water. My oldest son would then dump out the bucket into the bathtub, and we repeated the process until we had the tub full of water.

Beth Gallagher and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yep.

7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I think preppers have the rules of 2-3. You can live without air for 2-3 minutes; you can live without water for 2-3 days; you can live without food for 2-3 weeks.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can't find this info on this right now, but I'll keep looking.

There is a manual pump that ties into your existing well system that acts as a substitute for the electric pump, meaning that you hand-pump water through the system, into the pressure tank,and through the indoor plumbing. There is no exterior spigot...this is part of the sealed system. So you could leave your kitchen faucet open, go outside and use the manual pump, and you'd fill your sink with water. Or you could pressurize your tank so you can flush your toilet.

I was looking into these when I first moved in, and the well company no-showed me on the appointment. I never followed up because electricity here ended up being highly reliable.

9. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

after water, fire for heat or light maybe even cooking would be of high demand.

for that purpose back in 2014 i challenged myself to improve on the humble candle. what i wound up with was an inside out version. a 100% cotton fabric wick wrapped around a beeswax core. it turned out amazing! it formed a carbon chimney as it burned shrouding the gasified wax protecting the flame from wind. compared to traditional candles it burned hotter, brighter, with minimal waste. it was stackable to keep the flame perpetually burning as they get smaller. if the short stub is placed on a lump of wax it would siphon every bit of it from below. clustered with even spacing it would boil water in 5 minutes, not the fastest but would do. splayed wide open it becomes an effective firestarter.

there's many more non-combustible related uses with this tool such as making gaskets, wax lubricant/coating applicator, lip balm when dipped in mead, etc.

it can be made quite easily by hand though i have designed and started assembling a machine to manufacture them.

just something i do for fun...
    6D55F846-B7BC-4CF9-B71D-886A3DB7EE1F.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    John Brunner likes this.
  10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Due to some work the water company may be doing on pipes, the water can become dingy looking afterwards and they issue a boil advisory for a day or two, so I have 3 gallons of store bought spring water in the cupboard and 3 gallons of clean tap water in the basement.

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

More than likely that spring water came from around here. I don't blame anyone for buying it 'I buy it myself sometimes' but it is not good for the environment, not only ruining the springs but the plastic bottle's are one of the worst for polluting the earth and killing wild life.

250 to 300 million tons of plastic made each year!

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Plastic is like cockroaches,indestructible- :mad:

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

I didn't realize just how bad it is till last few years, most don't know its not anyone's fault really its just the way it is.

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a generator and I can store enough gas for a few days or maybe a couple of weeks if I'm stingy with it. But I have no way to store a lot of it. The pumps are expensive but if the SHTF, they would be worth it in the long run. If the S doesn't HTF, I'd be left with a a very expensive lawn ornament. I'll have to ponder upon that for a while longer.

Something else to possibly stock up on; molasses.

3½ ounces of molasses supplies the following % of daily nutrients:

290 calories

vitamin B5-- 16%

vitamin B6-- 52%

calcium – 21%

iron – 36%

magnesium – 68%

manganese – 73%

potassium – 31%
    It has more but those are the main ones.
    Plus it tastes good.

I hadn't thought about candles but did you know that you can put a candle inside a tin can and put a pot on top of it and cook on it. I learned that in Boy Scouts. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Shirley this is good to know. I may replace the pure maple syrup with the molasses.