Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Not a rant. Just an observation.

A second loaf of bread recently that molded. Both Nature's Own Honey Wheat, both from the same Dollar General. First noticed July 4th. "Best Used By" date was July 5th. By the time it gets near the expiration date, bread is usually a bit stale (dries out). This was just like soft moist fresh bread on the first day.

Something is fishy. I haven't changed anything I do. Another puzzle. ;)

Maybe it's the way they store the bread somewhere along the way, or they've changed the packaging so it keeps in moisture better?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've not noticed that with bread because I keep mine in the freezer...I go through so little of it. But I have noticed 2 things with milk: the expiry dates are pushed way far out, and the milk seems to turn well before those dates arrive.

I wonder if your bread issue is due to the humid summertime that is upon us.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Registered

I usually keep bread outside the refrigerator until it starts to get dry. Then put it in the freezer. I've had several half loaves in there many times.

It's just odd. I've not seen moldy bread for so long, maybe decades, I almost forgot what it looks like.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

And then, like the bread we got last Friday on a Walmart curbside pick-up, that had no Use By date on it. Not even the words "Use By" were on it. So, we use for a week and dump it.

One thing about Walmart curbside pick-up, the very young Walmart employees doesn't look at "Use By" or "Expires By" dates on stuff they pick from the shelf. One time, we got something that had expired two weeks before we bought it!

John Brunner and Nancy Hart like this.
  5. John Brunner

I gotta think there's a Use By somewhere on it. They seem to put it in tiny print, and in a color that does not contrast with the background. I liked it when the date was always on the tag that holds the end closed. I'm at the point that when I find the expiry date on stuff, I write that date on the front of the can or package with a Sharpie.

I was in Walmart a month or so ago going through the random lunch meats and pork products that were throw in a chest cooler, and came upon a package that had expired months earlier. I've never encountered such an out-of-date item before.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

oh rats - I have used that bread many t times but never noticed that. Tnx for the info

7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Bread is normally color coded. Each color is for day of the week. You have to look up, I do not remember what each one is for. That might help a little. Bread does not last long here. Stores are required to pull items that may expire long before they do. But with lack of help and numerous other reasons now, that is not happening. Where I worked candy even was pulled a month in advance of expiration date. Then it is sent back for credit or dumped. So, yes now along with bagging our own, we will have to play food detective and look for expiration dates.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Registered

It hasn't stopped me from buying it. I really like that bread. Bought another loaf yesterday, but at a different store, and checked the date this time. I'll probably stick it in the freezer a little earlier than normal for a while, and eventually go back to normal and forget about it. It's probably a one time thing due to some unusual circumstances.

(Btw, I meant Nature's Own, Not Nature's Farm)

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My rant for today is the HORRIBLE Phone answering systems employed by large companies and medical groups.

Don Alaska and D'Ellyn Dottir like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

[​IMG]Seriously there are cards for this? Is this suppose to be a joke? Smh.. sigh.. this rant is enough for today.

11. John Brunner

I don't understand.

Is this a real birthday card for those who have chosen an alternate career path, or is it meant to call someone out who probably views him/her self as just being friendly? If it's the latter, I would think there would be better days to do such a thing.

(I got other comments about this but don't want to completely flush my reputation. Nor will I ask how you came upon this.)

12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@John Brunner ..yes real card on Amazon. Its true purpose I am not sure . Not sure why I am surprised. Once while looking for a bra a picture of a rather large hairy man was posing in his.

Bobby Cole, Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

Okay, I had to look. That person is a cast member of Real Housewives of New Jersey. The seller makes handmade "celebrity-inspired" stuff (this one came off his or her printer and costs $7.)

Just like an Olive Garden salad, standards are bottomless.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I do not watch regular tv,, so I did not know. still this is bad enough,, but some are much worse on there. eek:eek:

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

This is not my rant, but I had to post it. I'm on NextDoor.com and saw this:

***********************************************************​
    UPS man mailbox hit and run.
    Hi neighbors today at approximately 12:00 a UPS truck took out our mailbox. Thankfully a nice man stopped and brought the mailbox and mail up to our door but said he failed to get the plate of the driver. We have filed a claim with UPS but they said there were no deliveries make on our road at that time we tried to explain that it could have been on a cul de sac but I think they are just trying to get out of it. If anyone got a UPS delivery today Thursday 7/8 (at around 12:00) if you wouldn’t mind sharing your address with us so we can provide it to UPS.
    ***********************************************************​

What can Brown do to you?

Bobby Cole and Faye Fox like this.