Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh hon you better get something done about that. I've heard those can explode or catch fire. If it's swelling that's not good. Be careful and get that tended to ok?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The National Association of Manufacturers has long-said that there are typically 500,000 open positions in manufacturing in the United States. They just can't find applicants who are literate enough or who can do basic math good enough to pass entry exams. And people want to bring manufacturing back to this country...

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Marci Miller

Registered

My math skills suck and I'm not afraid to admit it. However it doesn't interfere with my job performance. But when I'm looking at a pan of lettuce and the lid has a label that says "luttuce" it just sets me off. LOL

4. Marci Miller

Registered

I'm not racist by any means. I love people who are nice to me and even some that aren't. But we have this Asian lady at work that can not read the tickets and she will tell someone we need applesauce when it's apple juice. Drives me crackers.

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. John Brunner

Okay, I had to circle back on this.

I took it to be an example of the superior camera in Apple phones, because one of the other ladies here mentioned it when my digital camera battery went bad as I was trying to get pics of strutting turkey in my yard. But the pic struck me as odd, since it's a stock photo and not an Apple-phone photo.

Then my mind was on something totally unrelated and it hit me. :rolleyes:

Now, it would be ungentlemanly of me to call any lady here a smart aleck, so we'll just let it go.

smart aleck ;)

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Marci Miller

Registered

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Grin and Bear it Marci for you are indeed in a much better educated atmosphere than in many free standing restaurants.
    In south Florida, many kitchens use Haitians and Cubans for utility people (dishwashers, janitorial, some bus people) and where we live now in Alabama the kitchens are filled with Latinos.

They’re all hard workers but unfortunately there is a language barrier since most are entry level and right out of their home countries with little if any grip on the English language. Some of them do graduate to prep or the line but even then a lot of them still have reading challenges.
    I was a consultant for one restaurant in Florida which had 2 prep cooks who couldn’t read the recipe books because they were in English. The bar sitting owner paid me a steep price to tell him to either get the books translated into English or find English reading prep cooks.

Personally, I would have fired the owner if I could have. He stayed polluted and didn’t have the sense to hire a kitchen manager or a chef and again, paid me to tell him why his food and guest patronage went way south.

Don Alaska and Marci Miller like this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Learning the English language should be a mandatory requirement in order to stay in the US. Maybe schooling strictly for learning the language. Just a thought.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Did you miss the symbolism?? :p

10. John Brunner

I was in Delayed Response mode. My mind is a Crock Pot.

11. Marci Miller

Registered

It's sad that they can find all kinds of foreigners who don't speak english to work but our own people wanna sit at home and collect unemployment when there's lots of jobs right now. Our base pay went up to $14 an hr. However they won't advertise it so we have no help. We got people to work these other positions now but no cooks. We're gonna be in a pickle by the end of the month because I can't and won't work 7 days a week. Our guy that's spent the summer working almost every day will be returning to his part time job and we have no one to take his place that other weekend. Our grill fill in back in the kitchen goes back to work at the college so nobody to relieve C when that happens and so many of us work different positions so that it basically ties our hands when we have too little to work with. On top of this...our evening cook is taking vacation at the worst possible time so I will be doing her shift and I don't know where we will be getting coverage for the grill and lead cooks back there during those days.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It’s good that you work in a hospital but then again, it’s not so good. Good in that you can garner that kind of base pay but not so good because you do not have a relationship with other food prep facilities.
    If your supervisor knew other food people in other facilities he or she could make a couple of calls and bring in some temporary part time professionals who simply want the extra money.

One thing about it though. Even though it’s tearing down your body and half your brain, it’s job security. Been there, done that.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. John Brunner

So I don't have a functioning phone. I noticed my phone vibrate when I get a call but there is no ring tone. There is no touch pad tone. I cannot have a conversation or call voice mail because there is no audio at all on the thing, even if I turn on the speaker. This is insane!!! Mr. Fix It broke it.

*sigh*

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Time to get a prepaid and not worry about it....

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I would, but my internet service is all tied up in having this Verizon account.

Don Alaska likes this.