Anyone Do Any Home Canning?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Marie Mallery, Jul 16, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeh, those are certainly the Cadillac canner. No gaskets to fail, just accurately machined metal-to-metal.

I've got a Goodwill-find Presto I picked up a while ago. I had to buy the weights on Ebay. I've not used it yet.

Kate Ellery and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Those would be on the other end of the mound if we planted them on it. Hope to get back to planting this fall if we can. I'll plant potatoes in a tub inside greenhouse.We don't have good results with potaoes don't know why.

3. Marie Mallery

Registered

We used Presto too.it scared the heck out of me when it blew up like a ballon but didn't explode thank goodness. That inspired us ro buy the one that scews down.
    Not saying yours will explode at all we used it for couple years before that happened . Maybe the release vent got stuck ,don't know.So if I just have one of those I'd use it and see how I like canning before I went to expense of the best one.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's kinda why I was interested in that propane burner setup you use. If I saw a canner or other pressure cooker swell up like that, I would poop my pants. Better outside than indoors.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yea we always can outside an inspect propane tank to make sure its still safe too.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

People who hunt like to can too. We don't hunt hubby now loves the deer he use to kill to eat,lol.
    Here is a short lesson on canning ,we have found so many helgful YT videos on all kinds of things. Plus my friend is really into canning.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

We don't can as much now either. We do have some dried beans we want to can maybe some chicken for the dog .Good thing about chicken we can bones and all and its ready to make dog food or even food for us if need be.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

My Mom was from North Carolina tobacco country and she canned vegetables. If she didn't get enough tomatoes to can from her garden she'd buy overripe ones from farmers or from the store and can them. I recall that the process seemed quite laborious with sterilizing the jars and all. I loved the results, though.

I remember cautioning her to always use the proper matching lids for the mason jars because sometimes she'd get careless and use any lid that fit. She was one to do things her own way and didn't pay much attention to me. The last year she canned anything, one of her jars of canned tomatoes that didn't have the right lid had a nasty brown color instead of the usual nice red. I quietly disposed of it without pointing it out to her. She's 93 in this picture. I miss her so, so much.
    mom.jpg

9. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

lovely mother..I am from the north carolina foothills..we did lots of canning

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I canned some squash pickles today while Earl E. Bird watched.
    DSCN4330.JPG

Pickled squash????? :eek: You say. That's what I thought to start with. A friend gave me the recipe and I put it aside for several years. But then one summer, I had squash up the ying yang and I thought, "Well, Why not?" They turned out to be delicious. You can't buy them at the grocery store.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Those squash look good, Shirley. My great aunt (grandma's sister) used to pickle all kinds of stuff, from watermelon rind to who knows what. I think she was just bored but she made the best bread-and-butter pickles on the planet.

12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Friends in the next town make pickled zucchini with a little onion / capsicum they are my favourite with a bit of cheese on a dry biscuit .

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds wonderful. Now we gotta teach them Aussies to spell without all those extra 'u's. :)

Kate Ellery and Marie Mallery like this.
  14. Kate Ellery

Registered

131EB16C-439A-4E13-B691-5FC4F10ED815.gif
    @Dwight Ward

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. Kate Ellery

Registered