Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I left out that part of the story. The China info was stamped on the plastic, but on the paper label it says "processed in Taiwan." So Chinese peaches processed in Taiwan sold at your local grocer. :rolleyes:

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A few years ago some Federal agency gave the green light for chickens to be shipped from America to China for processing, and then shipped back to America to be sold. Setting aside the fact that I would not want to eat poultry that has traveled that far and been handled that much, I would love to see the economics behind that transaction. Can they really save that much money?

Regarding global food supplies in general...we all recall when you ate produce that was in season. You looked forward to peach and apple and corn and strawberry seasons. Not any more. The stuff is as ubiquitous as it is flavorless.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I am pissed. I turned on my PC only to be greeted with Microsoft Edge. What the /!x!? I've never signed on to it. Tried Google Chrome and it was like I never used it even when it is or was my default choice. Everything looks completely different. I had to login SOC as if I never did before. What the /!!!!? There wasn't an upgrade when I powered down last night either.

Let me get out my password glossary I believe I'm gonna need it.:confused:

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Update on rant. I restarted my PC and everything is back to what I consider normal.

5. John Brunner

If only life were that easy.

[​IMG]

Don Alaska, Tony Page and Von Jones like this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I did that when I was trying to get out of Microsoft Edge but it wouldn't let me so I got out of Google. So I washed the dishes, came back and just restarted the PC.

7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I admit I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to using my computer, tablet, or Android phone. So it's possible I'm doing something wrong. A year and a half ago I purchased an Android Samsung phone from QVC for the sole purpose of using it as a tablet, I never hooked up the phone. What's been annoying is changes are made to the phone that I don't remember doing. As an example yesterday while looking through my icons I found four games that I never installed, that weren't there the day before. The only game I ever installed is Solitaire, which I uninstalled about 3 months ago because of the amount of advertisements. So how did these four games get on my Android phone? I uninstalled them, but I wonder what other things are being done to my phone that I can't see. I have ordered things online from this phone, I wonder how safe my credit card information is.

Don Alaska and Ed Wilson like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

As I recall the story, they weren't charged for shipping, which suggests that the taxpayers paid the bill for that.

9. John Brunner

Gotta love all the stories about how China has taken us over as the world's economic leader, yet they still get Developing Nation dispensations.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. John Brunner

After almost 10 years of service, the water softener I installed took a poop maybe a week or so ago. I just discovered it Friday when I started having weird kidney stones again (3 months after having lithotripsy. See the stone post here.) Turns out that my water softener stopped removing the minerals from my well water. These things sometimes get a salt "dam," meaning that the salt pellets dissolve and form a hard layer between the pellets and the water supply, blocking the salt from doing its job. This is most common in high-humidity areas. I've never experienced it.

Water Softener dam.jpg

Mine had not formed a dam. I had maybe 8"-10" of a solid hard salt mass on the bottom of the softener and up on the tank & brine well, with a few pellets on top. It took nearly 3 hours of chipping and scraping and using slats and other long instruments to try to get the salt fragments from the tight spaces around the components. It's too deep to get your hand down to touch the bottom so I used a shop vac to suck the stuff up.

I am behind schedule doing routine maintenance on it, so maybe that caused it. It's only the second time I've missed the scheduled date. Maybe I got lucky the first time. What a pain in the butt.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

So, John B., did the kidney stones pass all at once? Isn't it painful to pass kidney stones? Mother talking now :rolleyes: How could you lax on maintaining the water softener? Especially when it directly affects your health. It's not okay that it's 'only the second time.' I have more but I'm afraid that @Ken Anderson will boot me off SOC if I continue. Just mark your calendar and stick to it.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

When a cat gets kidney stones they are like globs of sand. The ones I get from hard water are like that. So they're not large enough to be problematic (except that my kidney has still been sore from the laser lithotripsy I had, and I felt these passing.)

You know, I won't lax on that maintenance again. I slack on it because changing the whole house filters is a pain, but I could always run the cleaner through it on time (which is what caused the failure.) It never occurred to me that (a) the softener would just stop doing its thing, and (b) temporarily consuming hard water would do this to me. I've had these hard water stones just once in my life, and that was 14 years ago when I first moved here and had not installed the softener.

It makes me angry that I just went through the process of having the stones cleared out, and then I go and do this. But this is not a long-term stone forming issue. I'm pretty sure the hard water minerals get filtered out and are gone, not the calcium/oxylate crystals that form & grow. Last time, the stones immediately went away when I stopped drinking the unsoftened water. When I saw my urologist the end of May (2 months after the laser surgery) he told me I could still expect to pass bits of stones from the surgery, so I'm not horribly concerned. My initial panic was that I was having the bad stones form in my bladder again.

And please chastise me when you see fit. My objectivity is too subjective for my own good.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We got SCAMMED! I knew my wife really wanted a Silver Belly (white) Cowboy Hat, but, depending on the hatmaker, that can be a very expensive hat.

While looking at Facebook last Friday, an ad came on about getting a Stetson Silver Belly (white) hat for $9.95. I thought it would probably be an overstock item, because nothing was advertised with the hat. IOW, I was overly excited about getting her a Silver Belly (white) Cowboy Hat, nothing came into my mind.

Well, after talking to Stetson Hat Company Rep, found out the thing was a scam. She had gotten numerous calls all week concerning the hat scam.

Called the bank that issues the card and they are sending us new ones. In a couple of days, we have to call the bank back and issue a Dispute The Charges and the charges will go back onto our card.

So, yesterday I ordered a Cody James (Boot Barn brand) Silver Belly Cowboy Hat from Boot Barn. It was $84, but is good enough for what she will wear it for. It, like our black felt hats, are only worn during winter months. We have straws to wear during summer months.

14. John Brunner

Scammers suck. So if it were the real thing, how would you expect a genuine Silver Belly (white) Cowboy Hat to cost?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When you are online, after using SOC, look up Stetson Hat Company and then look at Men's Silver Belly Cowboy Hats. They aren't cheap by any means.